Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2022, 15:21   #1096
sbm
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
I think the ride of BOF has matured a lot. Marrazo is an example of M&M hard work. However, BOF can be heavier & the design too heavy. Test drive XUV700 & ScorpioN before you make decision.
I TDed the XUV700 and didn't feel it any hard to handle than a small car or a small crossover, same thing with the Safari& Harrier. Never had a long drive experience on a BOF barring a short city trip in a Bolero. While the short trip was not sufficient to comment on ride quality, I do loved the loads of torque the Mhawk was churning out at 20-25kmph.
sbm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 15:52   #1097
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm View Post
Can you please breifly tell about the additional running costs associated with BOF cars? Also, is the suspension & ride quality really that bad in BOF compared to monocoque? I haven't driven or owned BOFs but have keen interest in the new ScorpioN, am I going to choose the wrong car here? By the way, my current ride is a Baleno hathchback.
More fuel and as you go fast - even more fuel, bigger tyres, bigger engines needs more consumables, Insurance costs, you tend to abuse them a lot more than other vehicles so added maintenance costs related to that as well. Then the washing guy needs more money, cant park everywhere, harder for people to get inside and out etc.

Ride quality when driven with good body control is better in body on frame vehicles (there are exceptions). Suspension is not attached to the body, nor is the engine, so long drives do not tire people as they are more isolated from harshness of the road. They do however have different dynamics as people are sitting on the first floor
Kosfactor is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 16:10   #1098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I TDed the XUV700 and didn't feel it any hard to handle than a small car or a small crossover, same thing with the Safari& Harrier. Never had a long drive experience on a BOF barring a short city trip in a Bolero. While the short trip was not sufficient to comment on ride quality, I do loved the loads of torque the Mhawk was churning out at 20-25kmph.
As far as my expenses with current Scorpio goes, it is way better than Bolero (non Neo one). The new one is expected to better tuned. It’s almost like improvement in ride quality (moving/ improving) from Xylo to Marazzo. Hence, I had advised so.

I’m buying Safari, but found XUV7OO equally good, eventually the long waiting of latter helped me make decision.
Old 3rd June 2022, 16:22   #1099
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
More fuel and as you go fast - even more fuel, bigger tyres, bigger engines needs more consumables, Insurance costs, you tend to abuse them a lot more than other vehicles so added maintenance costs related to that as well. Then the washing guy needs more money, cant park everywhere, harder for people to get inside and out etc.

Ride quality when driven with good body control is better in body on frame vehicles (there are exceptions). Suspension is not attached to the body, nor is the engine, so long drives do not tire people as they are more isolated from harshness of the road. They do however have different dynamics as people are sitting on the first floor
Suppose a city dweller with 20% highway use is looking for a big SUV, for aspirational purpose, for the command on road, versatility to go over village and broken roads, and he is considering XUV700 and ScorpioN. Let's draw a comparison then. Please correct me if I am wrong because I have zero experience with BOFs and trying to collect as much information as possible before test driving the ScorpioN
1) Both have same 2.2 diesel, so same costs associated with maintenance.
2) Both have same tyre size, so same costs here.
3) ScorpioN has RWD so most probably non independent rear suspension, better ride quality in XUV.
4) For occasional (or probably frequent in future) mountain trips, the RWD would always shine over FWD.
5) More features in ScorpioN at same cost as compared to XUV barring ADAS and pano sunroof
6) Easier availability of ScorpioN if booked at launch.

Considering the above points, what to keep in mind when driving the ScorpioN? I mean what areas to focus on related to the ride etc?
sbm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 16:59   #1100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Suppose a city dweller with 20% highway use is looking for a big SUV, for aspirational purpose, for the command on road, versatility to go over village and broken roads, and he is considering XUV700 and ScorpioN.
A crossover would make more sense. No need to hurry and buy a vehicle, test drive all vehicles in your short list and take a decision. Remember to wait for whatever you liked, it will be worth it. A few months or even a year`s waiting is not as bad as living with a nightmare for 7-8 years afterwards (talking about automobiles here, but its applicable otherwise as well :P)
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 17:01   #1101
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
A crossover would make more sense. No need to hurry and buy a vehicle, test drive all vehicles in your short list and take a decision. Remember to wait for whatever you liked, it will be worth it. A few months or even a year`s waiting is not as bad as living with a nightmare for 7-8 years afterwards (talking about automobiles here, but its applicable otherwise as well :P)
By crossover do you mean XUV700 too or smaller ones like Creta, Seltos etc? I too agree that waiting for the right car is the right approach instead of hurrying.
Old 3rd June 2022, 17:06   #1102
BHPian

A leaked teaser appeared online but got removed instantly due to copyright strikes i guess.

It shows the new scorpio N next to a dining table and showing how like the head chair it’s the most commanding.

And then they claim to be the highest commanding seat in it’s class (is it the d segment?) or the class the scorpio n will actually fight.

Also the first glimpse of the interiors officially.

EDIT The teaser is officially uploaded on mahindra scorpios instagram.

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-11aaa08d27534673bc8ac4dad2e95f08.jpeg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-8e2e52a5c84342dcb49b48aefcf2659a.jpeg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-26d0d3dcb05c44e98fdd85ade879db88.jpeg

Last edited by kushgandhi : 3rd June 2022 at 17:09. Reason: The information changed after posting this
kushgandhi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 17:26   #1103
M35
BHPian

The new design has definitely done justice to the brand Scorpio. Mighty muscular indeed! Clean and boxy!

Name:  Screenshot 20220603 at 5.21.24 PM.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  134.4 KB

Last edited by M35 : 3rd June 2022 at 17:29.
M35 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 19:16   #1104
Senior - BHPian

New Scorpio N best-in-class command seating teaser

Last edited by Venkatesh : 3rd June 2022 at 19:18.
Venkatesh is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 21:18   #1105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulliavi View Post
You have completely misread my message I am not targeting one car here. Its about companies planning to sell old structurally unsafe vehicles in 2022 (even after their new and improved versions are getting launched)
I think the bigger concern is both market leaders ( Maruti and Hyundai/Kia) not doing anything on safety or testing, including their cars based on new platforms.

Both have large export businesses where the cars comply to much more stringent safety standards and equipments.

I think government bodies, consumer forums need to start demanding safety standards comparable to global norms, similar to emission norms.

Most manufacturers today have a top seller with known safety concerns (Harrier twins, Compass and Hector), Poor NCap of Kia/Hyundai CSUVs.

The issue is across the industry.
ashishpotdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 22:37   #1106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I mean what areas to focus on related to the ride etc?
Check the ride comfort. Not the drivers, but of the rear passengers. Get a couple of them there.. ride around, climb on humps, take some turns like how you do in your Polo, you (and they mainly) will understand what a BoF vehicle is. If they give you thumbs up, then you are good to go.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 02:47   #1107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealtoman View Post
My usage as below,
> less than 2000 KM monthly
> 90% within the city

Additionally, one other reason why I am looking for a larger car is because over the years I've felt that smaller cars are being bullied off the road a lot more by larger cars and other vehicles.
Based on usage, I agree with Kosfactor that a smaller vehicle/crossover might be more practical for city use. However, due to reasons for being buiiled or the heart wanting so, no harm in considering for the SUV form factor of it works for you, IMO.

Generally, BoF will be more abuse friendly (which needn't mean that you will abuse it), and also generally more repair friendly (I expect so for the Scorpio).

Generally, unless one gets into more sophisticated suspensions, improving ride would come at the cost of handling. Loosely, if you were to give points for ride+handling, a BoF is likely to score lesser than a Unibody (not talking about NVH), however, why generalize?

I'd say, you should shortlist and test drive the vehicles making sure that they have the correct tyre pressure (an oft overlooked aspect). Let the product do the talking - people experience cars differently.

Consider booking both the Scorpio-N and XUV700, as the cancellation fee etc is a small amount in context. Beating imminent price hikes is more important. For city speeds, the Hector has a wonderful ride (link) Other options in the market too, each bringing their own pluses and minuses, including some nearly forgotten practical sized ones like the Nissan Kicks, which too has a well balanced suspension (link)

Also consider that ride quality can also be improved a bit by changing to softer tyres; or very slight underinflation (say, 2psi), though it affects FE. It would also change the handling a bit, if you're sensitive enough to it.

Would be a good idea to wait out till you can TD the Scorpio-N. A BoF can have a stiffer chassis, which has it's own benifits - maybe Mahindra will surprise us with a superlative offering

Edit: Overinflation and underinflation of tyres should be done with caution, and only in very small amounts, as besides FE, ride, and handling, it is also linked to safety.

Last edited by Poitive : 4th June 2022 at 02:50. Reason: Added Edit.
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 09:33   #1108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertknight73 View Post
Now I’ll serve the dish to everyone:

Should I wait with the booking of XUV 7O_o or go ahead and risk stinging myself with the Scorpio-N, or should I extend my budget and go for the Innova which Toyota is Innovating for new launch whose timelines are not Crysta clear.

Sorry for the long post but I had to ask.
The Scorpio-N is launching only on June 27th and I'm unsure when the bookings will open. Plus, as seen with the XUV700 even if you book on the first day, you might have to wait a few months!
yuvmudapa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 09:57   #1109
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushgandhi View Post
It shows the new scorpio N next to a dining table and showing how like the head chair it’s the most commanding.

And then they claim to be the highest commanding seat in it’s class (is it the d segment?) or the class the scorpio n will actually fight.
The 1st gen Fortuner's bonnet is at my chin level. If ScorpioN can match that or come close to it, I'd be happy.
vredesbyrd is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 13:46   #1110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertknight73 View Post
Should I wait with the booking of XUV 7O_o or go ahead and risk stinging myself with the Scorpio-N, or should I extend my budget and go for the Innova which Toyota is Innovating for new launch whose timelines are not Crysta clear.
I'm in similar boat as yours except, i want to gift next car to myself and i do not have pressing time. I'm ok to wait.

I want safe, no random rattles or workshop visits. Basically fill it & drive it car. I have XUV700 Ax7 White Diesel Auto booking at hand with delivery around March 2023, however I'm not sure if i'll buy Xuv700 or Crysta.

Somehow reliability, trust & overpriced Crysta is taking over feature loaded Xuv700 for me and I'm still in same dilemma as yours. Havent made final decision as yet, but have posted my query over various forums here.

Due to deadline, i think Crysta it is for you, as it will be available by then if you book it now. Do keep us posted whatever you decide & bring home.

Cheers.
woodstock3001 is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks