Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2022, 20:14   #1396
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

Mahindra salesmen are the luckiest lot on earth I guess, who have to do zero canvassing for their product. I wonder what that bandwidth is being re-purposed into. Probably to deal with booking status enquiries.
Yes. They are indeed. No need to do any selling. All said, my experience has been good with Mahindra people. Got my Thar last year and was treated very well inspite of the fact that it had a huge wait times same time last year. Even for Scorpio, they have been supportive so far. And no false promises so that helps. In fact they recommended not to buy any accesories from the showroom. And multiple test rides without any issues.
alokk0912 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 08:53   #1397
BHPian

It is very difficult to digest the fact that a multi-billion dollar organisation is not able to plan website booking well without crash and glitches. The thought crosses the mind that this infact could be part of strategy so that people drop their rationality and indulge in fastest finger first and "Jo mile le lo". Even if those people cancel the booking later others holding on to their booking will be pleasantly surprised with their booking pre-ponement and add to experience. For prospective buyers who didn't take the plunge in initial euphoria again goes into FOMO when a dealer calls back and says that a vehicle is immediately available for delivery ��
I cannot deny that i feel the same urge but I hope i can make rational decision looking at kind of money involved ��
Old 22nd June 2022, 09:44   #1398
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio Classic and Scorpio-N spotted together.

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-smartselect_20220622094250_instagram.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 11:05   #1399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

Attachment 2323416

Link
Looks good but it definitely doesn't look like a D-segment suv. Its a good upgrade to the scorpio but I dont know if this over hyping will backfire at the end.
Old 22nd June 2022, 11:39   #1400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Looks good but it definitely doesn't look like a D-segment suv. Its a good upgrade to the scorpio but I dont know if this over hyping will backfire at the end.
I was just checking the dimensions of a Fortuner
4795 mm Length, 1855 mm Width, 1835 mm Height
and the ScorpioN
Length (mm), 4662 ; Width (mm), 1917 ; Height (mm), 1870
Seems like
Scorpio Length is 13.3 cm lesser (-)
Scorpio Width is 6.2 cms wider (+)
Scorpio Height is 3.8 cms taller (+)
and..probably that is why they call it a D segment SUV
If someone gets a picture of both ScorpioN and Fortuner together, will know it better at least from a size to size perspective.

Swami

Last edited by swami69 : 22nd June 2022 at 11:42.
swami69 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 12:22   #1401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Scorpio Length is 13.3 cm lesser (-)
Scorpio Width is 6.2 cms wider (+)
Scorpio Height is 3.8 cms taller (+)
and..probably that is why they call it a D segment SUV
Surprised to see it is wider!!! Would love to see what it has done for interior space.

The height is a given. Unlike our Scorpio and OG Safari, most international SUVs have less height. Most of their visual mass is from the height and size of the bonnet.
DicKy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 12:30   #1402
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Seems they are trying to make the grille similar on both? While at it, maybe the logo will also be updated to the new version?
Old 22nd June 2022, 12:33   #1403
Distinguished - BHPian

Cars are getting bigger and more powerful; this trend follows the American way. On the other hand, most of our interior roads remain quite small width-wise (as is also found in Europe often).

I don't know how most customers will make do with these cars in our interior roads. In the good old days (say even 7 years ago), we had lots of cars that would make driving in our interior roads a breeze. That proportion is now skewed in favor of bigger cars.

I mean, would I buy this wide new Scorpio-N, knowing that it'll need to serve its duties in the narrow lanes of where I live? No. Not unless I had horses for courses...a beater car for urban use and the Scorpio-N for highway duties. That's rich for most Indians outside of this forum. Just an observation.
locusjag is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 12:59   #1404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Cars are getting bigger and more powerful; this trend follows the American way. On the other hand, most of our interior roads remain quite small width-wise (as is also found in Europe often).
Not just American. Believe it is a global thing unless local regulations play (like our sub 4m or Japan's Kei car classification) The ever Euro Polo and Golf look swollen and obese compared to their original first generations. Same with Japanese cars. The American cars went through a serious detox in the 80s, so they are fine.

It is why I am fond of cars like the Spresso. Perfect for the narrow interior roads in rural/ urban areas. That said, I don't mind cars growing. We are so used to seeing small cars and the lethargy with our infra growth, that any decent size cars gets called as landyacht. Still remember fuming at some article in 'The Hindu' in the late 2000s. It went like this, "The glittering malls, wide highways with hoardings advertising the latest gas guzzler, Toyota Innova, is an example of how new India is trying to ape the USA model. "
DicKy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 17:08   #1405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Seems they are trying to make the grille similar on both? While at it, maybe the logo will also be updated to the new version?
Exteriors and Interiors of the car are already officially revealed. You can check it out here:
https://auto.mahindra.com/suv/scorpio-n
tarunjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 17:27   #1406
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunjain View Post
Exteriors and Interiors of the car are already officially revealed. You can check it out here:
https://auto.mahindra.com/suv/scorpio-n
I meant for the Scorpio Classic.

And, this thread has way more details on the N than that site.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 18:11   #1407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I meant for the Scorpio Classic.

And, this thread has way more details on the N than that site.
Oh you were referring to the old Scorpio - completely misread your post! Didn't realize old Scorpio will get a facelift too.
Old 22nd June 2022, 18:48   #1408
Distinguished - BHPian

One more thing to note for those prospective customers who are eyeing the base diesel variants of the upcoming Scorpio-N - the base 2.2L diesel will have an output of 132PS power and 300Nm of torque. It will be offered with a 6-speed manual transmission only. No AT, no 4WD options to be given with this engine option.

Also, for the 4WD variants, the front differential will have ESP-controlled electronic brake locking (eBLD) while the rear differential will have mechanical locking (MLD).

Production-spec Scorpio-N & Scorpio Classic test mules spotted on a highway run at Mettupalayam Ooty foot hills, near Coimbatore.

RavenAvi is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 18:53   #1409
BHPian

What is it going to do the Thar (3 door) sales ? Some % expected to shift from the Thar to Scorp-N perhaps. Does anyone have a side-by-side picture of the new Thar and Scorp-N ?
airguitar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 19:03   #1410
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
One more thing to note for those prospective customers who are eyeing the base diesel variants of the upcoming Scorpio-N - the base 2.2L diesel will have an output of 132PS power and 300Nm of torque.
Early Safari Storme's were 140 and 320Nm. Overtaking has been fine, pull with full load is fine, and I have never felt it under-powered.

The Scorpio-N being a little lighter, these numbers are not really bad. Even after all these years, I find the Storme sufficient for my driving - both these are diesels, and not high-revving petrol.

I think the 132/300 will be fine.
condor is offline   (13) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed