Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2022, 11:09   #1186
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Scorpio-N is not a 4x4. Apologies for referring it as the same and creating this confusion.

The Scorpio-N is a part-time AWD with 4H & 4L transfer cases. They are enabled via buttons given on either side of the rotary knob for the 4Xplore modes, beside the gear lever.
What you're saying doesn't make any sense. If 4L is there then what else is needed for a 4x4 vehicle? Its usually the AWDs that don't have 4L mode.
fine69 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 11:23   #1187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n13tzsche View Post
Another doubt i have with the AWD and the terrain modes, is it going to be RWD like the current one or FWD?
In deed, it is a RWD and this along with its BoF chassis is one of the most valuable USPs of the ScorpioN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
If I would like to take my canine friend, this set up would be ideal ...
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-238452331_10165378397295527_1517612827319316946_n.jpg
Having ferried around my German Shepherd for most of his life in the 3rd row seat of Scorpio SLE, I would say that he always craved for more air.

It didn't matter even if I kept the blower speed at 4 (after having it fully serviced) or installed an after-market blower in the 3rd row. It just didn't make my canine friend fully content. This is the whole reason I am looking for an upgrade now.

He always wanted to jump over to the second row and sit in front of the A/C vents or would ask for the windows to be rolled down so he could feel that gush-of-wind right on his face.

Forget canines, even people sitting in the car's 3rd row were usually unhappy with the temperature in that section (especially in extreme summer afternoons). Add to it, the limited leg space, the 3rd row was a No Man's Land for most of the trips

And guess what, our newest Pup behaves the same way as our old German Shepherd.

Hope this helps you make a wise choice.
msarunms1987 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 11:35   #1188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Scorpio does not have pure 2H operation ? Is it always running based on on-demand AWD ?
Yes.

The Scorpio-N's part-time AWD system is similar to the 7OO's AWD - it is an always running on-demand AWD. The car detects the road conditions and the AWD kicks in automatically.

Depending on the road conditions ahead, the driver can choose either the High or Low transfers by pressing the related buttons on either side of the 4Xplore rotary knob beside the gear lever.

There is no manual shifter for the H or L transfer cases like the Thar. Always running AWD which detects and kicks in automatically, and then an option to choose between High or Low depending on the conditions being tackled.

Low transfer is present, but the Scorpio-N is not a proper 4x4 per se. It can be called an advanced AWD (birdie insists that it should be called part-time AWD).

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Does the last row seats, fold and tumble or fold and tie away (like Crysta) ?
Last row seats only fold forward. No tumble or tying away functions.

For the last row captain seats variant, the seats fold forward and the gap between them can be covered, similar to the Thar's 2nd row, to convert it into an usable boot.

For the last row bench seat variant, the entire seat folds forward. No split.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I hope this does not mean only capt seats in 2nd row.
I am told that there will be 2nd row bench seat offering in the lower variants. Needs to be verified though.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 8th June 2022 at 11:55. Reason: added.
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 13:02   #1189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Scorpio-N is not a 4x4. Apologies for referring it as the same and creating this confusion.

The Scorpio-N is a part-time AWD with 4H & 4L transfer cases. They are enabled via buttons given on either side of the rotary knob for the 4Xplore modes, beside the gear lever.
This is called 4wd (Gearbox with low range is 4WD and without low range is AWD)
As I had mentioned in my previous post, new Scorpio has rotary knob for this operation. It is an electronic method to engage 4h and 4L (vehicle by default is in 2H mode). There is an electric motor which change gears in transfercase similar to how we change it through a lever.
Underlying GB and TC would most probably be same.
Old scorpio, Bolero GLX had the same mechanism. New fortuner and Isuzu also have the same mechanism.
Shubhendra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 14:01   #1190
BHPian

Off road capabilites video.
Wonder if you guys have seen it.
Mind the volume of the background music.

fazalmirza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 14:13   #1191
Distinguished - BHPian

While the SUV is a great package overall, the touchscreen infotainment does look alike a cheap aftermarket 2015-model tablet (with bezels as wide as the Sahara) stuck on to the dash. Wish M&M had provided a better design here.
Attached Images

84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 14:21   #1192
BHPian

Guys,

Read this info published in tbhp newsletter. It clearly says 4-mode 4x4 system. I don’t think there’s more to speculate after reading this…

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/mahind...eatures-leaked

Coincidentally, this information is shared by RavenAvi only

Last edited by rahulya007 : 8th June 2022 at 14:24.
Old 8th June 2022, 14:25   #1193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
This is called 4wd (Gearbox with low range is 4WD and without low range is AWD)
Yeah, looks like it'd be proper 4x4, why else would they bring a ladder on frame and not give 4x4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
Read this info published in tbhp newsletter. It clearly says 4-mode 4x4 system. I don’t think there’s more to speculate after reading this…
Manufacturers are notorious for writing anything and everything but in this case it seems it'd be a proper low ratio 4x4.
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 14:34   #1194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalmirza View Post
Wonder if you guys have seen it.
Did you check this post:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5331209 (Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N)
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 16:00   #1195
BHPian

That's an ouch moment.
Must have missed this post.

Thanks for pointing out.
Old 8th June 2022, 16:11   #1196
BHPian

Quote:
Yes.

The Scorpio-N's part-time AWD system is similar to the 7OO's AWD - it is an always running on-demand AWD. The car detects the road conditions and the AWD kicks in automatically.
Thanks.
This is very confusing now.

So does it means that the system can lock any of the wheel to transfer power to the other wheels like the Subaru’s “symmetrical” all-wheel?
This raises many questions
  1. What is the default split of power?
  2. Are the rear wheels the preferred-active ones?
  3. MLD was mentioned on the rear axle; How does AWD copes up with an MLD as it (AWD) may have no idea when that lock could kick in?
  4. If the system has all wheel BLD, then question 3 and its sub question is answered.
  5. The Transfer case is lockable?
Old 8th June 2022, 18:04   #1197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Low transfer is present, but the Scorpio-N is not a proper 4x4 per se. It can be called an advanced AWD (birdie insists that it should be called part-time AWD).
So there is no way to mandate a 50:50 torque split between front and rear wheels. The system will decide where the torque should go based on surface. Cars like Fortuner and Thar can mandate 50 percent split when 4H or 4L is on.

I feel this is an unnecessary feature in an otherwise brilliant package. I guess , having the same off road hardware as Thar would have made it too perfect and the engineers wanted to hold back something to make it less perfect.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 20:42   #1198
BHPian

Quote:

Depending on the road conditions ahead, the driver can choose either the High or Low transfers by pressing the related buttons on either side of the 4Xplore rotary knob beside the gear lever.

There is no manual shifter for the H or L transfer cases like the Thar. Always running AWD which detects and kicks in automatically, and then an option to choose between High or Low depending on the conditions being tackled.

Even in XUV 700, there is an AWD Lock using which driver can force power being delivered to the rear wheels. When AWD lock is activated, it essentially is 4H... isn't it? I guess such a mechanism to force AWD must be there in the Scorpio as well. It will be highly unusual for the 4H/4L choice to exist without there being a mechanism to force AWD in the first place.

A screenshot from XUV 700's user manual for reference:
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-awdxuv700.png
Old 8th June 2022, 21:11   #1199
BHPian

Well, just to add up some spice to the 4x4 saga.

I had expressed interest in the New Scorpio-N and received a call from sales team to check what sort of configuration I was looking at.

After checking regarding fuel type preference, transmission etc, she categorically asked if I was looking for a 4x4.

I’d say let’s hear it from the horse’s mouth on 27th.
Old_Salt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 22:27   #1200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes.

Does that mean the Scorpio-N has a central differential? AWD would need a central differential.

What is a part time AWD? Have heard of part time 4WD. Current Scorpio, Thar and other BOF off roaders have part time 4WD - since in the absence of central differential, only the rear wheels are powered. 4WD needs to be engaged separately
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks