Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2022, 18:10   #886
BHPian

re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Wait what? This was my initial reaction after seeing the title. Why did they go with N? Isn't it trademarked by Hyundai?. Besides Scorpion would have been better, but I guess they want to keep the 'O' in the end. But what about Thar and Alturas. Honestly Mahindra is like a confused 5 year old kid in a candy store.

It looks good, nothing exciting. Just a proper utilitarian with imposing charisma. Wish it all the best. It's all about pricing now.
Siddarth_Ramani is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 18:12   #887

Here is the complete video

I was eager to see the rear end of this new Scorpio N but it is not visible in the advertisement as well.
Cool-Shine is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 18:13   #888
BHPian

Really like what I see. The front is excellent. Rear 1/3rd is not maintaining that same vibe but, dare I say is not bad. To me, this looks like a matured version of the older Scorpio that has grown up now. Has that whole Land Cruiser-like thing going on (more prominent on the insides) but obviously in Mahindra's own design language which is more often controversial.

In the end, if all other things check out and this does not burn a hole in my tattered pants, then they have a customer in me.
ralto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 18:21   #889
Senior - BHPian

Not a single picture of back, Is Mahindra not confident how it looks? From front, looks good to me if not great.

Last edited by PrideRed : 20th May 2022 at 18:30.
PrideRed is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 18:21   #890
e46
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio (Codenamed: Z101) caught testing

Hmm, so the Baap is out.

Here is what I feel - Front, front 3/4, profile are ok lookwise. However, where it fails miserably is the rear. Mahindra itself knows about it and hasn't released a single pic from that angle.

It's a Xylo reincarnated from backside. A proper MUV stance.
e46 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 18:25   #891
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio (Codenamed: Z101) caught testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Amidst the many, am sharing my semi-formed views on the upcoming Z101.
7. Not sure about the wheelbase. I would've guessed about 2700 to 2750, but the whole D-Segment thing makes me wonder if they would go for bigger, say up to 2800mm (XUV is 2750, Fortuner is 2745, Kia Carens is 2780). 2800 would allow more space on the second row, but would become more serious competition to the XUV700 than might be comfortable, so I'm inclined towards the former. The latter would make it a more interesting proposition, however, and might also attract a segment of those who aspire for a Fortuner (or did for an Endeavour) but find the spend unacceptable.
- After seeing the pictures, it seems more like the latter. A longer wheelbase than the XUV700. The Overhangs seem smaller. Considering the inside of the 700, length wise, isn't particularly spacious, to have the 'Big Daddy' have space and overall length to justify the name, a longer wheelbase is indicated. It might well be over 2800mm; even significantly. Makes it an interesting proposition, if so.

Makes me think of this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
8. Another thought: They just might want it to also tap into buyers who like the Innova, but find it overpriced - overlapping partly with the segment between the Carens and Innova. This is a valid space for them to look into. A vehicle not built for performance, but practicality, with features added to make it more appealing - it would be an interesting VFM proposition for them. Highway focused people mover with a bit of the Stingy-Swag, possibly even with some bragging rights.
- With a sliding second row, it could have massive legroom in the second row.

- Based on visual proportions, if the wheelbase actually is around 2800mm or more, it could well be taller than the XUV700.

- With the roofline not sloping down as it does in the XUV700, and possibly more height of glass area, it might feel more airy in the second and third row.

- From the side, it looks way more proportional than the Jeep Meridian. The Meridian almost looks like the picture has been stretched! A more aggressive front could have looked more apt on the Bichoo (Scorpion) I actually like the look of the side, and love that 'sting' between the C and D pillars.

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-jeep-meridian-side-01.jpg
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-scorpion-front_side-view-01.jpg
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-2021mahindraxuv70002.jpg
(Pic sources: threads on T-Bhp)

Pictures can be misleading, however, so let us wait.

Edit: Just noticed: the sunroof is smaller than the XUV700. More headroom at the rear, perhaps.

Last edited by Poitive : 20th May 2022 at 18:43. Reason: Formatting, added edit, refinement.
Poitive is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 18:35   #892
BHPian

I kind of like how it looks from the front view. A proper boxy SUV and maybe a cheap alternative to Fortuner and Endeavour. I just hope the rear view is manageable and not ugly.

Also hoping that the pricing is within the same range as XUV700 so that people can decide between them as per their choice. I have been holding off XUV700 booking just for an idea about the drive and features of ScorpioN. I don’t mind cutting down on electronics like ADAS if the basics are there, drive is sorted and the engine options are same as XUV700.
Old 20th May 2022, 18:41   #893
BHPian

The TVC is super cringeworthy. Mubarak ho , Baap hua hai....Which agency has Mahindra hired ����
TheBigV is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 18:44   #894
Senior - BHPian

No comments on the looks.
I had apprehension about XUV 7OO's looks at the launch time - then they released the prices and I suddenly fell in love with the looks.

Last edited by amol4184 : 20th May 2022 at 18:51.
amol4184 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 18:48   #895
Senior - BHPian

A nice modern evolution of the much loved and widely recognised Scorpio looks. I like how the Scorpion still retains the beefy old school SUV charm, which is a rarity in modern SUVs. Big and handsome just how 99% of the Indian buyers like it.

If Mahindra go for their traditional gobsmacking introductory prices, expect quite a few current MPV bookings to get cancelled!
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 18:49   #896
BHPian

Looks like a grown up Scorpio. I think the design team wanted to retain the familiar vibes so that current gen owners will like it and hopefully upgrade.

So by retaining the earlier model they have given a hint on the pricing position.
Old 20th May 2022, 18:53   #897

What's with new-age Mahindras with the weird-looking rear designs?

It's like those times when you as a kid went to a drawing competition and started drawing something really good and by the time you realized that 75% of the time limit was over and you still had to finish the rest of the drawing - so you just want to finish it somehow and complete it haphazardly. The same look like with these new-age designs - the front looks acceptable and by the time you come to the rear it's like - what is this?! (at least that is what it seems from these pictures and would be very happy to be proven wrong).

IMO what I feel looks odd in this picture is:
1) The glass areas are too big for modern-day designs and we are used to seeing rising shoulder lines and probably smaller glass areas in the second and third rows in comparison to the front.

2) Famous Mahindra kink on the rear doors (Mahindra seems to have a fascination for these rear door kinks)

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-screenshot_20220520165555_youtube.jpg
BoxBox is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 18:55   #898
sbm
BHPian

The main question is, will the Scorpion be able to provide what the current Scorpio lacks i.e. a car like drive comfort and a set of modern features. If it does, why would it be priced below the XUV700? It's not like BOF vehicles are inherently cheaper than monocoque ones, or is it so?
sbm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 18:56   #899
BHPian

As a previous gen scorpio owner, in-terms of looks, it was all about the boxy design and clean lines that worked for me. The ScorpioN however has curves which is not my types. Even the front grille although is simple, yet doesn't ooze the macho looks the previous gen had.

However, I've always wanted to own BoF, RWD, 4x4 with decent last row space (family of 7). So I might exchange my 2018 XUV W11 for this if the last row can seat 2 adults in decent comfort.
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 18:56   #900
BHPian

At first look Scorpio N looked like bolero neo with new headlights.

Design takes some time to grow on us. Nothing revolutionary in terms of design, hope Mahindra surprises with good engines and build quality.
VALLURIS is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks