Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2022, 10:04   #1681
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Pratap Bose could have done something different with the face of the daddy *ahem* Scorpio N. To me it just looks like someone modified their Brezza from Carole baag market The pricing is good, the real threat is to Tata duos, not the Fortuner. Curious to see what Tata has planned as a counter to this. Win win situation for us - desi car enthusiasts !
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 10:10   #1682
BHPian

I honestly wonder if Mahindra is selling these cars at a loss. How on earth can they offer so much for so little? Every variant seems like a steal compared to any other car in this price bracket save it's own cousin. Either they are selling for a loss or marginal profits or other manufacturers are selling for huge profit margins. Glad to see this from an Indian company. Just can't ask for more.
DonHyd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 10:31   #1683
Senior - BHPian

The Mahindra Scorpio was first launched in India in June 2002. And now after exactly 20 years, we have witnessed the launch of it's successor.

Scorpio has a cult status in India and it was deserved a worthy sucessor and as an amid Scorpio lover and having owned two Scorpios in the past, I am very happy to see the Scorpio N. Mahindra has really evolved as a car manufacturer in the last 5 years.

I believe, the Scorpio N will rock all sales charts. It will continue to Scorpio legacy and will be another sucess story for Mahindra.

The Scorpio N looks butch, mean and classy. As someone else rightly said, it cannot be mistaken for anything else, but a Scorpio. I am sure Mahindra has aced the engine and transmission as they are already way ahead of their competitors in this department.

The biggest chink in the old Scorpio's armor was space and ride. I can see that Mahindra has sorted the space issue. Now, I am eagerly waiting for the reviews to come out and I hope the Scorpio N has a plush ride with BOF SUV standards.

Also, the crash test ratings is yet to be seen, but I am sure of good results.

Good job Mahindra. Really proud of such achievements from an Indian manufacturer.
raj_5004 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 10:34   #1684
BHPian

Wow! Kudos to Mahindra for bringing out another blockbuster in Scorpio-N. Waiting eagerly to book the Diesel Z8 AT AWD as it checks almost all the boxes for my next car.

Excitement in the house is at the next level with even my kids spending almost 3 hours at the dealership with the car.

Slightly dissapointed with some omissions such as:

1. Lack of split 3rd row seats
2. No cup holders and charging points for 3rd row seats
3. Lack of adjustable headrest for middle passenger in 2d row

Waiting for TDs soon. It brings a BIG smile on my face weeny little one was offered to check out the car in the dedicated bay by the Sahyadri Motors, Baner staff even before anyone was let in (his passion for cars has made some fans for him there).
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-7cd75fd5054044158689db16bd369d79.jpg  

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-img_39212.jpg  

Jaisalmeriya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 10:40   #1685
Senior - BHPian

Pratap Bose : This is not a hatchback which is made to look like an SUV.

- Alloy wheels are designed to take 17,18 and 19-inches.

- Scorpion Sting and Taillights inspiration

Interview with Pratap Bose from 12:56 time stamp

Ready for some adventure

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-20220628_100950.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-20220628_110045.jpg

In flesh - Link

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-fb_img_1656394623461.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-fb_img_1656394626496.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-fb_img_1656394630143.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-fb_img_1656394632452.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-fb_img_1656394634723.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-fb_img_1656394637173.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-fb_img_1656394639402.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 28th June 2022 at 11:09.
Venkatesh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 10:41   #1686
BHPian

If they had to refresh xuv500 interior it would have looked the same as what scorpio n is looking. Does anyone feel like that ?
FourBanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 10:43   #1687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post
I honestly wonder if Mahindra is selling these cars at a loss. How on earth can they offer so much for so little? Every variant seems like a steal compared to any other car in this price bracket save it's own cousin. Either they are selling for a loss or marginal profits or other manufacturers are selling for huge profit margins.
The launch price is only for the first 25K bookings, after that it will go up. Post that, I'm sure there will be more price hikes looking at the history of the XUV700. So what they are doing (and have done well in the past) is to build the PERCEPTION of extreme value for money at launch. Once that is done, a majority of people tend keep that perception in spite of some price hikes.

Quote:
Either they are selling for a loss or marginal profits or other manufacturers are selling for huge profit margins.
I feel they reduce their margins so that they can play the volumes game and take advantage of the economies of scale. Plus they would have cut costs in things that don't land up on the spec sheet or feature list like fit and finish, long term reliability (vs say Toyota), etc.

Quote:
Glad to see this from an Indian company. Just can't ask for more.
Absolutely, I cant agree more.

Mahindra have done an absolute brilliant job of the Scorpio-N. I feel this is their best looking car EVER, with the Thar a close second. And if they have solved the Achilles heel of the old Scorpio, the ride and handling, they have an undisputed winner on their hands.

Last edited by lordrayden : 28th June 2022 at 10:44.
lordrayden is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 10:49   #1688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
From Mahindra plant in Chakan near Pune. It’s a sea of Scorpio-Ns as media get to spend the day with the latest SUV in town - Link
May be a silly question breaking the momentum of thread. But where do these cars end up after the media drive?
Old 28th June 2022, 10:52   #1689

Great Looking Car and Excellent pricing i must say.

However 2 things that caught my eye, probably too much at a noob level :

1. Dont the tail lamps bear a striking resemblance to the Volvo XC Series ones.
2. The ICE is has a black lining, which kind of eats into touch screen size. Is it still 20.32 cms ?

Cheers!!
Old 28th June 2022, 10:55   #1690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshk4 View Post
Why people are going to buy Thar now? Both are around same price point, where scorpio offers more practicality, more features, more tech, more everything. Whats going to be their strategy for Thar?
+1
I sold my That 2021 some time back because of practicality issue and in anticipation of new Scorpio
Old 28th June 2022, 10:55   #1691
BHPian

Scorpio had a cult following, and Safari had an even bigger loyal cult following.

When your car defines your brand, dear Tata, you should take a reference from Mahindra or even Royal Enfield on how to encash on it.

The Safari could have been something even bigger and greater, and not just a Harrier pro Max. Not that I have any issues with it, but it definitely deserved a separate identity. The right product+marketing combo, for which brand loyalists would line up and lap up bookings in one go!! That's how RE outdid themselves, and encashed on loyalists, and just have a look at ScorpioN. The ScorpioN is totally different vehicle than the erstwhile scorpio, and so is the new Safari than the tcic or the dicor. Safari will face biggest heat after this launch till Mahindra sorts out their chip shortage.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 11:04   #1692
BHPian

I purchased my beloved POLO GT TSI in 2016.
The car was moderately equipped back then. No Android auto, no camera, no rear ac vent, only 2 airbags, no armrest. However, it had an important feature called - auto dimming IRVM.

I don't understand who has decided to make this a luxury feature. Every other car today either gives it a complete miss or provides exclusively in top-end variant.

I hope some auto journalist/ channel takes this up with Mahindra. Regarding other manufacturers, I am not sure they even listen to any feedback.
Indepth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 11:07   #1693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Can someone post the colour pallet of the Scorpio N please?
Here you go (source: official brochure)
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-sn1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
Is it just me or based on the pictures it seems like the Scorpio's interior is actually better than the Fortuner!
Well, a contemporary car needn't try too hard to beat Fortuner's interiors On a serious note, it definitely appears to be the case with Scoprio-N, at least going by the pictures and videos so far. That said, the "touch & feel" aspect can be only assessed in the flesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
the fact that the Scorpio is comparable at half the prices is really something!
Could not agree more. As someone already said, the Scorpio-N gives you 75% (maybe more?) of the Fortuner at 50% of the price! Laudable attempt from an Indian manufacturer - a proud moment for all Indians If only they could minimize niggles in initial batches, and provide the peace of mind that the "T" badge offers in terms of reliability, after-sales service and long-term fuss-free ownership, I would not be surprised if it does manage to dent Fortuner's sales to an extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird_7 View Post
Third row full tumble eats up lot of usable space
Agreed. I can already see serious tourers chucking away that last row permanently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
Ground clearance if at 187 mm seems low for a 4X4
Agreed. Should have been at least 200 mm. Looks like the claimed improvements to handling and ride quality have come at the cost of ground clearance to an extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautham_v6 View Post
Is petrol exclusive only for Z2 variant?
No, one can get Diesel 2WD MT in Z2 as well. That said, don't be surprised if Z2 is taken off the list very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautham_v6 View Post
Manual 4WD differential locking could have been provided as an option from Z4/Z6 variants atleast
There is no "manual" locking differential in any variant of the Scoprio-N. What you are probably referring to is the "mechanical" locking (rear) differential, which is available in the Thar as well.

Last edited by cool_dube : 28th June 2022 at 11:22.
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 11:09   #1694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshk4 View Post
Why people are going to buy Thar now? Both are around same price point, where scorpio offers more practicality, more features, more tech, more everything. Whats going to be their strategy for Thar?
This is the reason you are suddenly seeing a flurry of ads promoting the Thar Petrol. And the fact that the scorpio petrol is not being launched with 4x4. They will position the Thar as the go anywhere option. Also, these scorpio-n prices will head north by 10 percent in the next 6-12 months.
Old 28th June 2022, 11:10   #1695
BHPian

Great car based on the features and price. The only major missing part I feel is the lack of slide and recline adjustment for the 2nd row seats. Not sure if recline option is present in the captain seat variant but it is absent in the bench seat variant. And I think, it is the same issue with XUV 700. The sliding and recline option on the middle row gives more flexibility and on a need basis, provide more leg room to the 3rd row passengers. Not sure why Mahindra misses on this basic aspect which I believe a must for any vehicle with 3 row seating.
sreejithkk is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed