Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2022, 11:45   #766
BHPian

re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Why do the current Mahindra cars always look better in camouflage

Seriously though , the entire rear end just seems off. Like it was designed as an afterthought. The tailgate is too busy , the lights are too Similar to the volvo XC90 , the rear bumper goes too low and makes it look like a van , not an SUV.

The rear end just looks generic , you could slap on any badge from any Chinese car manufacturer and it wouldn't look out of place here.

Last edited by amoi : 14th May 2022 at 11:50.
amoi is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 11:58   #767

To me, the rear end looks like a copy of Volvo, and to look different they ended up like XL6 on rear lights.
manub22 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 11:58   #768
BHPian

I wonder if someone else feels this car is a chimera of Gloster, Marazzo , Chevy Spark? Almost as if an AI was fed pictures of random cars and this is what it could come up with. Mixed feelings on the aesthetics, hopefully they don't price it the way recent launches in the market are positioned.
ubermensch is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 12:07   #769
Senior - BHPian

Somehow the boot door isn’t complementing to the overall looks - perhaps a spare wheel addition would’ve looked nice, maybe? Besides, is anyone else seeing a Volvo XC90 inspired tail light

Source: snippet from TBHP post itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-82a59aa14e5941eeb4d2b412f91e9a95.jpeg  

gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 12:10   #770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Got this scoop pics from this Instagram page
Has a Tata sumo grande vibe to it, in the sense that the previously SUV looks has turned into something more MUV. What made the Scorpio so popular in Punjab, Haryana and the Hindi heartland was the macho image, almost like a mini-fortuner, I can’t but help feel that has been diluted. Maybe it’s the angle, views can change once these hit the streets.

And why is Mahindra sticking to side opening doors? I thought we’ve moved past that.
dragracer567 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 12:13   #771
BHPian

Someone in Ms Ananthan's team was really obsessed with XXL sized rear lights it seems,eg those of the face(? rear) lifted last gen XUV500, then Marazzo's..appeared to be trying too much at once and loosing the cohesiveness in the process. The WagonR- esque appearance of these lights appears rather out of character for the Scorpio here as well...and the chrome largesse gives more Bappi Lahiri segment vibes than D segment. Hope it appears better in flesh!
Vtach is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 12:30   #772
Senior - BHPian

I mostly see dissatisfied looking comments on upcoming car launches these days. I hope there are no more posts on the rear tail gate. Its not a production spec model but just a car undergoing the final pre launch tests. Notice holes near the front parking sensors in one of the images. Production spec wont have those either. Let us wait for the final version of the product and then we can make our observations.

The previous gen Scorpio, regardless of being macho, had a very crude interiors. The tail lights could be resembling Wagon R or a Volvo but they sure are better than the previous design in the Scorpio.
PaddleShifter is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 13:00   #773
BHPian

It really cracks me up to see everyone being so critical of the design of the new Scorpio as well as being so unsure whether this is going to slot in above or below the XUV7OO.

I have driven more than 2L KM in a brand new 2005 Scorpio CRDe. I am now a current gen Scorpio owner, bought new in 2016, top end automatic. So I think I am pretty qualified to say the following:
  • Yes the new Scorpio's design does tend to border on funky and is not 100% clean, but when has any Scorpio design been 100% clean? This is Mahindra's design language and this is what they are going to do. Either way, whatever you say, even with the funkiest of designs it is going to be a runaway success due to it being serious VFM.
  • Talking about VFM, I bought my Scorpio for 16L on the road. What else could I have got at that time in this price range, which matches in terms of space, reliability, comfort and most importantly, go anywhere ability? There is absolutely NOTHING in the price range that even comes close if this is what you are looking for. For goodness sake, a top end i20 N-Line is almost the same price today. I am not comparing the two, but if you are looking for a proper SUV in this price range then this is your only option. It is SERIOUS VFM. So it's pretty obvious that it is going to slot in below the XUV7OO, not even a doubt about this.
  • My 2.2 MHawk has the old tune, think it is 120BHP or so. While it is not going to win any drag races, the torque is more than sufficient and gets me up to more than comfortable speeds as quickly as I expect. So 140/150BHP in the new Scorpio is going to be very pleasant to drive. This is no X5 so lets not expect it to be as fast as one.

Basically what I am trying to say is, understand the Scorpio for what it is. It is not a Fortuner. It is not a baby Endeavour. What it is, is a solid, VFM SUV in a price bracket that has nothing that compares. In my opinion, you get 70% of a Fortuner for less than 50% of the price. This is where it shines.

Please don't expect anything else, else you will be disappointed!

Ps. Am I tempted to trade my current one in for the new one? YES!
s4ch is offline   (101) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 13:12   #774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GautamJ View Post
The sole person who had earlier claimed New-Gen Scorpio Taillight, has now uploaded a video on it’s illumination.

Well this turned out to be true then
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-img_20220514_131534.jpg  

Last edited by DIV17 : 14th May 2022 at 13:17.
DIV17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 13:29   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
As an owner of a 12 year old Scorpio SLE, I concur with every word you have written. Of course, the criticism isn't all wrong, but those shortcomings aren't going to stop this new Scorpio from selling in more than decent numbers.

Your post captures the gist of whatever I wanted to write on this thread (but was too lazy to do so). Well done!

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 14th May 2022 at 13:47.
comfortablynumb is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 13:32   #776
BHPian

Quote:
It really cracks me up to see everyone being so critical of the design of the new Scorpio as well as being so unsure whether this is going to slot in above or below the XUV7OO.

I have driven more than 2L KM in a brand new 2005 Scorpio CRDe. I am now a current gen Scorpio owner, bought new in 2016, top end automatic. So I think I am pretty qualified to say the following:
  • Yes the new Scorpio's design does tend to border on funky and is not 100% clean, but when has any Scorpio design been 100% clean? This is Mahindra's design language and this is what they are going to do. Either way, whatever you say, even with the funkiest of designs it is going to be a runaway success due to it being serious VFM.
  • Talking about VFM, I bought my Scorpio for 16L on the road. What else could I have got at that time in this price range, which matches in terms of space, reliability, comfort and most importantly, go anywhere ability? There is absolutely NOTHING in the price range that even comes close if this is what you are looking for. For goodness sake, a top end i20 N-Line is almost the same price today. I am not comparing the two, but if you are looking for a proper SUV in this price range then this is your only option. It is SERIOUS VFM. So it's pretty obvious that it is going to slot in below the XUV7OO, not even a doubt about this.
  • My 2.2 MHawk has the old tune, think it is 120BHP or so. While it is not going to win any drag races, the torque is more than sufficient and gets me up to more than comfortable speeds as quickly as I expect. So 140/150BHP in the new Scorpio is going to be very pleasant to drive. This is no X5 so lets not expect it to be as fast as one.
Basically what I am trying to say is, understand the Scorpio for what it is. It is not a Fortuner. It is not a baby Endeavour. What it is, is a solid, VFM SUV in a price bracket that has nothing that compares. In my opinion, you get 70% of a Fortuner for less than 50% of the price. This is where it shines.

Ps. Am I tempted to trade my current one in for the new one? YES!
I second this to core. I too have old gen VLX 4x4 AT and the latest S10 AT 4x2 2016 year model. The 120 hp AT can reach silly speeds, too quick; and in-speed acceleration is also very good. I could climb to 110 from 80 within few seconds (for quick overtake) and then climb down to 80.
The practicality on offer for Indian roads is unmatched. It can go off road, jump dividers during those long NH8 jams, give decent features like cruise control, 5-wheel TPMS, 6 speed AT, the gem m-Hawk 2.2, touchscreen infotainment all under 16 lakhs on road is VFM. Mine is on 265/65 R17(Apterra AT2) and it looks so cool. If you ask me, honestly, nothing else will do.
Posting a pic with 265/65 R17 tyres:
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-d0113ecc22874d5398fccd48d468c3f9.jpg

Few noteworthy trips done:
Delhi - Jammu - Delhi in 1 Day
Bhopal - Delhi in 1 Day
Delhi - Leh 2 days
Still did not break a sweat.

60-70% People who would buy the next gen Scorpio would be those who already have had one in the past.

Last edited by purohitanuj : 14th May 2022 at 13:45.
purohitanuj is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 13:40   #777
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Much needed post to balance this thread.

This trend is not limited to the new Scorpio though. Almost all Mahindra threads take the same trajectory - XUV 5OO, 7OO, the new Thar etc for examples. All these threads have seen a lot of criticism leading up to the launch, ending in a lot of appreciation and bookings afterwards.

Design is not a Mahindra strength (In fact, it's their major weakness!). Their strengths will start to show once closer to the launch.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 13:54   #778

I like the front end a lot, looks classy , I wonder what the rear would look like if we have the option of putting an extra wheel.

Besides that, does anyone have any idea about its pricing?

Thanks in advance
Old 14th May 2022, 14:33   #779
BHPian

Market hopefully wont reject this car just for the tailgate which opens sideways. It is a great touch for enthusiasts (I too personally like it) when they see it as SUV-ish, but in practicality It doesn't appeal to many people.
Old 14th May 2022, 14:45   #780
Distinguished - BHPian

This clearly demonstrates that Prathap Bose has not been able to bring his mark yet - would have expected he would have averted least some part of the disastrous side profile and lines of the new Scorpio. He has had a good part of a year on board M&M and should have refused to sign off this design.

The front end is just about acceptable. Too much Chrome though! Wish they had used the more elegant and thinner brushed silver inserts from the XUV700 for the vertical slats instead of thick chrome elements! Also they could have done away with the horizontal chrome bar on top.

The side profile is just bad. Too many angular elements at the bottom. The chrome swooping up at the base of the C Pillar in an arc makes for a very bad contrast with the straight lines further along. It does not even seem to bend in line with the curve of the body frame and seems have difficulty aligning! These elements increase the sense of length and makes what should be a proper butch SUV it look like a sleepy minivan. The tops part of the windows look raw and unfinished with all that black plastic! Hopefully this is a pre-production thing.

The rear has just simply too much metal and looks like a barn door! They could have broken the monotony with some piano black Horizontal elements. It also accentuates the disproportionate height of the Scorpio. This is one vehicle that I think will end up looking long (like a bigger Carens) and narrow (like a giant Omni)

All in all, a half-ass job in my view. Same old M&M way of taking design/visual bits from various competitor's designs that they think are popular with the Aam Junta and throwing them all together randomly into a bin, and then sticking them all over the car. I must say the XUV 700 was a better effort, they kept the random bits to a minimum and other than the walrus-tooth headlamp extensions, there weren't too many hideous bits.

Thank god they could not ruin the Thar this way as the the brief to the designers was to strictly stick to making a Desi Wrangler and only mess with the grill.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 14th May 2022 at 14:52.
84.monsoon is offline   (17) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks