Team-BHP - When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/209262-when-previous-gen-car-bike-better-than-newer-generation-model-3.html)

And perhaps the only model that managed to achieve this feat twice: Honda City :)

GTO already mentioned how the Dolphin was such a let down from the first gen. But then Honda got their act together and made amends with the 3rd gen:

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-3rdgen.jpg

And curiously enough, managed to again take a step backward in the 4th gen, both in terms of looks (subjective) and the overall reliability and quality:

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-4thgen.jpg

We can add Rapid/Vento and ford Fiesta to the list. All of them had great engines and very good performance. With new 1.5 engines (Petrol in case of Fiesta), they lost the spark that the earlier versions had.

Also i20 had whole lot of features, including disc brakes in the older version. The newer version though sorted to an extent on handling lost out on the feature front

The only bike which was a proper improvement over the previous Gen and could strike a chord with the market was the Pulsar UG series to the Pulsar 200NS. The tank design is eye catching even till today and the NS feels way better than the older pulsars.

The opening post of the RX100 almost made me go in tears as it reminded me of my dad's RX100 and I regret giving away my Dad's Cherry Red RX100 (1987 Japanese make) later restored to Black. That bike was a hoot to ride even till the day we sold it in 2014. None of its successors could replicate the aura of the RX100.

The first gen Scorpio and XUV500 were also revolutionary in their initial years of launch and the newer models are nowhere close to the first gen models.

Speaking about destroying good looks and not mentioning the Indica Vista is just a crime. stupid:

The old Indica vista was per-se a good looking car with neat design philosophy. In my opinion TML just ruined it with the facelift.

The old Mahindra Renault Logan although was never a good looking car. However with clean lines and lesser bling, it was tolerable yet. All of a sudden the girl next door (old Logan) started appearing as beauty queen when seen next to the rechristened Verito.

(The Images are random picks from internet and the credit goes to their respective owners)

Surprisingly after 3 pages on this thread, there is no mention of Royal Enfield Bullet. "BULLET" in itself was a brand name before the introduction of modern bikes in the 90s.

And the comparison between the old and new. Need I say more !

For me, the answer is simple. It's Honda Jazz. I still regret that one month when Jazz's prices were slashed 2 lakhs and I didn't buy it. Then Indonasian floods killed supply for the increased demand, and after a year or so, Honda brought in the new Jazz, which somehow never appealed as the old one did. I still heave a sigh in regret whenever I spot a previous edition Jazz on the road.

Old Jazz:

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-1_honda_jazz_exterior1.jpg

New Jazz:

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-2015hondajazz061.jpg

Lovely thread GTO, and you couldn't have timed it better as I really think that car designers seem to have unanimously decided to got a bit too bling in the recent times with their designs.

1. Lemme start with an all time childhood favorite for most of us millennials:

Maruti Zen
Name:  Zen Old.png
Views: 6048
Size:  329.5 KB

This was probably THE REASON that kick started my hatred towards Maruti in earnest. I have no clue which idiot even approved this dumb "Makeover" of the classy Zen to Estilo !! :Frustrati

Suzuki Estilo

Name:  Zen Estillo.png
Views: 5876
Size:  275.9 KB

2. I was one of those millions who went head-over-heels when Punto was unveiled to us Indians. And even today, it just looks too gorgeous in its original avatar:

Fiat Punto
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-punto-old.png

Again, a timeless design spoilt just to try and ring in the cash counter.

Punto Evo
Name:  Punto Evo.png
Views: 5903
Size:  247.3 KB

3. Best for the last, and hands down my favorite, Polo GT TDI. Me being one of the lucky ones to own the infamous 1.6 GT TDI.

Simply put, one of the best cars money could by within 20 lakhs. clap:

VW Polo 1.6 GT TDI
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-pluto.jpg

Although the Germans are extremely good and careful at retaining the classy looks on a facelift, I quite prefer the clean and understated look of the original Polo over this:

VW Polo 1.5 GT TDI
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-gt-tdi-new.png

for me the biggest disappointments have been
1. Baleno
2. Jazz
3. Zen
4. Safari

When I saw this thread the original CBZ and the Karizma flashed through my mind instantly for a few seconds. These were the bikes that we used to drool over when we were in college. Rode a CBZ and a Karizma extensively thanks to friends who owned these beauties.

What became of the successors is for all of us to see. What a waste of opportunity sigh..!

The real thoroughbreds:

*** images taken off the web, acknowledgements to respective owners.

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-e4751413fe8548918143157c14dc89ee.jpeg

Name:  A597CFABFC4D4A47922C40931CDA1BBE.png
Views: 5551
Size:  253.6 KB

Besides I can vouch for the fact that the original Alto was far better than the current gen as well. I have adjustable headrests and power windows and central locking and speed sensing locks on a LXi, beat that.

Rather than a single car, I would like to list almost every car that Honda has ever launched:City, civic, crv, jazz all made an impact with their launch and had successive facelifts and gens ruin it for me for one reason or another.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avisidhu (Post 4588657)
And perhaps the only model that managed to achieve this feat twice: Honda City :)

GTO already mentioned how the Dolphin was such a let down from the first gen. But then Honda got their act together and made amends with the 3rd gen:

Attachment 1876021

And curiously enough, managed to again take a step backward in the 4th gen, both in terms of looks (subjective) and the overall reliability and quality:

Attachment 1876022

1st gen had a good engine, 2nd screwed up the engine but made it hyper practical which went on to become the best seller or all 4 gens. 3rd brought back the engine but poor interiors came along with it and finally the current one is just a #metoo.
In my opinion, 1 -> 2 gen was not really a downgrade but a shift in goal posts. After that it's just gone down except in price.

Honda Amaze- now the new generation one is better looking and elegant but I hate the front facia - grill. God forbid such a grill in future design.

Might sound so silly, but we have all done it when we were children.Most of the assume some emotion while seeing a car's front like its smiling or angry. On seeing new amaze it reminded me of Hitler's muschtache.:Frustrati

I find it rather strange that no body has mentioned the Swift Dzire.

My personal view is that First gen Dzire is the best looking Dzire:

Of course, the sub 4 meter Dzire was also good and was an ATM machine for Maruti.

But, the new Dzire, though it is still the ATM machine, It looks ugly:

When I was buying Diesel AMT 2 years back, I preferred the Gen-2 Swift Dzire even though it was priced a bit higher than the newly launched Dzire AMT. I say I'm satisfied with the higher seating position, timeless design of the Gen-2 Swift Dzire. I'm waiting to see how many agree with me in this forum :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by G V Krishna (Post 4588804)
I find it rather strange that no body has mentioned the Swift Dzire.

I'm waiting to see how many agree with me in this forum :)

I guess not many would agree. Dzire was always an ugly duckling. In fact, the present one is the least ugly I would say, with more width and a squatter stance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wr10forever (Post 4588373)
Need I say more?

But "Pajero Sport" was never the successor to second-gen Pajero. The car launched in India as "Montero" was. That was actually 4th-gen Pajero/Montero.

Pajero Sport is a size smaller than Pajero/Montero, and is a completely different car. Much like the Discovery/Discovery Sport duo.