Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2019, 12:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Jeep Wrangler Rubicon spotted in India

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Scoop! Jeep Wrangler Rubicon spotted in India-rubicon3.jpg

The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon has been spotted in India for the first time. The test mule was seen driving on the street of Pune.

Scoop! Jeep Wrangler Rubicon spotted in India-rubicon4.jpg

The Wrangler Rubicon is positioned at the higher end of the Wrangler line up and comes with features aimed at improving its off-roading capability. The test vehicle is the 3-door version. However, a 5-door version is also available in the international market.

Scoop! Jeep Wrangler Rubicon spotted in India-rubicon2.jpg

The Wrangler Rubicon is equipped with 17-inch alloy wheels wrapped in off-road tyres. It has a chunky front bumper that house a set of fog lamps and plastic fenders. It gets daytime running lights and Rubicon logos on either side of the bonnet. At the rear, the Rubicon has a spare wheel and a plastic rear bumper with integrated reflectors.

Scoop! Jeep Wrangler Rubicon spotted in India-rubicon1.jpg

As standard, the Wrangler Rubicon is powered by a 3.6-litre V6 petrol engine that produces 285 BHP and 353 Nm of torque and comes paired with a 6-speed manual transmission, while an 8-speed automatic gearbox is available as an option. A 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine is available as an option. It has a Rock-Trac 4x4 system with locking differentials and performance suspension. It comes fitted with rock rails, fuel tank skid plate shield and transfer case skid plate shield as standard.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 09:37   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop! Jeep Wrangler Rubicon spotted in India

Nice scoop! And very happy to see Jeep India bringing in such extreme machines. If we can have supercars on sale in India, why not the best 4x4s?

Just FYI, this is among the most extreme offroaders in the world. It's the proverbial "car you'd take to a war" and there is nothing that can stop it. Will be stupidly expensive as a CBU, but if you want to offroad without compromises, this is it.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 11:34   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If we can have supercars on sale in India, why not the best 4x4s?
Correct, it makes sense to have a two door variant in Rubicon for the guys who can spend and won't need/ bother for extra doors. I won't be surprised if the two-door variant sells more then the four-door variant. I hope they bring this to our market.

It pains to see absolutely Zero efforts by the giant Maruti/ Suzuki which probably is alive worldwide due to Indian operations and giving such treatment to Indian customers. The least they could have done was to launch a limited run of 100 Units by auction or whatever. Every single country overseas is getting these except us, perhaps for Maruti Indian customers are too poor to afford their CBU cars

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...ml#post4582183 (New Suzuki Jimny in 2018)

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th May 2019 at 11:36.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 12:26   #4
BHPian

https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...3825/#leadform

"The butch and brawny SUV in its 3-door Rubicon trim was spotted at a Jeep dealership in Pune while being tested by ARAI

It is no secret that the 2019 Jeep Wrangler is set to be launched in India soon. It has also been spotted testing here multiple times in both the Unlimited and the Sahara trims. But now, what we have here are fresh spy shots of the upcoming Jeep Wrangler in its full-blown hardcore Rubicon trim. The fourth generation of the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon in its 3-door guise was spotted without any camouflage outside a Jeep dealership."
suneel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 13:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Will be stupidly expensive as a CBU, but if you want to offroad without compromises, this is it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I won't be surprised if the two-door variant sells more then the four-door variant. I hope they bring this to our market.
What are your guesses on the price though? With Wrangler at around 60-65 lakhs I don't know what to even speculate.

I'm genuinely wondering who would really buy it at such a high price. Its going to follow the Wrangler sales figure only, in fact lesser would be my guess.
Old 15th May 2019, 13:19   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
What are your guesses on the price though? With Wrangler at around 60-65 lakhs I don't know what to even speculate.

I'm genuinely wondering who would really buy it at such a high price. Its going to follow the Wrangler sales figure only, in fact lesser would be my guess.
Since they will be launching with 2 Ltr. Petrol, with lower custom duty @ 60 % unlike 100 % on the previous generation, even with the increased costs due to ZF Gearbox and the newer engine, I expect them to price cheaper than outgoing by a couple of lacs at least.

By now, FCA will be more experienced and can predict better about Indian market 2 Door Rubicon and Unlimited- Sahara, definitely makes sense

http://www.siamindia.com/economic-af...8&pgidtrail=20
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Jeep Wrangler Rubicon spotted in India-11.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th May 2019 at 13:22.
Old 15th May 2019, 14:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
By now, FCA will be more experienced and can predict better about Indian market 2 Door Rubicon and Unlimited- Sahara, definitely makes sense
I'm really hoping there's a Rubicon Unlimited as well in the cards. I get that the 2 Door Rubicon might be more appealing to true enthusiasts, but it just doesn't have the practicality of the 4 door. And some of us want to capability of the Rubi and practicality of the 4 door.

It's gonna be a tough call between and Unlimited Sahara and a 2 Door Rubi.
On the plus side, both models coming here means that easily attainable and swappable parts can bridge the gaps to some degree.
Old 9th July 2019, 11:15   #8
BHPian

https://www.carwale.com/news/nextgen...ting-in-india/

The latest leak pretty much confirms a 4 door Rubicon for India!

Our thoughts and prayers were answered boyos! We're gonna get the UK spec Rubicon Unlimited. Now we just have to hope we get decent engine options.

This launch is taking so much longer than it should be!
suneel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 17:46   #9
BHPian

2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Will Be Called "MOAB" In India - To Be Launched By The Third Quarter of 2019

Scoop! Jeep Wrangler Rubicon spotted in India-jeepwranglermoab2020overdrive3.jpg

Scoop! Jeep Wrangler Rubicon spotted in India-jeepwranglermoab2020overdrive2.jpg

"Jeep will bring the 2020 Wrangler by the third quarter of 2019 (mostly by the last week of August). However, this time, the Wrangler Rubicon, which is top-of-the-line off-road oriented variant, will be dubbed 'Moab' in India. The new Jeep Wrangler is available with a new 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol turbo-charged unit and the 3.6-litre V6. The all-new 2.0-litre turbocharged engine makes 274PS and 400Nm of torque with a mild hybrid and is mated to a new eight-speed automatic transmission. However, the engine that could interest the Indian market is a 2.2-litre diesel engine that produces 200PS and 488Nm of torque. The pricing of the new generation Jeep Wrangler is expected to be around Rs 65 lakh ex-showroom."

OverDrive

Last edited by jailbird_fynix : 12th July 2019 at 17:48.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 18:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
................. The pricing of the new generation Jeep Wrangler is expected to be around Rs 65 lakh ex-showroom."

OverDrive
Looks like the Jeep dreams will be limited to the Thar! In the new Jeep imitating avatar.
That kind of pricing for a Jeep does not make sense in general. A few more big ones and one can have the best of luxury SUVs from the german section which are backed by good service backup and are more comfortable and luxurious.
Moreover I'd never bash my 65L+ SUV on a flowing river bed. Though I'd love to do the same on a Thar and come back with something broken and build it stronger and go further on that same riverbed! Haha!
navpreet318 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 20:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Looks like the Jeep dreams will be limited to the Thar! In the new Jeep imitating avatar.
That kind of pricing for a Jeep does not make sense in general. A few more big ones and one can have the best of luxury SUVs from the german section which are backed by good service backup and are more comfortable and luxurious.
Moreover I'd never bash my 65L+ SUV on a flowing river bed. Though I'd love to do the same on a Thar and come back with something broken and build it stronger and go further on that same riverbed! Haha!
The current gen Wrangler is priced at around 65L as well. Did anyone really expect the new one to be cheaper?

Anyway the Wrangler is priced similarly to a lot of luxury SUVs in other countries as well. At $45,000 in the US you can buy a GLC, X3, Q5, F Pace etc. Jeep competes with these SUVs at that price point with the Wrangler quite successfully because it fits a niche that these other SUVs do not. To assume that all buyers at this price point are only interested in comfort and luxury doesn't make much sense.

People are willing to spend a lot of money on what they enjoy/care about. Some people will happily spend money on a small, hard suspension sports car, others would rather spend that money on a huge, luxurious SUV, others would spend it on the best offroad capabilities they can afford. It all depends on the need of the buyer.

I for one would rather have a Wrangler on Indian streets than another cookie cutter German SUV. Especially considering the condition of roads both in cities and in the backcountry. And maybe the Wrangler fits certain lifestyles better than the luxury SUVs do.
suneel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 21:03   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneel View Post
The current gen Wrangler is priced at around 65L as well. Did anyone really expect the new one to be.
I agree with what you say about Wrangler. It’s not a Compass that they are looking to sell in thousands but from past few posts, I had this feeling that they may launch at lower rates given the lower rate of duties on the smaller engine especially in the 2 Door variant but from this article it appears, they will launch only in Unlimited. And if the recent Trailhawk pricing is to be considered then Jeep is definitely not going to price it any cheaper.

It does appear that you are eagerly awaiting for the launch. Do update here whenever you hear more in particular if they decide on the 2 door variant.

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th July 2019 at 21:12.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 21:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I agree about what you say about Wrangler. It’s not a Compass that they are looking to sell in thousands here but from past few posts, I had this feeling that they may launch at lower rates given the lower rate of duties on the smaller engine especially in the 2 Door variant but from this article it appears, they will launch only in Unlimited. And if the recent Trailhawk pricing is to be considered then Jeep is definitely not going to price it any cheaper.

It does appear that you are eagerly awaiting for the launch. Do update here whenever you hear more in particular if they decide on the 2 door variant.
We've seen countless leaks of them testing a 2 door Rubicon in Pune. I am pretty confident they'll launch the 2 door as well. And it's bound to be cheaper. Hopefully the smaller engine will keep the price lower, but it won't help by much I think.

Yeah I've been waiting to buy one since the new model was announced over a year ago! The hype is real!
Old 16th July 2019, 06:06   #14
Team-BHP Support

Checked Rubicon here in Canada today, it rides almost similar to the earlier one though it feels faster due to the new 8-speed Gearbox.

Rubicon gets these additional buttons, for the guys who will take this to its natural habitat
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Jeep Wrangler Rubicon spotted in India-whatsapp-image-20190716-6.01.13-am.jpeg  

Scoop! Jeep Wrangler Rubicon spotted in India-whatsapp-image-20190716-6.01.14-am-2.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 16th July 2019 at 06:08.
Old 16th July 2019, 23:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Checked Rubicon here in Canada today, it rides almost similar to the earlier one though it feels faster due to the new 8-speed Gearbox.

Rubicon gets these additional buttons, for the guys who will take this to its natural habitat
Dude I just test drove a Sahara yesterday in Virginia! You're right, it does feel a lot quicker than the JK! And I was shocked at how refined the ride was. It was much quieter and smoother than I expected. The brakes felt great, the suspension was lovely and the handling was decent. I was a little disappointed with the trunk space and rear seat legroom though.

I wonder how to Rubicon compares on road. I hear that the suspension is firmer and the tires make it bumpier and noisier. I know you didn't compare them but did you feel like either of those were true on your test drive?
suneel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed