Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2022, 10:41   #1516
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVN View Post
A noob question but is there any particular reason brands have started omitting the spare wheel on the rear door setup? It just makes an SUV look more .. SUV IMO. I would attribute 50% of Thars imposing looks to the fact that it has its spare wheel mounted on the rear door. Same with the Ecosport. I remember 1 version where the spare wheel was removed and the car simply lost its charm. I understand that it may eat in the whole 4m rule but Scorpio-N is not a 4m car.
Agree with spare wheel mounting on the rear door adds lots of SUV character to a vehicle. However, would be difficult in Scorpio-N and XUV setup as for one, the length is already very long and second, the door now comes with Fibre/Plastic material so it wont be able to take the load of a spare wheel.

And spare wheel on the rear door does not count in sub 4m rule.
TSIched'Out is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 10:43   #1517
BHPian

Quote:
I understand that it may eat in the whole 4m rule but Scorpio-N is not a 4m car.
No, it doesn't impact the 4M rule as its only bumper to bumper. There is also additional cost and the attractiveness to the target segment. In the case of Scorpio N, the form factor is already screaming SUV and so an additional design element may not be required IMHO
atluri_rkc is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 10:44   #1518
BHPian

Quote:
A noob question but is there any particular reason brands have started omitting the spare wheel on the rear door setup? It just makes an SUV look more .. SUV IMO. I would attribute 50% of Thars imposing looks to the fact that it has its spare wheel mounted on the rear door. Same with the Ecosport. I remember 1 version where the spare wheel was removed and the car simply lost its charm. I understand that it may eat in the whole 4m rule but Scorpio-N is not a 4m car.
The wheel, especially on a big SUV is heavy. Mounting the wheel on the tailgate means that the structure of the door and the hinges need to be additionally reinforced to prevent it from sagging or creaking (which is common). This adds cost and weight.

Plus, if they are mounting the spare wheel visibly, it has to be a full size wheel (if not alloy) to match what's on the car, else it looks weird. So the manufacturer can not additionally cut costs and weight by giving a space saver.

And most tailgate mounted spare wheels block rear visibility to a certain extent, which could be a safety concern.

There will be other reasons, but these are the ones I have heard of.
lordrayden is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 11:31   #1519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.petro View Post
So excited. If the price is right, I will sell of my Kushaq and purchase top end Petrol Automatic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
Like everyone, i am awaiting the price reveal.
Just happened to be at the dealership on saturday. The dealers are preparing for the Monday launch which would be virtual. This particular dealership is yet to receive any demo or TD car; TD is expected by 05-07-2022.

This car is expected to be rugged and is mainly aiming the rural and semi-urban areas. The 700 would be more comfortable in the urban setup. This car would take on the mighty Fortuner directly with similar capabilities and almost half the cost. We need to wait and see how this car is accepted in the market.

Now coming to the price part, this car will be priced below the 700. From what I could gather the price difference could be in the range of 3L from the current prices of the 700.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 12:00   #1520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Just happened to be at the dealership on saturday. The dealers are preparing for the Monday launch which would be virtual. This particular dealership is yet to receive any demo or TD car; TD is expected by 05-07-2022.
Guess it depends on city and dealer. Bangalore Sireesh auto invited me for the unveil at 5pm. Car is going to be on display.
Old 27th June 2022, 12:10   #1521
BHPian

Quote:
A noob question but is there any particular reason brands have started omitting the spare wheel on the rear door setup? It just makes an SUV look more .. SUV IMO. I would attribute 50% of Thar's imposing looks to the fact that it has its spare wheel mounted on the rear door. Same with the Ecosport. I remember 1 version where the spare wheel was removed and the car simply lost its charm. I understand that it may eat in the whole 4m rule but Scorpio-N is not a 4m car.
Two major reasons:

1. The wheel assembly is heavy (~18 kgs). Ask anyone who has changed a spare tire on the THAR and put it back on the bracket single-handedly. A underbody mounted spare is easier to handle.

2. Door Sagging is another problem. On the Thar, you wouldn't mind an occasional rattle. But on the XUV or the ScorpioN, you would. For reference, Safari Dicor was one of the cars that had it for a long time.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th June 2022 at 17:37. Reason: Typo
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 12:58   #1522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
The video just confirms my perception about Pratap Bose. He seems to be that type of slimy character who has no qualms for usurping credit for work done by others. It takes a completely different level of shamelessness to be at the forefront talking about design of a vehicle which you haven't contributed to.
+1
Feel bad for the "actual" people behind developing XUV700 and new ScorpioN. Even during his tenure with TML, I felt that most of the 'design' work is done by others, which was evident in one of their concept presentation (I think it was new Sierra).
Latheesh is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 13:01   #1523
BHPian

My SA just messaged saying prices and TD vehicle will be available only in the first week of July
Old 27th June 2022, 13:02   #1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird_7 View Post
I too recieved call from SA saying screening is being planned tomorrow at 5. Post which all the details regarding features, prices and booking will be available. On being asked whether physical car will be available to see, answer was not sure, will get to know tomorrow only. My hunch is car should be physically present, and hence they are asking to be present at showroom for 'virtual screening'.
Dealer in Panvel confirmed that car will be available on display though it won’t be available for a TD
Old 27th June 2022, 13:06   #1525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
The wheel, especially on a big SUV is heavy
Correct! This leads to multiple issues:

a) Eventual creaking/rattling from rear door despite reinforcement measures, as the shear stress is too much to handle over a long period of time. This problem is compounded if the SUV is regularly driven on bad roads.

b) For all its macho looks, removing and refitting a tailgate-mounted spare wheel is a Herculean task for a person with average build, especially if one is required to do it single-handedly in a remote area or worse still, in high-altitude locales.

In addition to these, there are other issues as well - compromise on rear visibility, extra protrusion needing more careful reversing maneuvers, etc.

Quote:
The video just confirms my perception about Pratap Bose. He seems to be that type of slimy character who has no qualms for usurping credit for work done by others.
Sorry to say but not only is this personal attack on Mr. Bose, without any concrete facts, is uncalled for but also in complete digression to the subject of this thread. My humble request is to refrain from such caustic remarks about any individual on a respectable public forum like ours

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
Guess it depends on city and dealer. Bangalore Sireesh auto invited me for the unveil at 5pm. Car is going to be on display.
Same here - got an invite from PPS Mahindra. Scorpio-N will be on display at their Hebbal showroom today evening.

Last edited by cool_dube : 27th June 2022 at 13:12.
cool_dube is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 13:22   #1526
BHPian

Good for Tata to save on paying this person. They can move to some mature designs. The white strips on Nexon window sills, un-wanted protrusions on other cars looked to me like child's scribble on a could be good drawing.

I think Scorpio could have moved towards really being a big daddy by extending the body (or even wheelbase) 6 inches and giving it a panoramic roof
PreludeSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 13:48   #1527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A noob question but is there any particular reason brands have started omitting the spare wheel on the rear door setup?
Adding to the other good reasons already given:

- Adding weight towards the rear extreme would have an impact on the driving dynamics of the vehicle. The further away this addition of weight, the more the impact. I suspect the rear of the XUV700 is made of fibre for this reason.

- Mounting it higher too is worse for the centre of gravity. Affects stability. The difference might not be huge, but even few mm shift of CoG is not considered insignificant at the design stage.

I believe the difference in handling felt at turns between the Harrier and Safari, is significantly due to differing weight distribution.
Poitive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 13:52   #1528
BHPian

Received a call from my Sales guy in Thane dealership telling me that unveiling is at 5:30 PM after which car will be on display. today dealership is operating till 1000 PM, he will be waiting. Seems Mahindra Sales guys are quite aggressive in sales this time.
Old 27th June 2022, 13:55   #1529
Senior - BHPian

New Mahindra Scorpio-N heading to South Africa soon.

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-smartselect_20220627135411_facebook.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-fb_img_1656318231405.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 14:08   #1530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The video just confirms my perception about Pratap Bose. He seems to be that type of slimy character who has no qualms for usurping credit for work done by others. It takes a completely different level of shamelessness to be at the forefront talking about design of a vehicle which you haven't contributed to.
I`m not a fan of the fellow however there is one thing I noticed.

Youtube views in the last 17 or so hours is significant, as soon as the 'Big daddy' campaign is launched last month, the viewership has gone through the roof.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks