Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2022, 19:58   #1411
NTO
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Has the booking opened?
Bookings are opened unofficially for a sum of Rs. 21000. Confirmed with my dealer. Dealers are collecting the cheques across the country. My doubt is, the dealers might have a bulk booking functionality with Mahindra and they might place all the unofficial bookings first, as soon as they open.

Also, Scorpio N will be available in the showrooms on 27th of June.
NTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 22:21   #1412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTO View Post
Bookings are opened unofficially for a sum of Rs. 21000. Confirmed with my dealer. Dealers are collecting the cheques across the country. My doubt is, the dealers might have a bulk booking functionality with Mahindra and they might place all the unofficial bookings first, as soon as they open.

Also, Scorpio N will be available in the showrooms on 27th of June.
Surprisingly none of the dealers in Noida, Ghaziabad or East Delhi confirmed such thing. Or they are just shy to disclose this over phone. You got this over phone?
saurabh041086 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 23:10   #1413
BHPian

A note of caution for those pre-booking with the dealer.

- It does not matter when you pre-booked, what matters is the time the dealer punches in your booking in the system.

- In case you do pre-book make sure to get confirmation from the dealer that your booking would be punched in (via the bulk option) the moment bookings opens -- at preferably 10:01am.

- Doubly ensure the variant in the dealers system by calling them prior to booking day. Dealers punching in wrong variants was a widespread issue during XUV700.
Tanmay007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 02:18   #1414
BHPian

Will there not be a system where the dealers get a preference over online booking? If not, wouldn't the dealers object to not having any advantage for doing business with M&M?
I think dealers will be able to punch in and place bulk orders a day earlier or atleast few hours before online booking starts.
Harshavarthan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 05:24   #1415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
Will there not be a system where the dealers get a preference over online booking? If not, wouldn't the dealers object to not having any advantage for doing business with M&M?
I think dealers will be able to punch in and place bulk orders a day earlier or atleast few hours before online booking starts.
I think the booking window is same for public and dealers. Even if we go individually online, we still may have to select a dealer from our area and the business goes through them. This practice by dealers is more to cover the competition between multiple dealers within a city/area so that they take the cheque from you and safeguard it for themselves. Further I understand they will be ready with your KYC documents and they may make a booking advance to Mahindra in bulk using their payment system, which will overall speed up things in getting your booking in.

Also i understand they might employ the full staff strength on that booking day with multiple systems to get through their pre-booking cases. Not sure how effective this is, but just a chance to take if we want to get ahead in the queue.

This is probably an initiative by some dealers across the country and that is the reason some others say there is nothing like it

But, taking a step back to look at what is being done to buy a big budget purchase like a car, it looks very silly (like a mobile flash sale)

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 07:33   #1416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Surprisingly none of the dealers in Noida, Ghaziabad or East Delhi confirmed such thing. Or they are just shy to disclose this over phone. You got this over phone?
I have spoken with a dealer based out of a tier 2 location (Kurnool, AP) and they have no clue about the booking dates. They are just collecting the KYC documents for now.
Old 23rd June 2022, 10:40   #1417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
and..probably that is why they call it a D segment SUV
If someone gets a picture of both ScorpioN and Fortuner together, will know it better at least from a size to size perspective.

Swami
Sorry, by that logic- CR-V, Tucson, C5 Aircross will be C2 segment while Sumo and Trax will be D segment.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 23rd June 2022 at 10:42.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 11:02   #1418

Spotted a test mule of Scorpio-N in Chennai today.
Took a quick pic of the backside.
Side opening door - can be reasonably certain that we will have side-facing 3rd row seats.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-scorpio-back.jpg  

Dcs99 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 11:10   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
What is it going to do the Thar (3 door) sales ? Some % expected to shift from the Thar to Scorp-N perhaps. Does anyone have a side-by-side picture of the new Thar and Scorp-N ?
I feel like the Scorpio-N will bring in a lot of customers to showrooms as many people loved the Thar but couldn't buy it due to the Thar having only 4 seats and 2 doors.

The Scorpio-N, especially the 172hp diesel and 197hp petrol models will fill in the gap between the Thar and the XUV700 as it is supposed to be a car that offers offroad ability like the Thar while also comfortably seating more than 5 people.

In terms of dimensions look at these screenshots (The Scorpio-N picture was pulled from the leaked owners manual)
  • The track width is slightly wider on the Scorpio-N (1580mm) vs the Thar (1520mm)
  • The Scorpio-N is much longer than the Thar, it sits at 4662mm in length while the Thar is just shy of 4m at 3985mm
  • The wheelbase is longer as well, 2750mm on the Scorpio-N vs 2450mm on the Thar.
  • The 2 places where the Thar is larger than the Scorpio-N is the height and width. The Thar is 1920mm tall vs the Scorpio-N at 1870mm, the Thar is 2040mm wide while the Scorpio-N is 1917mm wide.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-thar.png  

Attached Images

GreasyCarb55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 11:11   #1420
BHPian

Looks like a flatter (wider) jeep from the front. Intentional?
Old 23rd June 2022, 11:18   #1421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Sorry, by that logic- CR-V, Tucson, C5 Aircross will be C2 segment while Sumo and Trax will be D segment.
I am with you. I posted that statement more from a Sarcasm. But, now, I am curious to know what makes a vehicle D segment. Because, many members here repeatedly say, this cannot be considered D segment including me, but why ?

is it the price at which it will be listed
is it the size
Comfort ?
Reliability ?
ASS ?
Quality of materials ?
Fit & Finish ?
Safety ?
Brand Value ?
Feature list ?
Resale Value ?
What ?

Size - If I take the case of ScorpioN, it probably matches or close to the size of a D segment SUV. It would give a 7 seater option and if they have done a space utilization, it would be comfortable as well. Reliable ? I am sure it will be, with a proven mHAWK engine and a transmission. Quality of Materials ? I am sure they have improved much in the quality of materials being used. Fit & Finish - Comparatively slightly lower, probably. Safety ? if they give 6 airbags, NCAP crash test results, all other stuff, what else. Brand Value ? I am sure M&M has a reputation in India, maybe not equaling the T badge, but not bad as well. Feature list ? there is definitely going to be a long list. Resale Value ? Scorpio, Thar and other good selling M&M products have a descent resale as well. ASS, yes, when compared to T badge, M&M is a hit or miss, but personally I never had an issue. Again, Toyota is just a comparison, there are other D segment manufacturers against with M&M may fair better.

Even with a Fortuner, there are many mentions that it is not as comfortable as a Crysta, ride quality poor etc., so there are negatives. Even if we compare "pure" D segment products, each one will fair good in one and bad in the other criteria.

So, is it because Fortuner/Kodiaq/Tiguan/X1 priced at 50L and ScorpioN priced at 25L (?) makes the difference between a D and a C/B segment ? Would be glad to understand, what makes it to a D segment OR is it just a perception by people without any objective points !

Swami

Last edited by swami69 : 23rd June 2022 at 11:23.
swami69 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 11:54   #1422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post

So, is it because Fortuner/Kodiaq/Tiguan/X1 priced at 50L and ScorpioN priced at 25L (?) makes the difference between a D and a C/B segment ? Would be glad to understand, what makes it to a D segment OR is it just a perception by people without any objective points !

Swami
Great analysis and thoughts. My view is that it is more about perception that objectivity. Indian car manufactures have come a long way now. My cousin who only had German cars till date is now a proud owner of XUV 700 and considering Scorpio as well for offroading trips. Just to take an example; Fortuner at almost double the price of XUV and more for Scorpio, it is pure perception and branding rather than any objective criteria. I for one find it hard to justify 25 big ones extra for fortuner purely going by the features, engine, suspension, ride quality, ASS and resale as criteria.
alokk0912 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 12:04   #1423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Cars are getting bigger and more powerful; this trend follows the American way. On the other hand, most of our interior roads remain quite small width-wise (as is also found in Europe often).

I don't know how most customers will make do with these cars in our interior roads. In the good old days (say even 7 years ago), we had lots of cars that would make driving in our interior roads a breeze. That proportion is now skewed in favor of bigger cars.

I mean, would I buy this wide new Scorpio-N, knowing that it'll need to serve its duties in the narrow lanes of where I live? No. Not unless I had horses for courses...a beater car for urban use and the Scorpio-N for highway duties. That's rich for most Indians outside of this forum. Just an observation.
It's not just because we're going the American way, it's also because of safety. After seeing the disastrous crash test result of the outgoing Scorpio, would you still buy it over the N knowing how unsafe it is for you and your family? If we want safer cars, we're going to have to put up with more weight and mass. No two ways about it.

Mahindra's aiming for at least a 4 star crash safety rating for the N. Can that be achieved without adding weight? I doubt it.

Just look at any vehicle's 15 year old version and compare it to the one being sold today. They're heavier, yes, but also MUCH safer. Right from a humble Nissan Versa (cheapest new car in the USA today) to an S class. Crash test norms are evolving every year, manufacturers have to keep up. Weight < Safety
DeKay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 12:18   #1424
BHPian

Saw a couple of test mules near Ooty Yesterday. Not sure if they are the Scorpio N.Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-img_20220622_190134.jpg
The occupants were running some diagnostics.
nishkamm is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:22   #1425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNL_Bandi View Post
I have spoken with a dealer based out of a tier 2 location (Kurnool, AP) and they have no clue about the booking dates. They are just collecting the KYC documents for now.
Same experience here. Called up my local dealer in Tier 2 location (Palakkad, Kerala) and have taken KYC documents for now. Said official bookings will only open post 27th. So not really sure what they intend to do with these KYC documents but I suspect they will be able to bulk feed the info on M&M portal and pre-pay deposit to hold a place while waiting for customer payments to reach them.

When asked about pricing, he was quite clueless except that it would be priced below the XUV700, but not by a big margin. When asked about introductory pricing, he said he expects to be under 15L ....which I find hard to believe if the intention is to place it below the XUV700. So didnt bother him for more details.

Wait and watch it is for now...not interested in the top variant or 4x4. If I can get a mid variant with decent equipment for under 15L, I will go for it.

Any idea of what variants to expect? Read earlier there would be 28 variant spread to choose from, but any further details available?
akannath is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks