Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2022, 13:39   #1066

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
How are we sure this is the new Mahindra Scorpio?

Why are they testing the prototype in Tamil Nadu where they don't have a manufacturing facility?
Mahindra Research valley is in Chennai outskirts that's why. Entire design and testing teams are located here. They have built a 400 acre test facility which includes state of the art race track with super banking on turns which allows them to test speeds of 200 mph. This is where they breed these new species...Thar, XUV 700 and now ScorpioN
Diesel4959 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 13:48   #1067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Demand / Supply situation.

When the need is for a vehicle that takes you to places other vehicles cannot in a reliable manner and most importantly - take you back home - in a hurry.

I would choose that capability over NCAP rating anyday and so does everyone else who needs something like it. There is good reason this vehicle has been on sale for 20 years, along with its smaller cousin, Bolero.

Similarly there are specific markets that exists throughout India which urbanites have no clue about - Force Toofan has a market which only that vehicle can cater to, Old DI jeeps have a market, Old Marshalls , there is even a market for Xylo which Innova cannot fulfil, it simply will be too expensive to run an Innova in such places but a Xylo would do just fine.

Safety isn't something that is exclusive to crash worthiness but agree the drama is a good seller of that point , some so called safe vehicles are very prone to crashes due to premature wear of bits that keep the vehicle on the road.
All the other vehicles you have mentioned above were priced sensibly for such markets and the vehicle in question costs 17.5 lacs for base model & 23.5 lacs for top model currently in my city. Anyway, I would refrain from making any statements further on this because of obvious reasons

I respect your choice of vehicle which takes you home - in a hurry. But, what I really think is that we should not buy vehicle - in a hurry

peace
sulliavi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 15:54   #1068
BHPian

Well, i have no intention to nitpick, or ridicule here - it's purely a personal view: the central console looks very busy - too many buttons/switches...perhaps it can be made more compact while still retaining all functionalities. Again, many buyers may like this...

Will M&M also will GNCAP test this vehicle and provide results by launch-date? As far as i'm aware, Harrier/Safari currently do not have official rating from GNCAP. If Mahindra manages to provide it proactively upfront, it'll win them more brownie points especially for the new model, and, can possibly attract more buyers.
VikramCS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 16:17   #1069
Senior - BHPian

Car is absolutely a big step-up in terms of its interiors and overall look & feel from the pictures. This is a run-away hattrick hit for Mahindra, eyes closed!

But, my biggest concern is - is it the right time for Mahindra to launch when they’re severely hit by the supply-chain shortage?! This is their 3rd launch after Thar & 7OO. Both cars have been plagued. With this 3rd launch, I believe they’ll cut down on several features across Thar, 7OO to help produce Scorpio-N isn’t it and vice versa!

The only advantage or a disadvantage is going to be in terms of showing off the number of booking backlogs the company will have to cater to like they’re doing with 7OO which I believe is outrageous for a customer to wait for 1 or 2 years!
Old 31st May 2022, 17:03   #1070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post

But, my biggest concern is - is it the right time for Mahindra to launch when they’re severely hit by the supply-chain shortage?! This is their 3rd launch after Thar & 7OO. Both cars have been plagued. With this 3rd launch, I believe they’ll cut down on several features across Thar, 7OO to help produce Scorpio-N isn’t it and vice versa!

The only advantage or a disadvantage is going to be in terms of showing off the number of booking backlogs the company will have to cater to like they’re doing with 7OO which I believe is outrageous for a customer to wait for 1 or 2 years!
You have the answer - with deliveries not keeping pace with the rate of new bookings, the only way to drown out the din of delayed delivery is new launch. Did you notice that once XUV7OO was launched, the bad press of Thar backlog took a backseat from mainstream media. Unless the supply chain situation improves, people will probably want to queue up for a new car hoping they are up in the queue since it's a new launch. By now, we all know someone who is looking to buy a car and is willing to go beyond their original choice if the delivery is sooner. The excitement of this launch should carry Mahindra over into the year 2023 probably.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 17:27   #1071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikramCS View Post
Well, i have no intention to nitpick, or ridicule here - it's purely a personal view: the central console looks very busy - too many buttons/switches...perhaps it can be made more compact while still retaining all functionalities. Again, many buyers may like this...
Yes! like me. While I am not sure about the size of buttons, I am just happy they didn't fall prey to touchscreen this and touchscreen that trend and kept as many physical button as possible. Who needs to take eyes off the road to reduce volume? We don't know what trim level it is but I sure hope they keep all the buttons on top trim too.
amol4184 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 18:41   #1072
BHPian

Found a similar tail light of ScorpioN on a Renault/Dacia car.
Uncanny resemblance.

@ 5:20
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-screenshot_20220516180543.jpg  

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-screenshot_20220516180513.jpg  

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-screenshot_20220516180518.jpg  

Last edited by fazalmirza : 31st May 2022 at 18:43.
fazalmirza is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 18:43   #1073
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel4959 View Post
Mahindra Research valley is in Chennai outskirts that's why. Entire design and testing teams are located here. They have built a 400 acre test facility which includes state of the art race track with super banking on turns which allows them to test speeds of 200 mph. This is where they breed these new species...Thar, XUV 700 and now ScorpioN
200 mph? That is easily 320+ kmph.

That’s incredibly ambitious of them!
Dry Ice is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 20:45   #1074
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, i have no intention to nitpick, or ridicule here - it's purely a personal view: the central console looks very busy - too many buttons/switches...perhaps it can be made more compact while still retaining all functionalities. Again, many buyers may like this....
Well. This is a whiff of fresh air!

While everyone is going either Teslavulgar size screen or tablet stuck on dash theme, here we have decent sized inset screen with knobs and buttons galore.
DicKy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 00:54   #1075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Infotainment screen and driver console looks to be picked directly from xuv700 MX model.
Old 1st June 2022, 04:33   #1076
BHPian

How's this rendition of ScorpioN rear?
I'm sure they are holding back the rear reveal for a reason. Probably, they are reading this thread and making last minute changes.

Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-screenshot_2022060104265507_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by fazalmirza : 1st June 2022 at 04:58.
fazalmirza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 09:43   #1077
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalmirza View Post
I'm sure they are holding back the rear reveal for a reason. Probably, they are reading this thread and making last minute changes.

https://Youtu.be/Wr9oKVOKFgw
They for sure are reading the thread, but with trainings going on or about to, media drives planned at end of this month & country wise dispatches, I am not sure they can do much.
Sheel is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 10:40   #1078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will M&M also GNCAP test this vehicle and provide results by launch-date?
The GNCAP's protocol update comes into effect for publications from 1 July 2022 and is much tougher. For example scoring any points for the vehicle-based assessment in child occupant protection requires a three-point belt in the rear centre, which the spy shots indicate the Scorpio N doesn't have. So it's likely results will be published at/before the launch, i.e. against the current protocols. When contacted, Global NCAP's secgen said they are busy with new results for India. NDTV said in April that more Indian cars would be tested soon. I can only imagine they are talking about the Scorpio N.

Last edited by ron178 : 1st June 2022 at 10:41.
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 13:02   #1079
Senior - BHPian

An interesting article from Autocar on Scoprio-N's positioning. Of all the content, this stood out for me:

Quote:
While there will be 4x4 on higher variants of the Scorpio-N, don’t expect the low-range gearbox to feature
Quite disappointing, if this indeed turns out to be the case
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 16:10   #1080

Hello everyone,
I’ve something to ask, if wrong thread please excuse the newbie here.

Imagine walking down a lane with a hungry tummy, all famous food outlets have placed their posters outside with mouthwatering dishes and wallet tempting offers. You are hungry and want to grab a meal at earliest, first dilemma; which franchise to choose from? You chose an outlet with public reviews, past experiences and your tastes of course, you entered the outlets, checked the menu card and decided to go with a food that suits best for your requirement from the breathtaking menu. You look at your spouse and she hints at the prices and the acidity or upset stomach you’ll get the next day. So you give a thought and place a sensible order. Now begins… the wait. People around you are waiting too, obviously you are not alone. And it’s self service so the humbly dressed manager and the bill desk guy don’t bother you anymore as they’ve done their job of getting the money out of your pocket and making you buy their offering.

But the reality behind this is that the kitchen’s are busy and lacking the schedule requirements and the waiters and bill desks are pouring in orders the chefs simply cannot cook in time. You have to wait for more time than expected, you think you made a wrong choice but you already have paid up. What could go wrong here?
Imagine your order number flashes on the screen sometime before dinner time, but you had ordered the food during lunch hours, would you eat it? Would the excitement of the trying out this dish today be still the same?

A buyer right now is facing the same questions and worse plight when it comes to buying a car.
You don’t randomly walk into showrooms checking out cars! You go deliberately when you feel the need of buying one. And I’ll not further elaborate how miserable you become in the long waiting periods expecting your dream set of wheels to arrive.

All this starters for what?
The main course of my post is the guidance I want from expert, amateur, experienced chefs like you.
I want to gift a car to my father.

Issues:
1. His birthday is in July last week, the car has to be his birthday gift.
2. I want him to go safe wherever he goes, safety takes priority and kicks out Korean spices and the Indo-Japanese tinned beans from the recipe.
3. I don’t want him to make random runs to the workshops to get minor niggles and issues fixed, so decently reliable vehicle required.
4. It got to be BIG , he’s lived a humble life and now I want him to be in a car that suits his status quo.
5. He is an inquisitive child and loves to play with technology, so adequately specced vehicle with android auto as mandatory requirement.
6. Has to be tough, these wheels will be visiting the rural regions of India hence the potholes and broken roads have to be at peace with the car, low slung sedans I’m sorry!
7. Sales and service networks: Tier 3 town reduces availability of the essential care the car requires, so brand must have well spread out network.
8. Budget: 30 lakhs. Cannot extend beyond that.

Vehicles already test driven:
1. XUV7OO : All great vehicle, booked the AX7L AWD D AT already, delivery date is 90 weeks away.
That’s XUV 7 O_o for me.
2. Scorpio (now Scorpio Classic) : With the newer avatar knocking at the doorstep as M&M showing us the Scorpio-N the same way Ekta Kapoor introduced a new Mihir Virani in Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi. I have decided to check out the Bichhoo once it launches.
3. Innova Crysta : Well the new one off the shelf shoots my budget in the leg and me in the heart. Advices towards buying the GX or VX variants will be treated like Elaichi in Biriyani.
4. Thar : Mum couldn’t climb into the rear seat, Dad unanimously agreed and Thar was deserted.
5. Harrier/Safari duo: Honestly, good cars, but I cannot convince myself to pour in 15+ lakhs in a Tata. Plus the dealer in my hometown has serious customer-relation issues (personal opinion).
Tata has copied two names to make this duo, and both have disappointed the legacies; (Toyota Harrier and Tata’s very own THE OG Safari) Also I don’t want my Dad’s car creaking and squeaking in few years, he uses cars for 7-10 years so tata bye bye dear Tata cars.

Now I’ll serve the dish to everyone:

Should I wait with the booking of XUV 7O_o or go ahead and risk stinging myself with the Scorpio-N, or should I extend my budget and go for the Innova which Toyota is Innovating for new launch whose timelines are not Crysta clear.

Sorry for the long post but I had to ask.

Happy lunch times to you!

By the way @cool_dube jee, I bought the not so afFord-able Endeavour Sport 2.0 after reading your posts, I figured out that you changed fortune(r) here! But thank you though, Bagheera has clawed 21,000 kms on earth and I’m glad I bought him, thank you. Ownership review coming soon!
desertknight73 is offline   (15) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks