Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2022, 19:01   #901
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio (Codenamed: Z101) caught testing. Now revealed as Scorpio-N!

This looks interesting. Much better than what I thought of the XUV700 at launch (it's grown on me now). The black vinyls on the door frame look particularly interesting.

I'm glad they kept the Scorpio name while adding a nice touch to it. As one would put it, "the right combination of familiarity and novelty".

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Since Hyundai is hesitant about proper N cars, Mahindra took the onus on themselves and launched an N car.
Let's hope this doesn't turn into another Mahindra-Hyundai name war.
ron178 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 19:05   #902

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddarth_Ramani View Post
Wait what? This was my initial reaction after seeing the title. Why did they go with N? Isn't it trademarked by Hyundai?. Besides Scorpion would have been better, but I guess they want to keep the 'O' in the end. But what about Thar and Alturas. Honestly Mahindra is like a confused 5 year old kid in a candy store.

It looks good, nothing exciting. Just a proper utilitarian with imposing charisma. Wish it all the best. It's all about pricing now.
I think the reason they went with Scorpio N badging is to help people recognise it as a scorpio rather than an all new model because people may not relate to it as a Scorpio. Whereas N badging just makes it look a different version of Scorpio. Most of the sales of Scorpio is in tier-2 & 3 towns and people there wouldn't relate to Scorpio as much as they do to Scorpio N
Batman_ab is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 19:09   #903
BHPian

This design is not path breaking but in my opinion is going to age well. Personally I feel the front & overall stance looks better than the Harrier, Creta which it will kind of compete with.
CafeRacer16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 20:11   #904
BHPian

What is the segmentation strategy here, am not able to figure out. A customer walks to a dealership, and sees the XUV700 and ScorpioN.

These vehicles look similar, prices are likely to be similar and possibly appeal to very similar demographics. Monocoque and BoF, sure. But, is that differentiation sufficient for a new product?

Other manufacturers extend their 5-seaters to tap into the 7-seater market. Mahindra creates 2 inherently different products for the same/similar market. And XUV500 is on the way.

As I said, am confused.
dust-n-bones is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 20:13   #905
BHPian

Glad to see that they have kept it simple but a few observations here:

1. The front design doesn't appear cohesive with the upper lines of the grille and headlights meeting the bonnet. Can't they try something like old Mercs -bonnet connected to grilles.
2. The headlights are way too small and the tapering sides ending into the fenders amplify the feeling. This has toned down the macho appeal to a large extent.
3. The extensive body cladding which the older one had could have been replaced by bulged wheel arches just as the current gen fortuner did.
4. I think the rear 'will' have to be a compromise for that side opening rear door.
H Karter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 20:17   #906
BHPian

Looks great for most parts.

Did anyone get a good angle on the rear? I don't know why, but I'm getting Xylo vibes looking at the rear from one of the picture above. Hope nothing too disappointing there in flesh
Old 20th May 2022, 20:17   #907
Senior - BHPian

Is it only me or do others also notice an uncanny resemblance to the Alturas G4?

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-sn.jpg

Whatever it is, I like the looks, at least what is visible in the video and pictures. Comes out as a more "mature" version of the current generation Scorpio. The front looks aggressive without trying too hard. The double-barrel LED headlamps look neat, coupled with the "sting" shaped DRL/fog-lamp combo. Looks like they deliberately avoided shots of the rear, for obvious reasons All in all, looks promising. Mahindra, here, might have a hat-trick at hand.
cool_dube is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 20:20   #908
Senior - BHPian

Why not Scorpio D (D for Daddy) Mahindra?

This looks interesting and good looking car. Still I reserve my opinion till I see it in person. Professional photographs are always misleading. Overall car looks big but not a big as Fortuner or their own Alturas, more or less similar to current one. I am sure this will be feature rich car. They will surely price this higher than current one. My guess is it will start around 20-21 Lakhs OTR for base model.

I am looking forward to buying Mahindra SUV in next 2 years. This looks strong contender over XUV700 for now.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 20:21   #909
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Karter View Post
1. The front design doesn't appear cohesive with the upper lines of the grille and headlights meeting the bonnet. Can't they try something like old Mercs -bonnet connected to grilles.
2. The headlights are way too small and the tapering sides ending into the fenders amplify the feeling. This has toned down the macho appeal to a large extent.
3. The extensive body cladding which the older one had could have been replaced by bulged wheel arches just as the current gen fortuner did.
We can forgive Mahindra for these small things and forget the rear design for a while. From a company who came up with the contraptions like Quanto, NuvoSport, Verito Vibe and KUV100, this is a superb design.

Name:  2012MahindraQuanto.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  27.7 KBName:  kuv.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  18.8 KBName:  20220520_173704.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  70.7 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Karter View Post
4. I think the rear 'will' have to be a compromise for that side opening rear door.
They still can design it better by adding a tailgate-mounted spare wheel. See what Ford has done with Ecosport.

Name:  51BwcBSj8GL.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  67.3 KB

Last edited by romeomidhun : 20th May 2022 at 20:50.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 20:31   #910
srh
BHPian

Bring it on Mahindra. Great effort which will further entrench them as the leading mass market passenger UV maker.

- Proper BOF RWD SUV which is most likely going to abuse friendly and with 4x4 variants as well
- Upgraded interiors and most likely loaded with latest features
- Decent design. Good stance, small overhangs, proportionate height/ length/ width
- Hopefully the ride and handling is leagues ahead of the current version
- Recent Mahindra powertrains have anyways been class leading
- And priced rationally unlike the Toyotas
srh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 20:48   #911
BHPian

Well, looks are subjective. Also, the car in flesh may look better than in the pictures. However, going by pics above, it looks stylish yet imposing from front...but, but....rare could have been better. I assume Mr. Pratap Bose would have approved this design...?
VikramCS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 20:50   #912
Senior - BHPian

I liked the design. Much better than XUV700, which was downright ugly. The rear is not handsome, but I won't care about it as long as the departure angles are sensible. Not impressed with the name, though. It could have been just the Scorpio 2nd gen. I don't understand how that N part adds any value.

I am even more hopeful that this can match Fortuner's capability and features. I am expecting 90 percent of Fortuner at 60 percent of the price. This reveal has increased my confidence in Mahindra achieving this.
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 21:29   #913

The only think is can ask for, is 4x4 as an option in lower variants. I think that would result in a healthy increase to sales figures, unless mahindra gets greedy and only offers it in the top variants which is more likely
parrymx5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 21:43   #914
BHPian

With Scorpio(n), Mahindra has hit the ball out of the park. I like boxy designs (I loved Sumo Grande, yes, I did).

I am sure the pricing will be competitive as well.

Take a bow Mahindra!
Old 20th May 2022, 22:19   #915
BHPian

Rather than Scorpio-N, they could have just named Scorpio or Scorpion as the current generation will be named as Scorpio Classic. Scorpio-N sounds like a different version than the regular one, just like Fiesta S over Fiesta, i20 N-Line over i20, Octavia RS over Octavia.
Phukan23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks