Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2022, 22:07   #1261
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashwat.75 View Post

To put it simply Scorpio and the Tata twins have completely different clientele.
Mahindra on one hand has significantly raised the Scorpio branding by providing proper hardcore 4x4 credentials in the upcoming iteration. Tata on the other hand has diluted the Safari branding by reducing a hardcore 4x4 earlier offering to a mere 4x2 in its current form.
for_cars1 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 22:24   #1262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
It all depends upon Mahindra whether ScorpionN will be a hit or not. If they can produce 10,000 per month, it is definitely a hit. It is of no use to call it a hit if Mahindra can't meet demand, leading to waiting periods like the XUV700.
It is so frustrating to see such long waiting periods for a commodity like cars. A customer who needs to spend money (a lot of it, for that matter) is chasing the seller. I miss the good old days.
If priced attractively (usually Mahindra's strategy) and the company allocates bigger production volumes, the Scorpion is likely to cannibalise XUV700s sales. Reaching the 10k sales mark must be easy for such a handsome product.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 22:29   #1263
BHPian

One point where I’ll really give a standing ovation to Mahindra is keeping their design language different for their portfolio.
I can’t think of one other car maker who has kept strong design cues in their different line up as per their legacy.
SShandilya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 22:32   #1264
BHPian

IMO, anybody looking at a 'car' in the 10-20L bracket WILL take a look at the Scorpio if:

a) Mahindra sort the ride quality and improve it over the Scorpio Classic
b) The automatic is available with lower trims too - and not just the top spec 4X4
c) A petrol mill is provided with 4X4
d) Mahindra improves the crash rating of the car

I know a lot of Thar prospects who don't buy it or consider it because it doesn't meet the family requirements. If this offers decent offroad capabilities, it is enough of a people mover to please the slightly adventurous family of 4-5. The interiors look good, will have to see how they feel in person. Nonetheless, this will attract a lot of bookings when Mahindra launches this car, and like the XUV, there will be a price rise after the first few bookings.

P.S., I like the car (features, looks) and would like to put it in my garage if it really is the big daddy as claimed. At this point, I am not sure only about the rear looks, but not a dealbreaker.
acquillew is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 22:38   #1265
BHPian

Scorpio has a very loyal fan following across age groups. Almost Bachhanseque.. If I may say so. Whatever I have seen so far about the N in this forum and if they get their delivery timelines sorted, all including Tatas and Mahindra very own XUV 700 will be in for a rough ride.

I am for sure going to Mahindra showroom early morning on 27th June to book this handsome product. No online booking for me. Assuming that booking starts 27th
alokk0912 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 22:50   #1266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShandilya View Post
One point where I’ll really give a standing ovation to Mahindra is keeping their design language different for their portfolio.
I can’t think of one other car maker who has kept strong design cues in their different line up as per their legacy.
Thanks to the acquisition of the Italian design company Pininfarina which Mahindra did with an eye on futuristic designs of their vehicles...
Old 13th June 2022, 23:33   #1267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoi View Post
Very true, the central console has an uncanny resemblance too
1[/ATTACH]
Yes, our BigDaddy has a Bigger daddy .

Scorpio-Classic will have some inferiority complex to stand near Scorpio-N in the showroom with its same age old interiors/features

peace
sulliavi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 23:43   #1268
BHPian

The interiors look wonderful.. If I have to pin point something, I wish the touch screen was slightly bigger (less bezel) and slightly higher. Other than that, it looks like a winner.
vellatechie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 04:21   #1269
BHPian

These things made me buy Thar -

1. Off-road capability
2. Shorter Wheel base
3. Peppy Petrol Engine

Now I do feel the shortcomings of 3 Door and less boot space and tempted to buy upcoming Scorpio. I know it ticks all the boxes for me but then price is also the king. I hope they do not price is somewhere around XUV700. It should be priced competitively but then the S11 model of Scorpio manual 4x2 is selling for 21 Lakhs in Himachal (On Road Price). So going by that, this will be priced similar or could be higher than XUV700 given that it comes with a 4WD + Rear Lockers.
swunkjyn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 06:24   #1270
Team-BHP Support

I completely understand how the Scorpio N kind of bridges the product gap between the Thar and the XUV 7OO. But I’m left wondering how exactly the Thar 5 door fits in this scheme of things. Does that leave a super niche band for it then? I guess going almost squarely against Scorpio N - i.e. retains the Thar charisma, gives two more doors for a “little” more practicality (less than Scorpio still perhaps) for those limited customers who MUST have the Thar look but in a 5D format.

Anyway, not bad for customers to have a sweeping range of quasi overlapping options depending on what tickles their fancy the most. Mahindra truly has carpet bombed the 14 - 30L price point with its multiple range of SUV offerings. Retaining and enhancing the 4x4 creds (unlike brand Safari) and upping the luxury / features / desirability quotient all at the same time. Just hope they can sort out supply issues and niggles.
Axe77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 06:57   #1271
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems clear from the interior photos that the Scorpio N will be offered in at least 2 seating configurations:
  • 2+3+2 - with a bench seat in the second row that splits 60:40
  • 2+2+2 seating with captain seats in the middle row.
The first configuration seems to come with a powered push button type arrangement to flip the left side seat on the 60:40 split second row to tumble forward for entry into the last row and also powered flip back to position.

My guess is the lower variants will come with the the 2+3+2 seating and the top variant will have the captain seats. The lower variants may have a manual flip and tumble arrangement for ingress while the higher variants with bench seats will have the powered arrangement.

Just like in the XUV700, it seems like M&M have not found a way to slide the second row seats back and forth which is a pity as Safari offers this.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 14th June 2022 at 06:58.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 07:45   #1272
BHPian

Will the new Scorpio have 2+3+2 seating configuration? I recollect reading in this thread that setting config options are 2+2+3 OR 2+2+2

If it's the later then literally becomes a 4 seater for long trips with family considering there's hardly any boot space.
Old 14th June 2022, 09:57   #1273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
New Mahindra Scorpio-N interiors officially revealed in new teaser.
Overall, I love the way the Scorpio-N looks including the tail-light design. I feel its leagues ahead of the XUV700. No offense to anyone, looks are very subjective. I think when Mahindra restrain their design team, they come out with very classic and elegant cars like this one and the new Thar.

However, if they want to play in the "D-segment" as they are shouting from the roof tops, they still have work to do when it comes to fit and finish. Look at this photo of the seats, the double-stitching seems uneven in certain areas and its wrinkled in places where it shouldn't be. And this is all in their OFFICIAL photos where they generally show things in the best light/angles. I can imagine that actual customer cars will be at best the same or mostly worse.

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-smartselect_20220613190505_twitter.jpg
lordrayden is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 10:56   #1274
BHPian

Recently test drove a Kia Carens and surprised by how thin A pillar was. Easy to drive in narrow roads and city roads, but wondered what would be compromise on cage safety in event of an head on accident.
I'm hoping Mahindra will bring their safety aspects from XUV 700, like use of boron steel for A pillars and use of high strength steel in other areas and horizontal trisul like build to distribute collision impact.
Even though my use will be 90% city and ok with two air bags, i would prefer Mahindra vehicles for their structural strength in recent launches. Hope it is not compromised for pricing.
vinbie2019 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 10:58   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Mahindra on one hand has significantly raised the Scorpio branding by providing proper hardcore 4x4 credentials in the upcoming iteration. Tata on the other hand has diluted the Safari branding by reducing a hardcore 4x4 earlier offering to a mere 4x2 in its current form.
Don't want to go OT but I don't think the Safari Storme was a "Hardcore" 4x4. Safari was always more family friendly than the Scorpio - for instance the Safari Storme had a much more comfortable second row when compared to the corresponding Scorpio. I'd say more than 70 percent customers of Safari Storme bought it for the driving pleasure and comfort - something that carries on to the current gen Safari as well
Shashwat.75 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed