Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2022, 22:32   #1636
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Wow, most of us are blown away with look and pricing. Eagerly waiting for team-bhp review, particularly on handling and ride quality. Finger crossed for ride quality for an RWD ladder on frame SUV from Mahindra. It will be a dream car only if it provides reasonable ride & handling, something similar to Hexa. As it will be my daily commuter, typical SUVish ride will be a big compromise. I know I'm expecting too much.
Old 27th June 2022, 22:32   #1637
BHPian

Now that the prices are out mostly along expected lines, the rather fantastic claims of this being " priced above the XUV 700, tech making the XUV 700 look vanilla, starting variants priced around 23-24 ex showroom, being a modified Alturas G4" etc stand officially debunked. Such privileged claims amount to sensation mongering I believe & I'm not sure if there should be a place on Tbhp for this. I wonder if there's some deterrent to prevent such "insider information" being posted.
Back to the vehicle, I like the way they've provided option of R17 steel wheels upto the Z8; I'd rather pay M&M for the stuff that I can't put on after market and choose alloy wheels later on maybe as a midlife refresh.
Vtach is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 22:50   #1638
Senior - BHPian

Z8 seems to be best variant, has 4WD, AT and most of the necessary kit. I wish the Z8 diesel 4WD AT end up being just around the 25 lakh mark on road in Bangalore! Would make a great proposition!
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 22:56   #1639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000bhp View Post
I remember seeing Camera's on side mirrors on the test mule's and there were discussions around Scorpio N having 360 Camera. Looks like they skipped it or will release a more premium version sometime later.
Also noticed the 3rd row does not have split seats. With such limited boot space, Mahindra should have given split seats in the last row
Old 27th June 2022, 23:09   #1640
BHPian

Really disappointed both with the design language and the pricing. To me Scorpio N looks dead on arrival. The feature distribution is also weird. Not to miss that the prices announced today are just introductory prices. Don't be surprised to see Mahindra increasing the prices significantly after the first 25000 bookings are done and dusted. Also the Z2 variant might just be on paper. Don't be taken aback when it is discontinued within the first couple of months.
kushagra452 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 23:11   #1641
SDK
BHPian

Along with the missing Auto IRVM, I don't see any mention of auto hold feature even for the Z8 automatic. Is that really not there ? This is a really convenient feature on city roads and it should not have been excluded
SDK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 23:12   #1642
BHPian

Top end manual priced at 20lakhs ex showroom and that too introductory. In Maharashtra and Karnataka this would cross 25lakhs OTR.
4WD Auto price will be dangerously close to 30 lakhs. Why not go for the compass at that price. The last row looks completely unusable and the boot seems very small too due to the stepped seat folding.
I am not sure what market segment Mahindra is targetting with this car. They already have THAR and XUV700 to cater to urban weekend warriors and regular scorpio for the Rural folks.
BlackMambaXX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 23:13   #1643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
So this looks like the absolute right mix of power, toughness, substance, go anywhere ruggedness, overall capability and capacity and size plus comfort and last but not least, ‘presence’ and pricing as well!

Looking at the pricing, it really looks that Mahindra have taken the offensive and are literally taking the fight to Toyota’s door.!
Ditto . My thoughts. Add Jeep Compass and Meridian to the list. Why spend upwards of 30 lacs and still not get proper 4*4.

Way to Go Mahindra
MADMAX111 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 23:14   #1644
BHPian

A well balanced release. There is a very large market that needs BoF, AT, Diesel and 6 - 7 seater at price point that is not 50L. 70% premium features at 50% the cost. Manageable maintenance at 5+ years of ownership. Refreshed looks with some electronics, headlamps and all the usual 2022 market features.

This has landed well in that segment. Surely the top-end of the scorpio is kept close to the entry levels on XUV700. This is to discourage people buying in the AX5 variants, as M&M wants to make less of these cars. The margins are very low in those variants. They need the marque positioning of the XUV, but don't want to sell many in the initial variants. Until the new Scoprio arrived, they needed to cover that price band.

TATA does not want to compete here, their investments are going into electrification. They want to be ahead of the curve and be leaders there rather than competing for number of check boxes with 4X4, BoF etc. These are the stats of yesterday. M&M does not have a lead in the electric world as much as TATA, so I don't expect TATA to put any hat into the ring here.
Look at the investments from TATA Solar, TATA Power and TATA motors and the picture will be a lot more clearer. But, M&M wants to play the today's game. For the next 5 years until oil burners will still make sense both from BSVI+ specification and oil prices being still reasonable there is still a lot to milk from the current market. Hence a refreshed model, at a price where it will put a lot of these on the roads. Now, how many they can deliver is anybody's guess.

M&M has does not seem to have got their supply chain fully figured out on chips, so I don't think they will have any delivered less than 4 - 6 months.
The thing to test will be the ride quality. The roominess seems to have been sorted. No clear competitor in sight.

Last edited by Eddy : 27th June 2022 at 23:30. Reason: Spacing for better readability
man_and_machine is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 23:28   #1645
Senior - BHPian

Is the Z4 variant available in 4WD AT Diesel? I think this would be a good combo to be had, considering that the the delivery, would be later post October once the 6 airbag rules kick in. I am curious on how it would affect the pricing, would M&M provide price protection?
Old 27th June 2022, 23:29   #1646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Along with the missing Auto IRVM, I don't see any mention of auto hold feature even for the Z8 automatic. Is that really not there ? This is a really convenient feature on city roads and it should not have been excluded
Scorpio N will come with manual break only, no auto break. Auto hold function doesn't work with manual hand break AFAIK. Yes, it is a disappointing ommision. They should have provided auto break at top variants at those price point.
Old 27th June 2022, 23:33   #1647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
Really disappointed both with the design language and the pricing. To me Scorpio N looks dead on arrival. The feature distribution is also weird. Not to miss that the prices announced today are just introductory prices. Don't be surprised to see Mahindra increasing the prices significantly after the first 25000 bookings are done and dusted. Also the Z2 variant might just be on paper. Don't be taken aback when it is discontinued within the first couple of months.
Just like in XUV, the feature distribution here is aimed to push buyers towards the top end. For eg: No z6 in petrol. z2 & z4 (manual) don't get ESC, hill hold and descent control.

But the "introductory pricing", hype and FOMO will ensure well over 25,000 bookings on day 1.
Old 27th June 2022, 23:38   #1648
BHPian

Exactly my thoughts. Top end diesel automatic will cost in road at 26 to 27L. One would rather buy XUV700. At this pricing it'll be tough to fight the Safari imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
Old 27th June 2022, 23:42   #1649
Distinguished - BHPian

Nobody has posted this earlier so here it is - a look at the front and rear suspensions from the official presentation, courtesy Autocar @ Twitter:-

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-suspension-scorpio.jpg

And a look at how the Frequency Dependent Dampings - FDDs (just another fancy name for the FSDs) with MTV-CL tech in the shock absorbers work, courtesy Sirish Chandran @ Twitter:-

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-1.jpg
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-2.jpg

This is a first for the Mahindra Scorpio in any generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunjain View Post
1. Manual and Automatic transmission get different wheels sizes! R17 for MT and R18 for AT. Has anyone ever seen this on any other car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushgandhi View Post
Z8L has different sizes for alloys for manual and ATs.
I did mention this in my exclusive scoop on Page 75:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
- AT with 18-inch dual tone alloy wheels, MT with 17-inch dual tone alloy wheels.

Seems like the 3rd row 50:50 split was a last-minute deletion from the official features list. I am told it was present in all the boot camp cars.

Quite a few other goodies missing, which indicates a future Z10 variant in the cards, once the supply chain issues and the semiconductor crises level out. I expect the Z2 to be discontinued and the Z10 added to the lineup in a year's time.

Also, rounding off the lineup at 22.49 lakhs ex-showroom for the topmost Z8L 4WD AT 4Xplore variant is very likely now. That is in line with the pricing range scoop I posted earlier.

Also, the Scorpio-N will be built at Mahindra's Chakan plant, while the now-continuing Scorpio Classic will continue to be built at their Nashik plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Is the Z4 variant available in 4WD AT Diesel?
Available only in the Z8 & the Z8L 7-seaters.

This is the seating arrangement across variants, for now:-

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-untitled.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 28th June 2022 at 00:09. Reason: added.
RavenAvi is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 23:52   #1650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshsharmab View Post
Exactly my thoughts. Top end diesel automatic will cost in road at 26 to 27L. One would rather buy XUV700. At this pricing it'll be tough to fight the Safari imho
Competition with Safari will depend more on ride & handling quality of Scorpio N, rather than 2-3 lakhs difference I believe. If Scorpio ride quality is plush enough to be somewhere near safari or hexa, I would anyday prefer an RWD BnF 4x4 vehicle as much more capable one than a FWD SUV. My opinion though.
Arinmech is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks