Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2022, 11:08   #1306
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
. that every other SUV on the road becomes a Scorpio. 12 to 20 lakh is a good spread and Mahindra should be aiming for that.
In fact Mahindra would wish for exactly that - That every other SUV on the road is a Scorpio.

With 28 variants of the Scorpio on offer, Mahindra can price this all the way from low double digits to nearly 30L for the top end and attract buyers from a wide price range.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 15th June 2022 at 11:11.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 11:20   #1307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
. Many people did not think of buying a Scorpio for many different reasons. Not refined, non-urban chic looks, lack of equipment, sort of rustic hard handling feeling and finally the image it carried when someone got down from it... into the homes of people who would see it not stand out, say in a apartment parking lot next to a City, a Vento or a Jeep. .
Like @Kosfactor said, it is the Scorpio that made Mahindra an urban household name. A primarily UV/rural manufacturer that launched a model for urban India. Far cry from the steel hardtop Boleros and Armadas. It, alongwith the Qualis were one of the early UVs that women would not only find easy, but loved driving. Ofcourse with the course of time, launch of the XUV500 and general emergence of the crossover style, Scorpio did definitely become rural and identified with a 'type' of buyers.
DicKy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 11:54   #1308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
This news about MLD and BLD is good to hear. For me, this appears like it is a confirmation that the Scorpios' 4X4 system is essentially the same as the new Thar's. If this is truly the case, the MLD would not be manually lockable. In the Thar, the MLD gets automatically activated when the system detects wheel spin over a certain RPM in one of the rear wheels, while the other is stuck. It then transfers power automatically to the stuck wheel without any driver intervention. There is no manual rear differential lock button.
You are correct! Its actually a Mechanical Locking Differential (MLD) instead of Manual Locking Differential (MLD) generally used globally .
Old 15th June 2022, 14:59   #1309
BHPian

Quote:
XUV700 is clearly the more premium vehicle in terms of pricing placement than the Scorpio N. Just take a look at the massive integrated digital instrument cluster, ADAS features, pano sunroof etc. and this is clear as day. The Scorpio N has the same basic analog instrument cluster and 8 inch infotainment system from the XUV 700 MX base variant, which was launched for 11.99 lakhs.

The Scorpio N can easily be positioned well below the XUV 700, as the off-road gear is not all that expensive and not subject to the levels of part shortage affecting the electronics. For instance, the top end Thar with every one of these off-road features, such as part time 4WD, low range gearing, MLD, BLD etc. was launched at just 13.75 lacs by the end of 2020.

My guess is M&M will start off the Scorpio N range at a shock introductory price of 10.99 for the base 2WD Petrol Manual (just as they did for the XUV700 MX Petrol at launch), offer a base Diesel Manual at 11.99, a mid-range Diesel Auto 2WD around 14.99 and a top end Diesel Auto with 4WD at 17.99 to max out the range. They will then rapidly increase prices as time goes by.
Valid points, but my thought process is as below. Both of the base variants will come with less features and may have equal features in the base model. With that the monocoque body type is cheaper to build compared to the body on frame. So even if the size is exactly same and feature set is same, the base variant will have more cost to build. Hence I was saying the base version will be costlier than XUV 7OO.
Now on the top end, the 4X4 transfer case (With 4L) with differential lock is minimum 2 lakhs rupees. And on top of that , they are having lot of electronic components as well. Like on demand torque in form of mode selection, and others .. This mode selection and other 4X4 mechanism are inspired from what is their in Endeavour. The endeavor 4X4 assembly costs around 6 lakhs (If you want to change it ) . So with around 2 lakhs more on the base price of a 4X2 variant, the top end is going to be costlier than XUV 7OO ..
anumod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 15:45   #1310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post

With that the monocoque body type is cheaper to build compared to the body on frame. So even if the size is exactly same and feature set is same, the base variant will have more cost to build.
I disagree with this point. From what I know, it is more expensive to build a monocoque SUV chassis than to build a BoF chassis, which often reflects on its pricing. Hence, even after price updates over a year, XUV700 base will cost more than a Scorpio N base.
Benoit is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 16:31   #1311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
I disagree with this point. From what I know, it is more expensive to build a monocoque SUV chassis than to build a BoF chassis, which often reflects on its pricing. Hence, even after price updates over a year, XUV700 base will cost more than a Scorpio N base.
Completely agree - look at the Bolero Neo, Xylo or Marazzo for example - They are all BOF vehicles and priced lower than the small monocoque XUV300.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 16:40   #1312
BHPian

There is no way the Scorpio should be priced higher than the XUV700.
Although Scorpio has not been revealed yet, initial impressions suggest XUV will retain the flagship crown. (Alturas doesn't count, I guess).Both are completely different product segments, but cross-shopping and comparisons between them are inevitable.

However,aside from 4×4 enthusiasts, very few people would choose a more expensive Scorpio over a XUV700. So,Mahindra will not make such a silly mistake of pricing the Scorpio above the XUV.

But if they do, the XUV700 waiting shall beat the Landcruiser's (I myself will book one each for all in the family).
Indepth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 16:42   #1313
BHPian

I know its way too early to think about tyre upgrade or modification, but there doesn't seem to be many AT tyres available in 235/60R18 size. Not much options in 245 or 255 section tyres either.

Only BF Goodrich has listed its AT KO2 series, 235/60R15 size in its Indian website.
Harshavarthan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 16:57   #1314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
With 28 variants of the Scorpio on offer, Mahindra can price this all the way from low double digits to nearly 30L for the top end and attract buyers from a wide price range.
I think you are referring to the on-road price in Bangalore as 30 lakh!!I don't think the top-end Scorpio will cross 25 lakhs on-road in Bangalore.
I am assuming an ex-showroom price for a fully loaded diesel 4×4 trim to be 19.99 lakh.
Indepth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 19:12   #1315
BHPian

Quote:

The Scorpio N can easily be positioned well below the XUV 700, as the off-road gear is not all that expensive and not subject to the levels of part shortage affecting the electronics. For instance, the top end Thar with every one of these off-road features, such as part time 4WD, low range gearing, MLD, BLD etc. was launched at just 13.75 lacs by the end of 2020.

My guess is M&M will start off the Scorpio N range at a shock introductory price of 10.99 for the base 2WD Petrol Manual (just as they did for the XUV700 MX Petrol at launch), offer a base Diesel Manual at 11.99, a mid-range Diesel Auto 2WD around 14.99 and a top end Diesel Auto with 4WD at 17.99 to max out the range. They will then rapidly increase prices as time goes by.
Since we know that Scorpio Classic will continue to be sold along with Scorpio N can M&M price the Scorpio N less than Scorpio Classic? XUV 700 Diesel line up starts at 13.68 L ex-showroom and current Scorpio is at 13.30 L. M&M was able pull rabbit out of hat in case of XUV700 since they discontinued XUV500. This is not possible here. Also difference in prices for Petrol and Diesel variants in XUV700 is 50-70K only. Therefore, I feel that the chances of Scorpio N range starting at 10.99/11.99 L is very remote, unless M&M does some major reshuffle in variant distribution.

At best, Scorpio N may start at where the XUV700 MX variants are currently with MX variants being discontinued from XUV700 lineup.This will be inline with what has been discussed on this forum earlier.
Old 15th June 2022, 20:15   #1316
BHPian

About the interior of the "Big Daddy", here's another detail. The interior colour scheme looks very, ahem... VERY similar to the Alcazar!
Here are the pics:-
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-lk8n5ma_mahindrascorpioninterior_625x300_13_june_22.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-alcazarinteriordashboard.jpeg
MADisMynAMe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 20:19   #1317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVector View Post
Since we know that Scorpio Classic will continue to be sold along with Scorpio N can M&M price the Scorpio N less than Scorpio Classic?
Mahindra has said that they'll continue to sell the current Scorpio as Scorpio Classic but I think they haven't said which all variants would be on sale. I feel that the S3 and S5 only may be sold and not the higher variants. They may even sell just S3. So pricing the Scorpio N may be an easy task for them.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 20:36   #1318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADisMynAMe View Post
Somehow, the new butterfly logo of Mahindra doesn't look palatable anymore.

The original Mahindra logo looks great, for Eg: on the new Thar. Wish they return to the original classy Mahindra logo.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-mahindra_original_logo.jpg  

Last edited by for_cars1 : 15th June 2022 at 20:39.
for_cars1 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 20:41   #1319
BHPian

Honda City 4th generation prices were cut by around 70,000 upon the launch of the 5th generation.
I think Mahindra could do something similar here with the Scorpio Classic.They may slash current Scorpio S3plus diesel prices by about a lakh or so, selling it at Rs 12.3 lakh ex-showroom.
The SCORPION base then could be safely launched at 11.65 lakh for petrol and 12.88 lakh for diesel. Just my 2 cents.
Old 15th June 2022, 20:44   #1320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
The R&D costs for a monocoque is higher. But the material cost for a BOF compared to an equivalent monocoque will be more. Here we are comparing with the same transmission and same engine and almost same feature set. Anyway, I think we are deviating from the topic. So I will wait and watch ..
anumod is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed