Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2022, 13:12   #811
sbm
BHPian

re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddarth_Ramani View Post
Guys the recent spy pics on factory floor is for sure, intentional leak. It is distorted. Being a boxy SUV, the effect isn't much pronounced. They are doing what they did with XUV, leak a distorted image and then create a buzz. When the final product launches, let everyone go gaga. Don't believe me? See for yourself...Attachment 2308069
Attachment 2308070
There is no camera today that could capture these horrible pics.
Bhpians or enthusiasts for that matter are a small minority. The majority of buyers get to know about upcoming cars from news feeds and youtube and are not interested in discussions. Most people follow see the car, like it, book it, buy it routine. Is Mahindra playing these games for us bhpian? Makes me feel good.
sbm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 13:34   #812
BHPian

Perhaps they should retain the old Scorpio, introduce the Scorpio Getaway, add stronger engines (200Bhp engine from XUV?) and then discontinue the Bolero range. Part of me can’t help but think this would be perfect, almost as an LC79 for India. The new Scorpio could retain the Scorpio name, and perhaps the old one could be renamed the ‘Scorpio Classic’. Just a thought.
Old 16th May 2022, 16:08   #813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenic View Post
Perhaps they should retain the old Scorpio, introduce the Scorpio Getaway, add stronger engines (200Bhp engine from XUV?) and then discontinue the Bolero range.
Bolero brings significant volumes to Mahindra and is very popular in rural India. So, it will be the last one Mahindra can drop. Its mostly clear now that the existing Scorpio will be continue to co-exist. I believe Mahindra will prune the existing range of XUV7OO by axing the entry level variants and they will slot the new Scorpio over there. So, there will be some overlap b/w Bolero & Existing Scorpio, Existing Scorpio & New Scorpio, New Scorpio and XUV7OO. The only challenge I see here is the potential positioning of XUV500 (after refresh). Its a problem of plenty and its always a nice problem to have - I feel Mahindra is getting into a sweet spot.
Old 16th May 2022, 16:50   #814
BHPian

Got these interior pics from a page on Instagram!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdL_oAMs...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-whatsapp-image-20220516-4.39.35-pm-1.jpeg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-whatsapp-image-20220516-4.39.35-pm-2.jpeg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-whatsapp-image-20220516-4.39.35-pm-3.jpeg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-whatsapp-image-20220516-4.39.35-pm-4.jpeg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-whatsapp-image-20220516-4.39.35-pm-5.jpeg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-whatsapp-image-20220516-4.39.35-pm-6.jpeg

The captain seats look comfortable!
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-whatsapp-image-20220516-4.39.35-pm-7.jpeg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-whatsapp-image-20220516-4.39.35-pm-8.jpeg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-whatsapp-image-20220516-4.39.35-pm-9.jpeg

Looks as if the trademark feature of no boot space with all seats up, is a trademark of the Scorpio!
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-whatsapp-image-20220516-4.39.35-pm.jpeg

Regards,
Powertrain

Last edited by powertrain : 16th May 2022 at 16:52.
powertrain is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 17:05   #815
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio Petrol to get 4x4 option

Mahindra has kicked off its teaser campaign for the next-generation Scorpio as it prepares for the launch. The SUV is expected to be offered with petrol and diesel engine options and as per the latest reports, 4x4 will be available with both powertrains.

Name:  Screenshot_20220514081015_1.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  66.7 KB

Besides the 2.2-litre diesel engine, the Scorpio is also likely to borrow the 2.0-litre mStallion turbo-petrol engine from the XUV700 and Thar. This engine develops 197 BHP and 380 Nm. Both engines will be offered with a 6-speed manual transmission, while a 6-speed automatic is an option.

Name:  Screenshot_20220514081019_1.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  60.1 KB

We recently got our first look at the new Scorpio thanks to a set of leaked images. The SUV will be larger than the outgoing model and features a completely new design. It gets a new radiator grille with twin-pod headlamps on either side and tail lamp clusters inspired by Volvos. The Scorpio retains the side-hinged tailgate.

The next-generation Mahindra Scorpio is expected to be launched in June 2022.

Source: Cardekho
TusharK is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 18:32   #816
Senior - BHPian

Amidst the many, am sharing my semi-formed views on the upcoming Z101.
  1. RC Bhargava of Maruti had effectively said long back when Maruti was set to lose the dominance it had over the market, that they will introduce many small cars to give choice to the customer from within the Maruti stables. While they may compete with each other, it would help keep the customer with Maruti.

One can expect something similar from Mahindra. To have overlapping products at competing price points, but having other differentiating characteristics.
  2. One can expect the upcoming Scorpio (Sting?) to sit between the XUV700 and the Bolero/Neo. Something not as sophisticated as the former, while still having the ruggedness of the latter.
  3. Any expectations of it sitting above the XUV700 or as a replacement to the Alturas should be gone with the "spy" pictures revealing the rear end of the vehicle. I wonder if Mahindra could be using T-Bhp for expectation management; or at least as a barometer of future expectations of consumers.

Much talk of it being compared to the Alturas, and the above "spy" pics get "released"?!!
  4. That said, I would not make serious assumptions how good or bad it would look based the pictures of a semi-formed design. Some cars look so different just with a colour change (dual tone too), some added elements and alloys. When a customisation studio can make a huge change in looks, why should one form serious opinions based on a pre-release and incomplete car's looks?
  5. I'd expect moderately high power figures, 140Bhp or so, maybe; with high torque, say about 350Nm would allow it that space between Bolero and XUV700. Practical easy overtakes on highways, requisite torque for poor rural/interior roads, yet not challenging the outright performance and top end of the XUV700.
  6. Target segment:
    • Abuse friendly vehicle to handle poor roads and highways and be acceptably city-friendly.
    • Easy pocket friendly repairs across the country.
    • Ability to carry more passengers even if in a bit less comfort, as an affluent rural/semi-rural fellow might want; and an urbanite who often travels on poor roads might happily settle for.
    • Though good finish and sophistication would be desired, I don't see that being a design priority over the above points, so expect moderate interiors and finish
    • With learnings from XUV700, incorporating some of the nifty features into higher variants also makes sense. It might eat a bit into the lower variants of the XUV700 (those customers remain with Mahindra - a-la-RC Bhargava), it would attract some from competitors.
  7. Not sure about the wheelbase. I would've guessed about 2700 to 2750, but the whole D-Segment thing makes me wonder if they would go for bigger, say up to 2800mm (XUV is 2750, Fortuner is 2745, Kia Carens is 2780). 2800 would allow more space on the second row, but would become more serious competition to the XUV700 than might be comfortable, so I'm inclined towards the former. The latter would make it a more interesting proposition, however, and might also attract a segment of those who aspire for a Fortuner (or did for an Endeavour) but find the spend unacceptable.
  8. Another thought: They just might want it to also tap into buyers who like the Innova, but find it overpriced - overlapping partly with the segment between the Carens and Innova. This is a valid space for them to look into. A vehicle not built for performance, but practicality, with features added to make it more appealing - it would be an interesting VFM proposition for them. Highway focused people mover with a bit of the Stingy-Swag, possibly even with some bragging rights.
I really expect an abuse friendly practical vehicle which is surely not boring and has presence to appeal to the traditional Scorpio buyer, adding some creature comforts - to the extent of easy and cheap ownership for it's size allow. A grown up and somewhat glamourized Scorpio, not an Alturas replacement.

PS: Pardon me if parts are repeated, as I have only been able to see parts of this huge thread.

Last edited by Poitive : 16th May 2022 at 18:51. Reason: Typo
Poitive is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 19:31   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Basically what I am trying to say is, understand the Scorpio for what it is. It is not a Fortuner. It is not a baby Endeavour. What it is, is a solid, VFM SUV in a price bracket that has nothing that compares. In my opinion, you get 70% of a Fortuner for less than 50% of the price. This is where it shines.

Please don't expect anything else, else you will be disappointed!

No body wants Scorpio to be perfect or like a fortuner,

but i disagree with this "Please don't expect anything else,"
Scorpio Badge carry a lot of expectation, basically this is the car when launched made us proud, it was head turner, the looks the road presence of scorpio was not common those days even for non Indian auto manufacturers,

It was a special car in the Indian auto set up which made SUV/UV segment non commercial (Sumo, Trax, Marshall never seemed like a car you will buy for family)

I remember i was 14/15 years old and a friend of my uncle dropped us to railway station on scorpio, I said "mujhe bade hoke ye gaadi chaiye"

My Duster is 8 years old and now I am looking forward to scorpio with a lot of expectations

Last edited by Aditya : 16th May 2022 at 20:57. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Asoon is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 19:43   #818
BHPian

Why remove the camouflage, O Mahindra! The car looks like a potpourri of designs lifted from various cars, specially Gloster and XC 90.The original Scorpio had a certain butch look which helped it gain a cult following. The new one looks a bit confused about what it wants to look like 😜
TheBigV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 21:10   #819
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigV View Post
The car looks like a potpourri of designs lifted from various cars, specially Gloster and XC 90.
The funniest part of the design is the speaker placements ! Soooo Taxi-ish !

but then, may be Mahindra adapted my old DIY:

My good ol' Sumo Victa, the setup described here (Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Turbo).
condor is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 21:27   #820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The funniest part of the design is the speaker placements ! Soooo Taxi-ish !
Somewhere they have to place it right. You know where the rear ones are on the current gen? on the tail door. If there is full load luggage, then the speakers get jammed to the luggage and not sure if any output comes out of that. Now this is much better than that.

On another note: Two salient features missing in the new one, which would have instantly resembled Scorpio gene beyond any doubt - Bonnet scoop and the big bold Scorpio text on the rear passenger door on both sides. Not sure what made M to get rid of those.
Old 16th May 2022, 21:37   #821
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Two salient features missing in the new one, which would have instantly resembled Scorpio gene beyond any doubt - Bonnet scoop and the big bold Scorpio text..
If they give the Bonnet scoop in this version itself, then what will the next /facelift have new ?

And reg the Scorpio name - isnt this supposed to be a different model, with the old Scorpio being sold alongside ?
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 22:28   #822
BHPian

I see two features that I am not a big fan of in an SUV like this. 1. Second row Captain's chairs and 2. absolutely no space behind the third row. Hopefully, there will be a version with second row bench seats and an extended wheelbase version. One can always dream right?
Old 16th May 2022, 23:06   #823
Senior - BHPian

To sum it up, I'm disappointed with the overall design especially the rear end. Scorpio is a strong brand just like Safari hence the expectations.

Looking at the below pricing, I wonder where M&M will place it. Another Mahindra SUV starting at 16 big ones on-road in Pune? Any guesses?

Pricing details from carwale.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-mahindra.jpg  

HammerHead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 23:11   #824
BHPian

I am very surprised by the reactions after the leaked pics. I have seen the caumoflaged vehicle quite a few times on Chennai roads and it looks very well proportioned and imposing.

Probably the absence of roof rails in the leaked pics makes the members feel the vehicle to be disproportionate with its 'butch' looks missing. Rest assured, in the production spec version, with the roof rails, the vehicle will look as butch or better than the outgoing model.

The tailgate will very definitely have a piano black strip connecting the tail lamps, just below the glass area, to reduce the visual bulk. This, with a mandatory chrome strip below the Mahindra logo, will make the tailgate much more SUVish. Also, we havent yet seen the rear spoiler in these pics. That too will add to the 'SUV' looks.

Yes. Scorpio will not have luggage space with all 7 seats up. That is a given. If you need a people mover, u can purchase an Innova. Scorpio is basically a 'go anywhere' 5+2 seater and not a 7 seater for long trips. If the cabin is made any longer, the rear overhang will increase and hence the departure angle will suffer, or the wheelbase will need to be increased, making it a pain to drive inside cities, particularly while taking U turns.

Fortuner (2000 per month @ appx Rs 35 lacs ex showroom) may be a more premium brand, but brand Scorpio makes more money per month (6000 per month @ appx Rs 16 lacs ex showroom). Mahindra is not foolish to make the Scorpio longer by 15-20 cms to provide some boot space, and thereby killing the brand altogether. In those dimensions, the Scorpio will at the most, sell not more than 2500-3000 copies per month, as it will become too cumbersome to drive in cities.

Last edited by Geta : 16th May 2022 at 23:27.
Geta is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 00:08   #825
BANNED

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 17th May 2022 at 07:06.
johnjojo08 is offline   Received Infraction
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks