Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2021, 07:54   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWanderer View Post
I just wish Mahindra take their time and has a perfectly executed rear.
In most global SUVs the 3rd row is pretty much jump seats for kids or temporary rides. In India, Grandpa, Grandma, in-laws, extended family etc, etc, gets kept in the 3rd row.That's why you see most Indian manufacturers give height in the rear to make proper third row seating. This kinda spoils the overall profile of the car.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 16:51   #227
Team-BHP Support

I was checking this thread out and my father was walking by. He is an avid traveler and just loves road trips. He was asking which car is this, I replied, its the upcoming Scorpio.

He said - Get this again, only if the ride is sorted.

Mahindra please, the only two things I ask of you with respect to the 4WD S10 I have been driving over 91,1xx kilometers is a better ride and better / powerful brakes. Rest, whatever you provide is okay, but please, get these two issues sorted. Nothing screams of a satisfied customer than a returning customer.

And please get the pricing right too. ~18L to [max cut off of 19] for AT with 4WD would be a VFM deal.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th May 2021 at 07:10.
Sheel is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 21:56   #228
Senior - BHPian

Hello bhpians.

Here are some latest exclusive scoops on the all new Scorpio-

1. As I had mentioned earlier, Mahindra is ready to put the Scorpio into production within the next couple of months but is waiting to stabilize the Thar as their first priority is to get the Thar's waiting period down to 2 months.

2. Also the Scorpio even if it's more than 7 years old, is still selling in decent numbers so Mahindra is in no hurry to launch the all new generation model and will continue to milk their cash cow for a little longer. Launch of the all new model won't take place this year.

3. According to my sources, Mahindra has made giant strides in the ride and handling department for the new Scorpio and they are confident that dynamics won't be deal breakers anymore.

4. All new Scorpio is expected to get 4 stars at GNCAP and Mahindra is pushing for a 5 star rating.

5. Mahindra is going to price the all new XUV700 at a premium over the competition and they will keep a keen eye on how customers react to the premium pricing to decide on how to price the new Scorpio.

6. Mahindra may continue with the current base variants of the Scorpio like the S3 for the rural markets and the new generation Scorpio may coexist in higher trims for the urban customers.

7. Mahindra has tested the new Scorpio with digital instrument cluster from the XUV but initially it will come with analogue dials. We can expect digital dials on the facelift when it launches.

8. Mahindra has also tested the archaic M2DI engine on the new Scorpio and if they decide to discontinue the current Scorpio, they will launch the base models with this engine for the rural markets.

9. The all new Scorpio will see a huge jump as far as the E&E architecture is concerned and it shares many of its E&E components with the all new XUV700.

10. Mahindra also has made the 4×4 system of the all new Scorpio much more advanced than the older model and expects it to be capable of satiating the needs of hard-core offroad enthusiasts.

That's all for now guys. Will share more info in the future.
ram87pune is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 23:03   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the scoop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
4. All new Scorpio is expected to get 4 stars at GNCAP and Mahindra is pushing for a 5 star rating.
Hope they get 5 stars!!!

Quote:
5. Mahindra is going to price the all new XUV700 at a premium over the competition and they will keep a keen eye on how customers react to the premium pricing to decide on how to price the new Scorpio.
Is it evil to wish bad for a car launch? Pretty skewed method. Anyway the XUV700 will have customers lapping it up even if it is overpriced for the first year atleast. Hope Mahindra doesn't go the XUV300 way and they take a leaf out of the XUV500's initial pricing.

Quote:
6. Mahindra may continue with the current base variants of the Scorpio like the S3 for the rural markets and the new generation Scorpio may coexist in higher trims for the urban customers.
Please, don't.

Quote:
7. Mahindra has tested the new Scorpio with digital instrument cluster from the XUV but initially it will come with analogue dials. We can expect digital dials on the facelift when it launches.
Good. Leave the fancy stuff for the XUV700.

Quote:
8. Mahindra has also tested the archaic M2DI engine on the new Scorpio and if they decide to discontinue the current Scorpio, they will launch the base models with this engine for the rural markets.
Please Mahindra, do this instead of continuing to sell the old gen.

Quote:
10. Mahindra also has made the 4×4 system of the all new Scorpio much more advanced than the older model and expects it to be capable of satiating the needs of hard-core offroad enthusiasts.
Great news. More importantly, make it easy to do aftermarket mods.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 00:02   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Hello bhpians.

3. According to my sources, Mahindra has made giant strides in the ride and handling department for the new Scorpio and they are confident that dynamics won't be deal breakers anymore.

Thanks ram87pune for the amazing scoop as always.

3.4. I think with these fixes Mahindra has addressed the biggest short comings of the present model:- poor ride/handling and poor safety.

8. I hope the M2di engine lives on. It is a great engine. Very reliable with superb low down torque.
Old 14th June 2021, 07:45   #231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Very hard to believe this. Mahindra has been saying this since some time now. The hydroformed chassis on the W105 too did not help matters much. Unless we can experience, I won't buy their often repeated claim.

Quote:
How? 4X4 hardware in itself is robust, does not need much maintenance apart from change of fluids & some elbow grease. Can I see a hint of a differential lock?

The Scorpio [W105] had poor articulation, it raises its front dangerously in an obstacle.

Quote:
That's all for now guys. Will share more info in the future.
Thanks for sharing the inside info Ram, much appreciated . And my insecurities WRT the upcoming Scorpio expressed here are not directed at you [please] but at team Mahindra.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 11:45   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the updates. Very valuable information. If the ride and handling is sorted, I think this will be a good buy.
Quote:
they will launch the base models with this engine for the rural markets.
I sincerely hope they don't do this. Since the current Gen Scorpio is still selling well. They may as well offer the Current Gen Scorpio in lower specs for rural markets. Keep the 2021 Scorpio to fill the void before the 40 lakhs SUVs.
Regarding the extra 4WD capabilities, I suspect it will be the Traction Control based LSD/Lockers they are offering in the Thar and maybe some drive modes like rock/sand, which are all again TC/ECM modulation.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 14th June 2021 at 11:47.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 09:15   #233
BHPian

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio (Codenamed: Z101) caught testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

I sincerely hope they don't do this. Since the current Gen Scorpio is still selling well. They may as well offer the Current Gen Scorpio in lower specs for rural markets. Keep the 2021 Scorpio to fill the void before the 40 lakhs SUVs.

Why should the rural market get the existing Scorpio? We all know about the crash safety record of the existing one and how much dated it is. Every buyer regardless of market should deserve the same type of car with different price options. A stripped down base variant of 2021 Scorpio with potential 4 star NCAP rating with dual airbags and ABS is enough. A nominal hike in price will not hinder prospective buyers in rural market from buying one. I mean the Scorpio badge is strong enough for them and when they sense it is the best one yet, they would just lap it up.

Last edited by karthick_b : 15th June 2021 at 09:17.
karthick_b is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 12:40   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthick_b View Post
Why should the rural market get the existing Scorpio?
My suggestion is only from the point view that there is a huge gap between the premium body on frame SUVs in the 40 lakh budget like the Fortuner/Endy etc and the bare bones body on frame SUVs. So, if Mahindra wants to keep the Scorpio as a premium product, then it doesn't make sense to take the new Scorpio down market. It has nothing to do with rural/urban customers but having a barebones taxi type version of the new Scorpio will reduce it's appeal as a premium product.

Then again, it all depends on where Mahindra wants to position the new Scorpio.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 11:17   #235

Found some spyshots on Autogram’s instagram page
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-654a6dbb50184787a900a8a9437bd0b9.jpeg  

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-bed5f79ae90a4149a904acaae7cd1205.jpeg  

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-5d3d12d34cd646d98f888851282c3a5d.jpeg  

himanshu1058 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 15:21   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu1058 View Post
Found some spyshots on Autogram’s instagram page
Looks like a lower variant (manual aircon controls). Even the lower variants are getting the full-sized touchscreen and automatic gearbox as seen earlier in another prototype with dual-zone climate control.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 14:18   #237
BHPian

Unless the front end is unveiled fully, the headlamps keep reminding me of Brezza. Interiors look good but the steering seems not to be gelling with rest of the stuff.

Looking forward to this one!
Old 21st June 2021, 15:06   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

On pricing, I am not at all surprised that Mahindra is wanting to move up to a higher price segment. There is no real competition for the Scorpio as a 7 seater, 4X4 Body in Frame SUV - The Safari, Hector Plus etc. are soft roaders without 4X4 capabilities. One has to move to the ISUZU MU7/Ford Endeavour/Toyota Fortuner if one wants this capability and these vehicles are all priced over 30 lakhs and closer to 40 lakhs. This leaves the playing field wide open in the 15-25 lakh price band - depending on how far Mahindra can improve the "feel good factor" of the Scorpio, in terms of materials, fit and finish, features and comfort, they may be able to command a good premium to the previous generation. Since it will be based on the Thar platform, the underpinnings are solid and if the level of quality and finesse improvement in Thar from generation to generation is any indication, M&M should be able to create a much more comfortable and capable Scorpio this time around.
84.monsoon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 16:53   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
One has to move to the ISUZU MU7/Ford Endeavour/Toyota Fortuner if one wants this capability and these vehicles are all priced over 30 lakhs and closer to 40 lakhs.
Both Toyota and Ford is priced about 40 lakhs on the Road. Isuzu maybe a lakh or two cheaper.
Given the Fully Loaded Thar is about 16.x lakhs on the road, if Mahindra can work out a 23 to 25 lakhs pricing on the road for a 4WD/AT version, it will be sole product in it's category and I am sure a huge seller too. I hope they do a better job with the ride and handling.

Last edited by Sheel : 21st June 2021 at 17:49. Reason: Minor typo.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 16:56   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
One has to move to the ISUZU MU7/Ford Endeavour/Toyota Fortuner if one wants this capability and these vehicles are all priced over 30 lakhs and closer to 40 lakhs.
I concur. With the retirement of cars like TUV 3OO, Safari Storme, Hexa etc., there are limited options if one wants a family friendly (read spacious 5 seater) robust Body-on-Frame (BoF) S/M-UV with RWD/4x4 capabilities in range up to 25 Lakhs. IIRC, currently only 4 other options come to mind - Bolero, Thar, Marazzo (FWD) and Innova. That's all. The 3 door Thar is a dedicated off-roader cum lifestyle car. Bolero, Marazzo and Innova hardly appeal as modern contemporary SUVs (of course, Marazzo and Innova belong to MPV genre).

If one wants a modern and capacious BoF SUV today (ignoring the current Scorpio), the worthy options are all Rs. 34 Lakhs+ on road!

So, Mahindra has good space in Rs. 15-25 Lakhs to bring in the new generation Scorpio almost undisputed. Heck, they may even sell the 2 generations of Scorpios together with required price and brand differentiation!
museycal is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks