Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2022, 19:40   #541
BHPian

re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Could the "New Scorpio" end up becoming and XUV 900?

If it is going to sit above the XUV700, M&M might keep selling the current Scorpio as is. Something like this will sell well abroad especially in countries like Australia where Mahindra has been doing well
Old 28th April 2022, 19:49   #542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
The new Scorpio will sit above XUV700 in price range. It would be priced around 23-24 Lacs ex Showroom for the starting Variants.
I'm sure you have sources, please don't take this as me doubting them/ you!

For a car expected to retail at 23+ Lakhs ex-showroom, placed above the current flagship that is XUV7OO, and having jumpseats in the third row - somehow doesn't sit well, at least for me.

So assuming your source is right about this, I'm gonna hazard a guess - at launch, M&M will undercut the XUV7OO, give a sticker shock like they did with the 7OO, and once the new Scorpio goes for GNCAP, will kill the base version with jumper seats and make it a 5 seater.

But even then, a 5 seater Scorpio being priced on par or higher than 7OO?
ph03n!x is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 20:12   #543
BHPian

For someone who picked up XUV5OO back in 2012 at 15L, these Scorpio test mules are a close watch. Given that the XUV7OO is way to premium beyond 20L + (for me) and also lacks the tall car feel in the current form, Scorpio is of course next in list.

I wish this Scorpio sits below the XUV7OO so that it can get dearer and end up becoming the ideal SUV alternative under 20L unlike the Hyundais and Kias of the world.

I wish they do not retain the jump seats and stays within 20L so that they can be an ideal alternative for the XUV5OO fans like me
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 20:19   #544
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The New Scorpio is actually heavily reworked Alturus G4. And having felt it, I can assure all of us that it's nothing like what we have driven below the Land Cruiser. The NVH levels are next to Zero. The steering is like its gliding.
Heavily reworked Alturas G4?

Mahindra can develop the XUV700 from scratch, but has to base their most important model on a product from a company which they just sold? Something doesn't add up. Maybe Mahindra used some touch points (buttons, stalks) electronics and sound deadening technique from the Alturas.

Maybe in the future, but at launch I believe the Scorpio will undercut the XUV700 and remain so atleast for an year.
DicKy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 20:54   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If this is true, then it ties-in with the earlier post that the current Scorpio will continue to be there along with Z101.
Yes the Current Scorpio will continue to sell along with the new one. Thats what the plan has been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
I highly doubt that a car that sits at about the Alturas G4 category will have a sideward opening tailgate.
Some traits or the things which the current Scorpio have will have to be carried forward. DNA and genes have to be similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I'm sure you have sources, please don't take this as me doubting them/ you!

For a car expected to retail at 23+ Lakhs ex-showroom, placed above the current flagship that is XUV7OO, and having jumpseats in the third row - somehow doesn't sit well, at least for me.

So assuming your source is right about this, I'm gonna hazard a guess - at launch, M&M will undercut the XUV7OO, give a sticker shock like they did with the 7OO, and once the new Scorpio goes for GNCAP, will kill the base version with jumper seats and make it a 5 seater.

But even then, a 5 seater Scorpio being priced on par or higher than 7OO?
The current Scorpio S9 and S11 are almost at AX5-7 prices ex showroom. So how can the New one with more standard Technology under cut a two Decade old product.

The Thar is also at par with S5 an S7 variants. And why are we assuming that the Scorpio cannot be the flagship Model.

Jump seat can be used as a decoy. I am just saying.

There is no place to price the Scorpio other than Above the XUV700. And I was also hoping it to be priced below the XUV700 but one look at the vehicle cleared my doubts. Even I was doubtful of the Alturus G4 platform being used but was royally proven wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Heavily reworked Alturas G4?

Mahindra can develop the XUV700 from scratch, but has to base their most important model on a product from a company which they just sold? Something doesn't add up. Maybe Mahindra used some touch points (buttons, stalks) electronics and sound deadening technique from the Alturas.

Maybe in the future, but at launch I believe the Scorpio will undercut the XUV700 and remain so atleast for an year.
Mahindra Also developed the Alturus G4 from scratch. And it's a very capable vehicle. Mahindra has used the basic underpins and have improved upon the over all platform.

And my point can be easily cross verified. Please search the recent pictures with Ford Endeavour. The dimensions can be easily judged.

The New Scorpio under cutting the XUV700 is highly unlikely. There might be a base variant that under cuts the AX7L but not the whole line up.

And one more little scoop. The technology Scorpio is going to introduced will make the XUV700 look vanilla. The suspension setup is going to set a new bench mark. And the width of the Vehicle is a lot more than XUV700. We can actually have a party inside the new Scorpio and used the Arm rest as a proper table.

Last edited by manikjeet : 28th April 2022 at 21:04.
manikjeet is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 21:23   #546
Distinguished - BHPian

M&M will most certainly position the Scorpio below the XUV700. The interiors of the new Scorpio are more rudimentary, there does not seem to be a wow factor about this car. M&M benchmarked the XUV700 against the Kodiaq (similar 3 row monocoque SUV) so that they can say at launch that they have made a product that is even better in many aspects at a much lower price point.

Along the same vein, they are now positioning Scorpio against the Fortuner (similar body-on-frame 3-row SUV). It is the same strategy. While Kodiaq started at ~35 lakhs, XUV 700n was launched starting at 12 lakhs ex-showroom. So benchmarking against the Fortuner does not ion any way mean they will launch the Scorpio at that price bracket. It is simply a strategy to give the customers the impression that they are getting so much more than what they paid for. My guess is Scorpio will have a very similar introductory starting price point as the XUV 700 (11.99 Lakhs ex-showroom) as the XUV has vacated that price point and now starts at 13.20 lakhs.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 28th April 2022 at 21:26.
84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 22:47   #547
BHPian

Just got the news that dealer training is slated for next month. A very clear indication that launch is quite close. May follow the exact same timeline of reveal as the XUV700.
Abhikumar629 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 23:21   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
M&M will most certainly position the Scorpio below the XUV700. The interiors of the new Scorpio are more rudimentary, there does not seem to be a wow factor about
Agree 100% to this. As stated earlier as well, even if one looks at the presumably top of the line variant pic with centre rotary dial for 4X4, the interiors are just fine. An earlier pic of third row with fixed headrest and average quality leatherette is another indicator. The screen is a regular one, way inferior to XUV700 setup which is one of the biggest selling point for it. I cannot fathom this thing being priced above XUV700.
Old 28th April 2022, 23:40   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mahindra Also developed the Alturus G4 from scratch. And it's a very capable vehicle. ...
If your source told you this, please take everything else with dollops of salt!

The Alturas G4 is the second generation Ssangyong Rexton that was imported to India as CKD, and added Mahindra touches - front grill, badging et all.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SsangYong_Rexton

Mahindra did not develop this from the scratch!
ph03n!x is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 23:52   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the Current Scorpio will continue to sell along with the new one. Thats what the plan has been.
This is what is the confusing thing.

The current ones prices are 13.5L to 18.5L ex. If any variants of the next gen scorpio falls in this range, why would anyone buy current gen Scorpio's variant which is in that price bracket. He may as well buy the new one, whether it is the lower variants, still better than the existing one.

So doesn't it simply mean either take the current one out of the market or start the pricing from 18.5L onwards for the new one. Customers to look at a quite complicated value prop. Looking forward to an interesting marketing strategy.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 28th April 2022 at 23:55.
Old 29th April 2022, 00:51   #551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

The current ones prices are 13.5L to 18.5L ex. If any variants of the next gen scorpio falls in this range, why would anyone buy current gen Scorpio's variant which is in that price bracket. He may as well buy the new one, whether it is the lower variants, still better than the existing one.

So doesn't it simply mean either take the current one out of the market or start the pricing from 18.5L onwards for the new one. Customers to look at a quite complicated value prop. Looking forward to an interesting marketing strategy.
Maybe Mahindra will rebrand this as an entirely new SUV like what they did with XUV700.
Old 29th April 2022, 10:28   #552
BHPian

Quote:
The new Scorpio will sit above XUV700 in price range. It would be priced around 23-24 Lacs ex Showroom for the starting Variants.
This is exactly what I speculated in my earlier posts. Many things are hinting the same.

Quote:

The current Scorpio S9 and S11 are almost at AX5-7 prices ex showroom. So how can the New one with more standard Technology under cut a two Decade old product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

The current ones prices are 13.5L to 18.5L ex. If any variants of the next gen scorpio falls in this range, why would anyone buy current gen Scorpio's variant which is in that price bracket.
This is one such hint. There is absolutely no price gap available to place the new Scorpio without cannibalizing their other products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post
Maybe Mahindra will rebrand this as an entirely new SUV like what they did with XUV700.
Yes, this one which we are assuming to be named as Scorpio/ScorpioN, could altogether be a different SUV.
Knightrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 11:14   #553
BHPian

Resonating what I had expressed earlier too on this thread that most signs are pointing that Scorpio will be priced above XUV700 simply for the reason that there is no price gap available especially when there is Thar 5-door on the cards too.
(I have no sources so take that with a bucket of salt)

Quote:
The technology Scorpio is going to introduced will make the XUV700 look vanilla
M&M please provide a locking differential. I know most customers may not be looking for that, but IF M&M does this, few folks like me would compromise on features like a panoramic sunroof in a jiffy.

Too much asked? I will shut up now.
Old 29th April 2022, 17:24   #554
Senior - BHPian

New-gen Mahindra Scorpio tailights in the market ahead of actual car!

The next big new car launch from Mahindra will be the new-gen Scorpio. We still don't have the exact launch date and apart from a few spy shots and a low-res leaked image, no one knows what the final production car might look like.

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-scorpio-tail-light.jpeg

However, the SUV's taillights have already hit the market, even though the launch of the new Scorpio is still some time away. This image, taken at Delhi's famous Karol Bagh, shows what seems to be the production-spec tail lamp of the Scorpio.

If you look closely, the shape of the tail lamp cluster is similar to those seen on the test mules. The horizontal chrome insert can also be seen in some of the images.

Name:  Screenshot 20220425 121348.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  94.4 KB

The new Scorpio is expected to be based on a ladder-frame chassis. It could be offered with a 2.0-litre diesel engine producing 158 BHP, paired with either a 6-speed manual or an automatic transmission. An all-wheel-drive system could be offered on select variants.

Thanks to Harsh Sharma for sending this image in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 29th April 2022 at 17:30.
TusharK is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 17:30   #555
Senior - BHPian

Re: New-gen Mahindra Scorpio tailights in the market ahead of actual car!

Similar post about the tail light of new Scorpio was posted in Dec '21.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5223039
arun1100 is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks