Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2022, 18:28   #1756
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

I think even this time around, it looks unlikely that M & M would provide their dealers with some sort of a timing advantage over customers directly booking the vehicle on the internet. Keeping the dealer network happy is obviously very important to the company. Although the dealer commissions may not change when product is booked online (since ultimately the bookings do get assigned to dealers for fulfilment), the confidence of customers in the dealerships would be eroded if the dealers have problems booking the vehicles timely, like what happened the last time with the XUV700.

With the XUV700 launch, on Day 1, several dealers could not key in orders in a timely basis. Several customers who booked directly online were able to get earlier delivery dates than those customers who booked through their dealerships. It is quite simple that if the booking window opens at a certain point in time, a retail customer has to only punch in his or her own order, whereas a dealer has to punch in a series of orders from each terminal even if they had multiple computers at work. So just from a "speed of fingers on keyboard" perspective, an individual retail customer is likely to get ahead of many who are in the list of orders that the dealer has to punch in sequentially.

For the above reason, I am not sure that bookings through the dealership is necessarily going to get you ahead in that line, compared to just adding to cart on July 5th and booking on the website as soon as the window opens. With the XUV 700, I was able to key in my order on day one on-line at the website, within the first 30 minutes. I was able to get the unlock allocation of the vehicle earlier than promised and earlier than others I know who booked the same variant via the dealership. It is another matter that we could not take delivery of the vehicle my relative, for whom I was booking it, was not ready at that point as the vehicle arrived much earlier than promised.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 28th June 2022 at 18:42.
84.monsoon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 18:30   #1757
Distinguished - BHPian

Road presence of the Scorpio N vs Endeavour and Fortuner:

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-5326a3c2a2e84c62b95c961a76c0806f.jpeg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-9df63b338a3d498a8fb9442b7f17c2a4.jpeg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-cc860a6522cb4bfc868168f200bf91ca.jpeg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-055cf2768db545c88c66e063d3d3acc1.jpeg

Source: Motorbeam
CEF_Beasts is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 18:31   #1758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMaw View Post
We have wait till official review is out. Any idea when Automatics prices will be revealed and any information on whether automatics can be booked on July 5th?
Prices of automatic and 4W models would be announced on 21 July.
Old 28th June 2022, 18:38   #1759
BHPian

It is another great product from Mahindra. Kudos to the entire team. I love this vehicle as its inherit Scorpio DNA with latest features, improved space management and comes with attractive pricing. Really tempting to buy one and get behind the wheel but will wait for Team BHP review.

I have always thought one thing when comes to Scorpio, why this vehicle is not offered with 5 seater variant with substantial boot space? Because I do not think that there is anyone would drive it with 7 people onboarded while using it for off-road experience. These kind of persons would go out to the woods or landscape where they get adventures experiences which means they need more space to store belongings.
K7@TN14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 18:39   #1760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
It is another matter that we could not take delivery of the vehicle my relative, for whom I was booking it, was not ready at that point as the vehicle arrived much earlier than promised.
Just wondering, what would have happened had your relative insisted on delaying the delivery. Would you be still in the queue or get kicked out and forced to book again from scratch?
I plan to book the Scorpio and hopefully take the delivery by late October or early November.
I am not in India now, and if the vehicle is allocated before October, I would be forced to delay (if possible) or cancel it.
Old 28th June 2022, 18:41   #1761
BHPian

Quote:

For the above reason, I am not sure that bookings through the dealership is necessarily going to get you ahead in that line, compared to just adding to cart on July 5th and booking on the website as soon as the window opens. With the XUV 700, I was able to key in my order on day one on-line at the website, within the first 30 minutes. I was able to get the unlock allocation of the vehicle earlier than promised and earlier than others I know who booked the same variant via the dealership. It is another matter that we could not take delivery of the vehicle my relative, for whom I was booking it, was not ready at that point as the vehicle arrived much earlier than promised.
I could not understand what is the advantage of adding to cart on 5th July vs adding on 25th July. When ultimately the queue is going to be determined by the order placement from 31st July onwards. Or I understood it all wrong.
Old 28th June 2022, 18:51   #1762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
I could not understand what is the advantage of adding to cart on 5th July vs adding on 25th July. When ultimately the queue is going to be determined by the order placement from 31st July onwards. Or I understood it all wrong.
I believe "adding to cart" is a time consuming process. You will need to enter personal details as well as select the vehicle variant, accessories (if any), etc. Making the customers do this at the time bookings open will result in a lot higher load on the servers as well as more customer complaints and mistakes. Enabling add-to-cart sooner can help the customers do all the prep work in peace without having to panic.

Having said that, I am not why such a long window of 25 days is required. Looking at the dates:
- 5th July, add-to-cart opens
- 21st July, pricing for automatic and 4wd variants to be announced
- 30th July, bookings commence
I think Mahindra also wants to get a sense of the variant-wise demand which can work as an input for them in deciding the pricing of AT and 4wd.

Quote:
It is quite simple that if the booking window opens at a certain point in time, a retail customer has to only punch in his or her own order, whereas a dealer has to punch in a series of orders from each terminal even if they had multiple computers at work.
Someone mentioned on this thread earlier that dealers have some sort of a bulk upload feature available. I would think something like an excel upload.

But despite that, I am not sure how easy to use it is and how many dealers have staff who is well versed with it. It could lead to mistakes in bulk too. That too could be a reason for dealers anyway punching in one by one.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th June 2022 at 20:03. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Please use the Edit/Quote+ functionality to quote multiple posts.
tarunjain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 18:56   #1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxBox View Post
What's with new-age Mahindras with the weird-looking rear designs?

It's like those times when you as a kid went to a drawing competition and started drawing something really good and by the time you realized that 75% of the time limit was over and you still had to finish the rest of the drawing - so you just want to finish it somehow and complete it haphazardly. The same look like with these new-age designs - the front looks acceptable and by the time you come to the rear it's like - what is this?! (at least that is what it seems from these pictures and would be very happy to be proven wrong).

IMO what I feel looks odd in this picture is:
1) The glass areas are too big for modern-day designs and we are used to seeing rising shoulder lines and probably smaller glass areas in the second and third rows in comparison to the front.

2) Famous Mahindra kink on the rear doors (Mahindra seems to have a fascination for these rear door kinks)

Attachment 2310464
Happy to be proven wrong on this. The rear does seem to be more proportionate and well-balanced from the pictures at least.

Dare to say even more attractive than the front end!

Name:  scorpioN20222696x408.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  55.3 KB

Pic Source: GaadiWaadi.com
BoxBox is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 18:59   #1764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunjain View Post
I think Mahindra also wants to get a sense of the variant-wise demand which can work as an input for them in deciding the pricing of AT and 4wd.
Seems like that. I am expecting they are going to charge a heavy premium for AT and 4WD.

Plus with this details added and already added to cart what is left is only place order for 30 July. Looks like Mahindra is planning a "25k cars booked in 10 mins" headline. Though we have all heard of this in Mobile flash sales. But this is a 25L car this time instead of a 25k phone

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 28th June 2022 at 19:01.
Old 28th June 2022, 19:03   #1765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Clear skies and 100% adventure with the all new Scorpio-N - Link

Link

Thanks Venkatesh for sharing it. The black color with green background in forest is awesome. Looks like a black panther . How big the son roof is? (may be in comparison with Venue or City)

PS: I do observed a white one is following the black. Waiting for your review.
Old 28th June 2022, 19:12   #1766
BHPian

Display launched at our local dealership, Bhubaneswar. Second photo is for those who have doubt about boot space with folded 3rd row. It is reasonable boot space.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-20220628_190626.jpg  

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-20220628_190828.jpg  

Arinmech is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 19:12   #1767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Road presence of the Scorpio N vs Endeavour and Fortuner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushgandhi View Post

Here are a few clicks after my experience with the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitmoses View Post
Looks like the media drives are starting to come out.
Is it just me or does that departure angle looks too small? If so, would be a real shame.

The approach angle still looks decent though. Can't wait for the official TBHP review.
Old 28th June 2022, 19:18   #1768
BHPian

Looking at the price chart and the Scorpio features, not sure why anyone would need an Alcazar or MG hector now.

Scorpio with a 4WD is an all terrain vehicle and the one that will cater to you everywhere you want to take it.

Anyone who is looking for a family mover (with the best available safety features) with occasional off-roading can now straight away go for a Scorpio 4WD.

Suddenly Scorpio has become the most VFM (value for money) car.

The OTR in Pune for the Z8L diesel AWD AT should come around 23-24L still short of 4-5L that XUV700 diesel top model with AWD AT is commanding.

That means now the price brackets are 10-15L; 15-20L; 20-25L; and 30L plus.

I don't think Scorpio had ever crossed 20L on road here in Pune. SO, whoever says that the pricing is spot on should consider that the prices are now made to look comparative with other products from the similar manufacturers as well and so it's a both way win situation for Mahindra. Scorpio still capable and cheaper than XUV700 and XUV700 with better features than Scorpio.

In today's market where chip shortage has converted the market from buyer's to seller's, people are ready to pay any price making any price justified.

And EVERY other manufacturer has taken advantage of this fact including the middle class car company (MSIL).

However, just like Carens filled a very big gap in the MPV segment, Scorpio is going to fill the same in the SUV segment 'coz Scorpio has always been one car that you can drive anywhere, just anywhere without worrying about its capabilities.

So despite the prices and the corresponding hikes in the upcoming days, the cost of ownership will always look 'reasonable', all thanks to the manufacturers' advantage.

The only similar capable family (6/7 seater) cars (no offense to any other car owner) have been Fortuner, Endeavour and Isuzu MUX till now only and considering only Fortuner still holding the ground, 80-90% of Fortuner as someone said in 50-55% of the price is a blessing in disguise.

Scorpio is going to break all the sales records for Mahindra for sure now since there is no direct competitor in this price range. Every manufacturer has already crossed the price hike resistance barrier during the COVID times and has converted the same into an acceptable trend.

I have driven Scorpio on beaches and mountains and what not and it has never disappointed. I could not purchase the earlier one only because the automatic was discontinued and there were no more than 2 airbags. Now we have the basic safety needs and the SUV capabilities answered so I am definitely going for one. only question is when :-) ('coz I recently purchased XL6 alpha AT and I am from middle class). I am still a risk taker though ;-).

Happy shopping guys!
Old 28th June 2022, 19:41   #1769
Senior - BHPian

Seeing the prices of Scorpio N, other cars like Creta, Seltos, Kushaq, Taigun etc. starts looking super expensive, forget Toyota, they are in different league altogether.

You can buy Scorpio N Z6 with 2.2 Liter diesel engine & lots of features at around 18 lakhs OTR which is just great. On the other hand, in the same price you get tiny 1.0 Liter petrol Kushaq or Taigun top end. Scorpio N gives you so much more, I am impressed. I saw car in person today and boy it has some road presence. Looks really cool, specially in black color.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 19:41   #1770
BHPian

The pricing seems super-close to the XUV700, right? Am I missing something?
I know the BOF aspect is being marketed a lot, but to a common buyer, does it really make sense?
Looks like equivalent XUV700 models are just 1-2 lakhs more. If AT and 4x4 prices are more, then they will be super close to XUV pricing. Is this Mahindra trying to milk the huge waitlists for XUV?
ronk is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed