Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2022, 12:40   #676
Kln
BHPian

re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
So the MT gets 130HP motor? Isn't that too less for "Big Daddy". While I believe this is good enough for the intended purpose, to take on D segment, Scorpio needs more.
Still more than the current gen's 119 bhp I believe. The Big Daddy moniker is surely going to bite them in the ass. Mahindra traditionally underpromises and overdelivers - this one looks to be the other way around.
Kln is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 12:44   #677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
Still more than the current gen's 119 bhp I believe. The Big Daddy moniker is surely going to bite them in the ass. Mahindra traditionally underpromises and overdelivers - this one looks to be the other way around.
I thought the top variants of current model are rated at 140HP. mHawk initially came with single tune but the higher tune was later offered with top variant.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 12:58   #678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So the MT gets 130HP motor? Isn't that too less for "Big Daddy". While I believe this is good enough for the intended purpose, to take on D segment, Scorpio needs more.
I think only the top variants will be taking on the D segment. For that, if they want, they can use the 185 PS powerplant from XUV700. That is not very far from the D segment rivals.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 13:03   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
New Mahindra Scorpio Diesel Manual 2WD Power output is rated same as Thar at 130bhp.

https://Youtu.be/QBORH3dvCPI
While I completely agree that the power output of 130 BHP, if true, is a dampener, I am wondering can it be 130 kW?

If the power output is indeed 130 bhp for the base variant, an ex showroom price if RS 10.99 lacs for the base variant is a strong possibility.

Last edited by Geta : 10th May 2022 at 13:05.
Old 10th May 2022, 13:41   #680
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
New Mahindra Scorpio Diesel Manual 2WD Power output is rated same as Thar at 130bhp.
Looks like they are continuing the existing strategy of lower power for lower variants, i.e if those tyres are a sign of this being a lower variant. Expecting the higher variants to get the 155bhp tune.

Though. 130bhp and those tyres, an ARAI of 16+kmpl???
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 13:43   #681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Still more than the current gen's 119 bhp I believe.
Quote:
I thought the top variants of current model are rated at 140HP.
Yes, the current top variants are of 140 horses. While the lower variants are at 120.
Old 10th May 2022, 15:21   #682
BHPian

From the camouflage pictures I can make out this much that the third row if any will be terribly cramped in this car. And those who were thinking this might go against Fortuner can take a look at the seats above. Definitely not for D segment. Also from these pictures atleast I'm getting an impression that this car looks more like a matured Xylo/Marazzo than a mascular Scorpio specially without those body claddings. I might be wrong though.
Carpainter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 17:45   #683
BHPian

Quote:
The current gen in all its variants is powered by the mHawk D140 engine, with 140hp/320nm.

This is surely the base model as you can clearly see the hubcaps, no led fog lights, halogen headlights and no DRL's. Even the XUV700 is offered with a 155hp diesel in the base MX trim-line. This lower state of tune diesel 2.2 would replace the m2dicr engine, mainly it caters to the semi urban and rural segment and is comparatively cheaper than the top end variants

I'm noticing many bhpians draw conclusions just based on few spy images and leaks about the scorpio's competitors, pricing etc. Its best we wait for few more weeks and let Mahindra clear the air with the launch
Cliff9091 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 18:42   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
From the camouflage pictures I can make out this much that the third row if any will be terribly cramped in this car. And those who were thinking this might go against Fortuner can take a look at the seats above. Definitely not for D segment. Also from these pictures atleast I'm getting an impression that this car looks more like a matured Xylo/Marazzo than a mascular Scorpio specially without those body claddings. I might be wrong though.
Thanks, I was also thinking that this exudes the feel of the Xylo in these pictures. But also lets keep in mind that Xylo had the BEST third row seating space. The boot space here, from the other pictures, is almost non-existent like the Xylo, which was a big dampener for Xylo sales then, and I believe will be in future for the Scorpio in case it comes with such minimal boot space.
manij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 21:51   #685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well that puts to rest all the wild speculation about this being slotted above the xuv700 and having 200+hp and taking on fortuner and all that crap
Old 10th May 2022, 21:56   #686
Senior - BHPian

If the Scorpio is pegged below the XUV700, this will likely steal XL6 customers.

A more substantial, solid, safer car with a diesel engine offering. The maruti van will have a tough time.
Old 10th May 2022, 22:01   #687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff9091 View Post
The current gen in all its variants is powered by the mHawk D140 engine, with 140hp/320nm.
Slight correction sir, the base variant S3+ has a detuned 120 BHP/280Nm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
If the Scorpio is pegged below the XUV700, this will likely steal XL6 customers.
A more substantial, solid, safer car with a diesel engine offering. The maruti van will have a tough time.
Remember, this is going to be a behemoth SUV and M&M is calling it as big daddy of SUV's . Being cheaper by no means will have to attract every buyer out there in the market for a cross over or simply a 7 seater and definitely not someone who is after a Maruti stable.

As with name, if current gen Scorpio is continuing, the new one simply cannot have the same name to avoid confusion. At least a suffix to be expected - Scorpio++/oN/Sting..

Last edited by balenoed_ : 10th May 2022 at 22:22.
Old 10th May 2022, 22:41   #688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Remember, this is going to be a behemoth SUV and M&M is calling it as big daddy of SUV's . Being cheaper by no means will have to attract every buyer out there in the market for a cross over or simply a 7 seater and definitely not someone who is after a Maruti stable.
True, not all of them. But if we assume the pricing to be on par/close to the XL6, the Scorpio's value proposition will be astonishing. Plus the added advantage of diesel. If Mahindra reveal good NCAP results (as they have with recent launches) that's the cherry on top. Again not every maruti customer will be swayed, but many will have second thoughts.

Considering the dismal sales figures of the Marazzo, Mahindra will chase this price bracket without a doubt. The new Scorpio also has the novelty factor vis a vis the nip-tuck XL6 that looks the same.

The biggest advantage XL6 has over the Mahindra is that the former is available relatively soon or in a few months, while for the Scorpio one might have to wait for eternity.
Old 10th May 2022, 22:48   #689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Remember, this is going to be a behemoth SUV and M&M is calling it as big daddy of SUV's.
Exactly. The teaser also said, it will take on the D segment. The 130-BHP engine is now diagonally-opposed (pun intended) with what they have claimed in their teaser video. Vehicle looks substantial; almost massive and with a 130BHP mill it could well be the granddad of all SUVs, arthritic.

Needless to say, the D segment claim doesn't make sense either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff9091 View Post
Its best we wait for few more weeks and let Mahindra clear the air with the launch
I beg to differ . IMHO this (the pre-launch guesswork) is the most interesting and fun part of a launch. The guesswork was in fact spot on about features and price in many an occasion. Even fate was correctly predicted (Renault Captur).

Once a car is launched, the discussion will get realistic; about the features and omissions etc. There goes the thrill factor.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 10th May 2022 at 22:49.
sandeepmdas is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 23:10   #690
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post

Really? Why a petrol-only XL6 is getting affected and why not a diesel-powered carens?

It's the XUV700 that is going to be affected the most.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 10th May 2022 at 23:40.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks