Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2014, 09:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata exploring a tie-up with Chery Automobile, China

Tata Motors and Chinese carmaker Chery Automobile are holding talks to explore possible tie-ups, which may include sharing of vehicle platforms, getting access to the market in China for Tata Motors and even helping Chery to enter India.
Read complete article on ET

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/31497068.cms
tj123 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 20:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata exploring a tie-up with Chery Automobile, China

I'm confused by the article.
At one place its mentioned that Tata is looking forward to buy a worn out platform from Chery to speedup its new 'small' car project to take up Maruti and its also mentioned that Tata has already started working on a new platform named 'X4'.

Looks like nothing concrete yet.
Old 7th March 2014, 07:02   #3
BHPian

A friend of mine spotted this Chery at the Tardeo RTO (MH-01) in Mumbai last month. It was LHD and had an MH 46 TRW registration.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata exploring a tie-up with Chery Automobile, China-1394155952448.jpg  

Rosso Corsa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 08:26   #4
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
getting access to the market in China for Tata Motors and even helping Chery to enter India.
The top 9 brands and their sales[ Passenger car] in the year 2013 in CHINA:

Name:  c1.png
Views: 3787
Size:  10.7 KB

and this !

Name:  c2.png
Views: 3711
Size:  31.2 KB
Sales data and full list here: LINK

The above list shows the nature of market, China has. I just don’t think Tata Motors will have any business there considering the line up they have right now.

But certainly the other way around with Chery cars entering India could work in their favour. They do seem to have a decent line up, all well priced in China, fitting most of the hot segments in our country.

Last edited by M35 : 7th March 2014 at 08:34.
M35 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 14:46   #5
M35
BHPian

Old models & platforms ?

Tata exploring a tie-up with Chery Automobile, China-tata.png
link:autonewschina
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 17:07   #6
BHPian

More information
http://articles.economictimes.indiat...rover-platform
Old 8th March 2014, 17:14   #7
BHPian

Tata does need a tie up in China, but for technological collaboration, they are better off looking further east to South Korea or Japan. I think a Tata - Mazda collaboration would make the most sense - Tata can do with the interesting technology that Mazda has and Mazda can do with a bit of Tata investment. A Win - Win for both sides. Also helps that Mazda is already collaborating with Tata's other partner - Fiat (Alfa Romeo).
prashanthyr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 12:56   #8
M35
BHPian

Chery plans India ride with SUV

Chery plans India ride with SUV !

Quote:
In a move that suggests Chery, a Chinese auto manufacturer, is planning to enter the Indian market this year, it has shipped a Tiggo5 SUV to India to assist Tata Motors, an Indian automobile company, test the product, according to 21st Century Business Herald on Wednesday.

Chery, which has designed the Tiggo5 SUV from scratch and without infringing intellectual property rights, will export more brands to India if Tiggo5 is able to successfully crack the market and establish brand awareness. Tata Motors expects the SUV to make inroads into the Indian market.
Tata exploring a tie-up with Chery Automobile, China-cherytiggo5009.jpg

source and read more here
Picture source : LINK
M35 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 13:17   #9
BHPian

The hatchback is a wierdo!!
After finally getting rid of Christmas tree tail-light design, I hope TATA does not bring back this one in any form!!!
Old 15th April 2014, 13:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

It does look it was designed from scratch. The design is yuck!
Old 15th April 2014, 14:21   #11
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
After finally getting rid of Christmas tree tail-light design, I hope TATA does not bring back this one in any form!!!
Neither the first generation Chery Tiggo[2006], nor the facelift [2011] ever had any sort of Christmas tree tail-light design in the first place. It looks good in flesh and I don’t see any reason why shouldn’t this click in the “SUV” obsessed nation like India, if launched and priced sensibly.
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 14:58   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
The top 9 brands and their sales[ Passenger car] in the year 2013 in CHINA:

Attachment 1216285

and this !

Attachment 1216286
Sales data and full list here: LINK

The above list shows the nature of market, China has. I just don’t think Tata Motors will have any business there considering the line up they have right now.

But certainly the other way around with Chery cars entering India could work in their favour. They do seem to have a decent line up, all well priced in China, fitting most of the hot segments in our country.
I am unable to see Bentley or Rolls Royce any where in the list. I know that China is the biggest market for Bentley globally and hence quite surprised to see them not featuring in the list. Are the numbers clubbed together with VW numbers?
Old 15th April 2014, 16:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
It does look it was designed from scratch. The design is yuck!
Come on mate, apart from that being a Chinese Design the SUV does look neat with very good butch looks. Again looks are subjective. If TATA does get them to Indian shores it will be a good sight to watch as to how M&M will respond.

Tata seems to have taken a leaf out of their great predecessor Jamshedji who travelled to Lancashire to procure the old textile setups for using them in India. But Tata Motors doing that now, feel is a step backward if they do not get any contemporary models
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 19:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Indian market already looks down on Chinese products as cheap, low quality, imitation items and people would be reluctant to buy such a car.

A brand like Tata who has spoiled their reputation with half baked products across its range and then screwed up Nano by branding it as the "cheapest car" has already done enough damage to its brand. Getting associated with an older generation Chinese product is only going to speed up their demise. I had some hope in a Tata revival with Bolt and Zest coming up but it looks like they will never be able to shed their "cheap" image.

If Tata plans to improve their image in India, they are probably better off staying away from this venture and focus on some quality products. They should take GM's experience as a learning - GM brought products from its own Chinese JV instead of better models like Sonic and look where they ended up.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 23:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
With larger dimensions than the Ecosport or even the Duster, would you still think this is a hatchback just because it is a Chinese product?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Indian market already looks down on Chinese products as cheap, low quality, imitation items and people would be reluctant to buy such a car.
A decade back, wouldn't everyone say the same about the Koreans? And now with the fluidic design, hasn't Hyundai been able to crack the market and instill that "WOW" factor in their cars? They always sold decent numbers with the i10, Santro, Accent and the older generation Verna, but after they imbibed the fluidic mantra, look how the sales of i20, i10 Grand and the fluidic Verna have taken their products to a new level. Styling has been a key factor (amongst others) underlying Hyundai's new generation products and it is no surprise that they are doing really well.

It is not the Chinese products that we look down upon, it is bland designs of the specific models - Sail, Sail UVA, Enjoy that is to be blamed. Forget the chinese, even the mighty Toyota had to concede defeat after the relative failure of some of their blandly designed cars viz. Liva/Etios. We no longer accept boring products (unless of course it is a Maruti).

What the Indian market wants is a lot of style and desirability. The Chery Tiggo seems to tick the right boxes here, plus it is a SUV. Should do well IMHO in our markets.

Last edited by sachinayak : 15th April 2014 at 23:48.
sachinayak is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks