Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2022, 19:25   #616
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob1000 View Post
The Hood Scoop seems to have been given the boot. Feel like that was one of the key design elements of the Scorpio.
More like put on the top shelf, to be pulled out for a refresh in a couple of years. Remember the prev gen Scorpio ?
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 19:26   #617
BHPian

Just as "over design" is a trait of mahindra cars, I think their ads/teasers too appear a little forced to me.

I always feel, they reach to a point where they may have achieved an excellent design or ad theme but in a bid to outdo the competition, they over do certain parts. (Case in Point : XuV700 grill or the forced delivery of lines here in this case)

BUT, I am still looking forward to the new scorpio.
Samegoodkid is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 19:32   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Did the lady in the video say 'Lets take on the D segment'?
It could mean, 'We have a C segment SUV that's better than D segment once'. Why would they position Scorpio above XUV 700 which itself is above 500.
Siddarth_Ramani is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 19:33   #619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff9091 View Post
....and eat a share of the Fortuner's sales figures by pricing the car right with the right amount of tech and engine specs
As a Scorpio owner, I feel the above ambition would be a bridge too far for M&M in general and the Scorpio in particular, at least at this point in time. The Fortuner's USP is bullet proof reliability and longevity, not engine specs or tech. M&M would do well to be realistic and make this a much better iteration of the current Scorpio, and improve their after sales service. That will get them more consistent sales figures in the medium to long term, rather than acting on some quixotic intention of competing with the Fortuner (not price wise). And yes, also go easy on the cheesiness in their ads!

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 6th May 2022 at 19:39.
comfortablynumb is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 19:41   #620
BHPian

The rumor could be true that its placed above XUV 700 as teaser says ''Big Daddy of SUVS".
Piyush_DT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 19:50   #621
Senior - BHPian

So it's definitely BIGGER, Anand Mahindra about next-gen Scorpio.

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-smartselect_20220506194906_twitter.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 20:14   #622
BANNED

Oh GOD! If they are going head on with Fortuner then I really hope its road presence is better and its feature loaded undercutting Fortuner. Also I really pray that people shouldn't shy away from it just because of the name 'Scorpio'.
Piyush Kanthak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 20:28   #623
BHPian

I'm assuming that the launch date will be around June as the first Scorpio was launched on June 20th 2002, 20 years ago. Why would they want to miss a lucky date?
saisree is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 21:07   #624
Distinguished - BHPian

From seeing the camouflaged images of the test mules, the new Scorpio does appear to be an overly tall SUV. This would be in line with the Scorpio gene, as the first generation also was quite a tall SUV. This one looks even taller, and somehow looks a little bit disproportionate in terms of its height relative to its weight and length. The new-gen Thar, on the other hand, look shorter than the previous generation Thar, mainly due to the increased width.

Beyond a certain point, additional height is not necessarily desirable or practical - it increases the centre of gravity of the car, thereby reducing stability and increasing body roll. It also increases wind resistance and therefore reduces fuel efficiency. Also vertical space is not usable like lateral space for passengers or luggage - heck, this is not a double decker

In my Thar 2020, there is already so much headroom even when I have my seat at the highest position and I am 6'2" tall. There is around 6-8 inches of room above my head in my Thar hard top. I think the new Scorpio's roof will most likely be a foot above the driver's head! Yes, it will look quite formidable like a big daddy, but it's not necessarily good for handling, NVH or fuel efficiency.
84.monsoon is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 21:10   #625
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
So it's definitely BIGGER, Anand Mahindra about next-gen Scorpio.

Attachment 2304970
The new Scorpio is definitely bigger than current one, bolder - depends on the styling, better - it'll be considering the current Scorpio is very utilitarian. The new Scorpio will definitely be much better with the big screen, better interiors.

Those who buy a Fortuner buys it for the 'T' badge, I doubt anyone will save few lakhs and buy a Scorpio instead, around that segment. Mahindra is better off keeping the new Scorpio under the XUV 700 as that's the budget the Scorpio is always known and related to.

The lady says 'Lets take on the D segment' - doesn't it mean they target the segment and not necessarily price there ? And the current Scorpio is in C segment and XUV 700 is in D ? Which means a value for money C segment gaadi taking the fight to D segment = which is what usually Mahindra does ! They build a product that competes with higher segment at a lower price point.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th May 2022 at 21:15.
swiftnfurious is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 21:12   #626
BHPian

This may be just my mere speculation, but based on the current set of engines and features Mahindra has, this vehicle is going to be marketed as a massive value for money D - Segment vehicle, with a top variant under 33 lakhs on road. To justify the prices of base variants I'm sure those would be decently equipped including alloy wheels, touchscreen and a host of other stuff.

I still don't understand why Mahindra keeps trying to expand to the D segment when it does not have the brand appeal, but based on how good their cars have been, and using the Scorpio nameplate, maybe this could be a success.

Also, another reason to go to a higher segment is that the current Scorpio costs 20 lakhs already, those who bought Scorpio's years ago for around 13 - 14 lakhs now buy crossovers for the price. If the features are justified, the Scorpio could easily be an upgrade for those who owned its previous generations. The Scorpio nameplate + feature list may be enough for most to buy this car.
TorqueMonster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 21:36   #627
srh
BHPian

This won't get the Scorpio name plate. Also, a refresh of the current Scorpio is in pipeline.

In all likelihood, this will be placed in such a way that it overlaps the mid-high variants of current Scorpio and goes upto the mid XUV7OO variants in terms of pricing. Should be an enticing proposition for people desiring a proper BOF passenger SUV which is sensibly priced unlike the Fortuner.
srh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 21:38   #628
BHPian

Just one request Mahindra.
Please let us access the water bottle in the bottle holder with the doors shut !
jayram.r is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 21:44   #629
BHPian

Need to wait for the real pricing. Mahindra has already shocked with XUV700 pricing in a good way. The new scorpio is bigger if you recall the combined photo of this and Ford’s Endeavor.

Let’s wait and see what exactly Mahindra offers.

Cheers.
Old 6th May 2022, 21:50   #630
Senior - BHPian

I think if there is a top-end 4x4 AT model with a 5-star rating, many potential 4x4 AT Fortuner customers will think twice. Because it is not just a few lakhs, the difference will be about 20L. Even if M&M prices Scorpio optimistically, it will still be at around 35L. Even in that case, it is still 15L difference with Scorpio having a lot more features. The question then is whether 15L is worth all that reliability and longevity. Especially at the fag end of the ICE era. Realistically, I expect the top-end 4x4 AT to be 60 % of Fortuner's top-end price which is around 30L.

I am sure there will be many who will still go for Fortuner because of the brand value and peace of mind. But in a side-by-side comparison of size, specs, and features, the new Scorpio will be comparable to Fortuner or better than it in my opinion.
padmrajravi is online now   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed