Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2022, 08:51   #736
BHPian

re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

At the rate Fortuner prices are increasing, looks like this is a bargain even at 25L!
Siddarth_Ramani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 08:55   #737
BHPian

Get the feeling it might end up being an XUV500 with Scorpio snout.
Old 13th May 2022, 09:24   #738
Team-BHP Support

Before all the pricing predictions -

Do remember that the Thar is now over 20L in some states and still has a long waiting list.

Between the Thar and the new Scorpio - there will be an intentional price-gap to position the 4-door Thar coming next year.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 09:55   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
Not sure if Pratap Bose has any contribution to the design of this Scorpio. But whoever has incorporated that sting elements in the chrome strip and in the DRLs near fog lights has done a fantastic job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff9091 View Post
I'm assuming the New Scorpio is one Ms Kripa Ananthan's work, hats off the entire team. Too bad she isn't with Mahindra now
I was one of the few that had chance to see the initial design pitch with half clay model and design reasoning. I can confirm that, at least the fog lamp + DRL resembling a scorpion and it's sting was finalized around early 2017.So this part is definitely Ms. Kripa's team and her.

I am seeing the side chrome element on the shoulder line for the first time, so can't comment on it.

Last edited by saikarthik : 13th May 2022 at 09:56.
saikarthik is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 09:59   #740

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Hopefully Mahindra gives the option of 4x4 or AWD on lower/mid spec variants too and not limited to top end model.

I don't want all your fancy electronics, I just want a simple car where all 4 wheels are powered.
I echo the same sentiment. All I need is a 6-seater vehicle, robust chassis, a punchy engine, a 4 X 4 or an AWD system, a basic ac, and a decent enough music system below 15 -17 lakhs ex-showroom. I wish Mahindra has something which meets these requirements or maybe I'm a bit too wishful
parrymx5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 10:10   #741
Senior - BHPian

This will be priced above XUV700 for sure. Good that it is very different from current Scorpio and i hope Mahindra will keep selling current avatar as it still sells in good numbers. This will give fortuner like space and power at half price. I guess Mahindra will start pricing this around 20 lakes. All the best Mahindra 👍
Old 13th May 2022, 10:15   #742
Senior - BHPian

The Teaser didnt look impressive, looks like it was home made in mahindra research valley. The Big daddy to me seems like a XUV500 with new dress.

And maybe they will call it a scorpio.
Old 13th May 2022, 10:55   #743

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR07 View Post
The car seems to be turning up quite good. But this promo was very cheesy especially with the daddy part!
Feels immature and made by some teenager. They do the same thing in their cars too. Mahindra Rise logo at the startup with tacky music. The current Scorpio had very immature fonts used throughout the tachometer. The car is muscular but the fonts reminds me gadgets in 80s sci-fi movies, both of them do not match at all. I could never understand Mahindra's design language, or even if they have one. Tata seems to be better at this. They are consistent.
WeekSpeller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 11:14   #744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Also, how can they just simply use the Godfather theme at the end? Wouldn't there be any issues?
They copied the design of a complete car (thar) and didn't didn't get flak for it, why would they stop at music?
ubermensch is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 11:48   #745
BHPian

Chuckled like a college back-bencher on each "Daddy" reference. Honestly though, how did this even get approval from the marketing seniors?

Jokes aside, this genuinely feels to be an Alturas replacement rather than something positioned between Thar and XUV 700. The XUV is already loaded to the gills with ADAS, AWD, and whatnot - what significant additions could Mahindra offer to justify a 35-40L sticker price (if at all it is placed above the XUV)?

PS - I thought Tata missed a trick by not leveraging the Safari legacy and positioning it along with the Alturas/Endeavor/Fortuner range. Instead of simply being a Harrier Pro Max version. Maybe Mahindra could take better advantage of the well-respected and somewhat aspirational "Scorpio" tag.
aniket13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 11:59   #746
BHPian

Saw a camouflaged front and rear bumper Scorpio moving towards ARAI today that means the existing Scorpio may continue.
Old 13th May 2022, 12:41   #747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrymx5 View Post
All I need is a 6-seater vehicle, robust chassis, a punchy engine, a 4 X 4 or an AWD system, a basic ac, and a decent enough music system below 15 -17 lakhs ex-showroom.
For that price you get will current gen Scorpio, less 4x4 & decent music system.. Rest is taken care.

For me daddy looks more of a Altura'ish than Scorpio'ish, may be the camouflage is covering the Scorpio features. Or the modern design thinking wouldn't let you bring on designs older than two decades to the table. Just like how Tata ended up with Safari:

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-scorpio.jpg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 13th May 2022 at 12:59.
balenoed_ is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 12:47   #748
Distinguished - BHPian

New Teaser:

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-1.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th May 2022 at 13:01.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 12:47   #749
BHPian

I for one felt that it was a decent teaser trailer; not slick, but does emphasize the D segment that they are now benchmarking themselves against. It will be hard for any viewer to forget "Daddy" for "D-segment" after watching the video - whether they cringe, dislike or like the video.

Also, wasn't that Amitabh Bachhan's voice towards the end of the video?
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 13:42   #750
BHPian

"Big", "high tech", "from future","nothing else will do" may as well be the XUV 9OO.

Scorpio should cater to the compact and rugged SUV space. Make it too big and those folks would rather continue with Bolero!
mkumar79 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed