Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:46   #1426
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
I am with you. I posted that statement more from a Sarcasm. But, now, I am curious to know what makes a vehicle D segment
Name:  LugWheels.png
Views: 515
Size:  581.2 KB

The number of Wheel Lug Nuts? Just kidding.
Even otherwise, Toyota Fortuner, Ford Endeavour and MG Gloster - all of their wheels have 6 lug nuts, while the old Scorpio (now called Classic) and the new ScorpioN have just 5.
I am pretty sure that the lug nut and the wheel studs have a certain amount of threshold defined - based on the weight they are to support to carry/lug/support and if it is really something that defines a segment, then, perhaps, Mahindra forgot to look at this. Mind you, the mighty Alturas G4 also had only 5.

On a serious note, while I agree that the size, comfort, quality, safety, features, capability, luxury quotient etc might all define what segment a car belongs to, I tend to believe that the brand-value plays a significant role.

And to some extent, perhaps the cost might too (no offence to anyone).

Either ways, I for one, would not really worry about whether this Mahindra's new entrant belongs to the C or D (or even B or E) segment. All I care is whether it ticks all the boxes for me.

And of course, I would love to hear the right explanations from experts on the segment classification.
msarunms1987 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 15:29   #1427
Senior - BHPian

Looks the the Scorpio N will be tested according to the new GNCAP protocol. This is what David Ward has said today after the Kia Carens crash testing -

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-20220623_145301.jpg
ph03n!x is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 15:42   #1428
Senior - BHPian

New Mahindra Scorpio-N will feature advanced technology of AdrenoX.

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-smartselect_20220623154406_twitter.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-smartselect_20220623154417_twitter.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-smartselect_20220623154455_twitter.jpg

Name:  SmartSelect_20220623154436_Twitter.gif
Views: 487
Size:  3.28 MB

Teaser

Last edited by Venkatesh : 23rd June 2022 at 15:45.
Venkatesh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 16:06   #1429
BHPian

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-untitled.png

This seems to be a picture from the Mahindra plant. ScorpioN covered in white. Source below:

msarunms1987 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 16:34   #1430
BHPian

"and..probably that is why they call it a D segment SUV"

True if you are a general public, but not true if you are TBHPian

D segment is much more than size and perception, there needs to be a clear premium in branding and even Mr. Anand Mahindra in his wildest dreams will not admit a Scorpieon (N) was leveraged to get a D segment feel.

They would have gone with an XUV monicker if they wanted to give that feel, the fact that this is a ladder on frame utility with spruced up interiors means that it is just confused branding strategy.

However, like all things, janta or aam aadmi or pullingos with lot of pocket muscle will decide its fate, not us!
prasanna.vps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 17:02   #1431
BHPian

Who approves the script for such tacky lines for the videos? Mahindra is dragging the "Daddy" theme a bit too much.
Dhillon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 17:32   #1432
Kln
BHPian

The rear quarter of the classic Scorpio is iconic - a flat, straight, square pillar.

It is a big part of the appeal of the car. The big beefy look makes it an instant purchase for the neta/police types.

The original Scorpio even had lights running up the pillar to highlight it! These curved lines make it look like a cross between the XUV 500/700 and Scorpio. I'm not sure it will retain the appeal of the OG Scorpio.
Kln is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 18:36   #1433
BHPian

Irrespective of the segment or any other categorisation, we (Indians) need cars that suit us. Made for the majority of the road, traffic, people and economic situations. Not everyone has a defined single purpose for their cars. It's everything for everyone once it comes home. This car needs to just keep improving, keep up with the times and still make buying and keeping it affordable.
It is here that I think the new Scorpio ticks all (or most) boxes.
Perception is one thing, owning and feeling fine about it is another.
The most pertinent question is, how will Mahindra keep up its delivery promise. Will it just add to the long list of lakhs of cars that are in the queue or will it make it in time for buyers.
man_and_machine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 20:01   #1434
BHPian

The SCORPION shall be a little lesser revolutionary than XUV700.
However, given the fan following it may still outsell the XUV. In addition, there are so many first time prospective buyers like me, who have switched loyalities due to insane pricing/poorer products by some foreign brands.
So we may call it D segment/big daddy or whatever. The design may be polarising. The pricing may be premium or may be aggressive. The SCORPION will sell, and sell in good numbers. I only hope the demand is not too much, leading to insane waiting periods. In current market, anything under 1 year is acceptable, I believe.
Indepth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 21:09   #1435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
The SCORPION will sell, and sell in good numbers. I only hope the demand is not too much, leading to insane waiting periods. In current market, anything under 1 year is acceptable, I believe.
Very true. But I am given to understand that waiting period of XUV700 has started to crash and M&M has sorted out the production issues. So hopefully folks like us get it with relative less waiting time.
Old 23rd June 2022, 21:14   #1436
BHPian

I have put my Fortuner buy on hold and eagerly looking forward to the ScorpioN. Seven years ago I test drove both Fortuner and XUV500 and ended up buying XUV500 as it was a sensible decision and no regrets whatsoever. I love the vehicle and its so close to my heart. Now its again between Fortuner and ScorpioN. I am almost sold on ScorpioN but test drive will finalize my decision.

Any folks from Chennai planning to book the ScorpioN? Please do PM me as I am not familiar with Mahindra dealers in Chennai and would like to know about the same. Thanks.
prabhu789 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 21:16   #1437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra Scorpio Classic and Scorpio-N spotted together.

Attachment 2323416

Link

Did you spot them at Black Thunder? I saw the Bolero Maxitruck in wrap along with an XUV700 there about a week ago. I don't have a pic of the XUV though.

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-20220616_133805.jpg

I've been spotting a lot of wrapped and test vehicles up in the hills. A couple of XUV300s and few Thars as well, but yet to spot the new Scorpio.

Last edited by adwaith : 23rd June 2022 at 21:18.
adwaith is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 21:32   #1438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
It's not just because we're going the American way, it's also because of safety. After seeing the disastrous crash test result of the outgoing Scorpio, would you still buy it over the N knowing how unsafe it is for you and your family? If we want safer cars, we're going to have to put up with more weight and mass. No two ways about it.

Mahindra's aiming for at least a 4 star crash safety rating for the N. Can that be achieved without adding weight? I doubt it.

Just look at any vehicle's 15 year old version and compare it to the one being sold today. They're heavier, yes, but also MUCH safer. Right from a humble Nissan Versa (cheapest new car in the USA today) to an S class. Crash test norms are evolving every year, manufacturers have to keep up. Weight < Safety
I tend to disagree with you on the current generation Scorpio test results analysis. It scored 0 coz of side facing last row seats. Otherwise it is a strong and safe beast that I can vouch for since I own it for last 7 years. Mine is a S10 captain seats version I feel extremely safe on highways driving it.
If they discount off the last row side facing seats then they’ll surely get good Crash test rating.
FidoDido is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 00:16   #1439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidoDido View Post
I tend to disagree with you on the current generation Scorpio test results analysis. It scored 0 coz of side facing last row seats. Otherwise it is a strong and safe beast that I can vouch for since I own it for last 7 years. Mine is a S10 captain seats version I feel extremely safe on highways driving it.
If they discount off the last row side facing seats then they’ll surely get good Crash test rating.
I don't mean to cause an argument here but how can you say it's a "strong and safe beast"?

The body shell was rated as "Unstable" and unable to withstand further loadings. If you watch the video posted by GNCAP, the A pillar deformed badly at impact. Furthermore, child protection score was marginal as well.

While it is true that side facing seats resulted in an instant 0 in ratings but let's not pretend that this generation of Scorpio would've been a high scorer in GNCAP test.

Hopefully Mahindra continues their recent good streak and Scorpio-N gets a minimum 4 star rating.
Doonite is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 00:53   #1440
BHPian

I still can’t understand how is Mahindra going to position both the Scorpios. We have the XUV300 going till about 14lacs Ex-Showroom and then the XUV700 starting from about 13 lacs. The whole 13-16lacs window seems a bit too crowded to me.
aakash1412 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed