Team-BHP - When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/209262-when-previous-gen-car-bike-better-than-newer-generation-model-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by black_rider (Post 4588830)
But "Pajero Sport" was never the successor to second-gen Pajero. The car launched in India as "Montero" was. That was actually 4th-gen Pajero/Montero.

Pajero Sport is a size smaller than Pajero/Montero, and is a completely different car. Much like the Discovery/Discovery Sport duo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbeast (Post 4589103)
You've got it wrong. Pajero sport is not a replacement for pajero. Its legendary in its design. always has been better than outgoing one and should not feature in this thread.

Thank you for pointing that out. I seriously didn't know this. IMO the Montero is actually a very good SUV and a deserving successor of the Pajero in India. I got confused due to the huge price gap between the 2002 Pajero, which started at around 19 lakh and the Montero, which starts around 68 lakh! The Pajero Sport at 28 lakh seemed more of a successor.

I know this thread is under "The Indian Car Scene", but it would be unfair not to point out one of the most legendary cars in recent times whose lineage has apparently been spoiled by the newly introduced model.

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-2020toyotasupra.jpg
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-toyotasupra.jpg

The upcoming 2020 Toyota Supra is by no means a bad car. In fact, it has been meticulously engineered by Toyota to have a 50:50 weight distribution and impressive handling (inspired by the GT86, co-developed with Subaru). The design is reminiscent of the legendary Toyota Supra MkIV, especially the headlights.
The one biggest downer for JDM enthusiasts around the world (myself included) is the fact that it shares its engine with the BMW Z4, which spoils the entire heritage of the MkIV's over engineered twin-turbo 2JZ engine. In fact, a few performance tuning companies are already offering 2JZ Engine swap kits for the 2020 Supra.
Would love to know about the views of fellow BHPians on this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wr10forever (Post 4589264)
The upcoming 2020 Toyota Supra is by no means a bad car.The one biggest downer for JDM enthusiasts around the world (myself included) is the fact that it shares its engine with the BMW Z4, which spoils the entire heritage of the MkIV's over engineered twin-turbo 2JZ engine
Would love to know about the views of fellow BHPians on this.

agree:

I whole heartedly agree with you on this point, in fact if you had not pointed it out, I was going to mention the new Supra anyways. Except for the body, everything else is BMW in that car(check out Matt Watson's review). And as you rightly pointed out, the 2JZ was one heck of an engine, and a Supra with a BMW engine has simply lost its soul. Also, it does not even offer a manual shift. I even hate its looks too :Frustrati . The MK4 was the best!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ani_meher (Post 4588684)
For me, the answer is simple. It's Honda Jazz. I still regret that one month when Jazz's prices were slashed 2 lakhs and I didn't buy it. Then Indonasian floods killed supply for the increased demand, and after a year or so, Honda brought in the new Jazz, which somehow never appealed as the old one did. I still heave a sigh in regret whenever I spot a previous edition Jazz on the road

Couldn't agree with you more!
The Jazz 2009-2014 is one of the best hatchbacks on the roads from those years. I am glad we have it even today and after 70k kms and counting, it carries on without a grumble.
10 cupholders, space for 6 adults, magic folding seats, a boot bigger than you'd ever need and a frugal vtec are its USP's. A few missing creature comforts like an armrest, reverse parking sensors, mood lighting and Bluetooth as standard on the newer cars, fulfilled on mine a la Aliexpress.com. I too sigh when I spot a fellow Jazzer on the road, but unlike you, not in regret!:)

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-img_20170225_071554.jpg

The classic looks of the Ambassador was spoilt by HM with their attempt at modernisation with the Avigo.

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-ambif.jpg

(Images from various TBHP Ambassador threads)

~What were the Toyota engineers drinking while designing it(2014+)??
~The Aspire is fun. The Ikon was pure unadulterated fun. Period.
~Honda did a good job with the new Civic. Good. Not Brilliant, like the older one.

For the looks
Hyundai Grand i10 - happens when you hit the best design first, the black bumper insert on the facelift looked ungainly to me. So is the front grille.

Hyundai i20 - same as above, the tail lamp cluster and the front grille of the previous model looked better

Maruti Zen - i think this will be the outright winner in this category

Mahindra Scorpio - Loved the classy design of previous model than the new ones

Time for some controversial entries lol:

1.Hyundai Santro:

We had the round headlamp one, Xing was good too! New one doesn't have anything special to offer.

New:

Old:

Hyundai Elantra:

Old one was one of the most good looking car in our market, new one just blends in.

New:

Old:

3.Fortuner:

New one:

Looks good no doubt at all, but lost some of it ruggedness in its looks,price is sky-high too!

Old one:

4.Aventador SVJ vs Regular :

SVJ front looks too cluttered IMO, many seem to like it.

New:

Old:

I think many of the comments in this post are purely matter of personal preference (including this one)

*I like new gen Jetta much more than that of old one (I really miss them in D segment).
*I like the new elantra more than the old one (but the upcoming one is a disaster i feel)
*New gen Dezire looks much better than previous one.
*The current gen civic not as bad as it looks in picture, i like it as much as the previous one.
*The current gen Altis is much better in looks as compared to older one (anyway, i will never consider it untill the upgrade there deisel engine)

I agree totally with Zen, pajero and ambassador.

I would like to add W212 benz E class to the list. The elegant look of w212 E class cannot be matched by the modern but funky looks of latest generation E class.

Quote:

Originally Posted by giri1.8 (Post 4589587)
Fortuner

Indian SUV market was swept off its feet when Toyota launched the first generation Fortuner in 2009! Except the scary braking and bumpy ride, it had everything that the market wanted - B-U-T-C-H looks, massive road presence, awesome off-road equipment, and of course, Toyota reliability and after-sales! No wonder it set the sales charts on fire and paved the way for its facelifted successors...

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-f1.jpg

The second generation, though more appealing to some than the first, did not have the "Clint Eastwood" looks of the first gen. Thankfully, the off-road prowess was not compromised and braking saw an improvement too! However, personally for me, it was still a let down from the first gen.

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-f2.jpg

The third generation saw Toyota giving in to the market demands of more bling and this is what was dished out!

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-f3.jpg

Disclaimer - strictly my personal opinion and no offence whatsoever to owners of the newer generations :)

As a UI guy with a (decent :confused:) sense of design, I think, it is easier for someone to design the most crowded space on a website than fill empty areas with something to get balance in design. The same principle applies here to automobiles.

The advancements in lightening technology called in for sleek headlamps which in-turn created a free space around them. Unfortunately, we cannot fill the free space with placeholders and backgrounds as we do in digital media, so the only option is to make other elements BIGGER, in this case, it is the grill and lower air dam. No offense to anyone, but, someone who has small eyes and a big mouth look bit serious (I can say confident) than they really are. After all, the designs are inspired by life. Most of the things around us are designed in the same way as above. Products are moving farther from looking cute to look confident.

Cheers,
Shouri

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiku007 (Post 4588595)
1. Early 1990s M800 > Face-lifted M800 and Alto

I felt that the earlier batches of M800 felt better built and more fun to drive. May be the Alto K10 had more power but something was missing still and I'm not able to pin point what it was.

2. Ford
Ikon 1.3L Petrol > 2010 Figo 1.2L Petrol
Fiesta 1.6L Petrol > Global Fiesta 1.5L Petrol
2010 Figo > 2015 Figo / Aspire

3. Esteem > Dzire
Again a personal choice and I'm going against the market here. I liked the M1000 and Esteem but hated the Dzire. The sleek design and rev happy engine of the Esteem was much desirable than the ugly duckling commuter the Dzire was.

I agree that Esteem was far ahead in terms of look and performance compared to the ugly looking Dzire.

For me a newer model which spoiled it all is Honda CRV. The model around year 2005 had neat straight lines. it was well proportioned. And then they changed it to a design which had curving lines. Till today I still prefer the looks of the 2005 model.

For me its the Q7. I just don't get why they would turn an angry beast into a portly uncle...

Maruti Swift
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-swift.jpg
IMO, the USPs of the Swift - the fun to drive nature and sporty looks have been going down with each generation. The 2nd gen car was perhaps the most balanced one, striking a near-perfect balance between fun and practicality. The new one doesn't look as good, is less fun to drive and doesn't improve upon the flimsy build quality of its predecessors. The new Swift is a disappointment IMHO.

Hyundai Santro
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-hyundai-santro.jpg
The new Santro is a good hatchback, but misses out on the key aspects that made the old one so popular - the tall-boy practicality and the torquey engine. Also, it is priced higher than it should be.

Honda City
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-honda-city-2.jpg
The current City is a great car, one that is among the top-sellers in its segment despite being one of the oldest. However it fails to provide the core qualities of owning a Honda - refinement and quality. Things have improved with the facelift, let's hope Honda ups the ante with the upcoming car.

Honda Jazz
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-honda-jazz.jpg
The old Jazz was an immensely clever and top-quality car. The current one is capable but is overall a shadow of its previous self.

Ford Figo
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-ford-figo.jpg
The 2010 Figo was successful because it was an honest, solidly built, well priced hatch which was also fun to drive despite being underpowered. The new one fails to live up to any of those things.

Toyota Corolla
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-toyota-corolla-2.jpg
The Corolla may be reliable and dependable as ever, but it fails to provide the same premium experience the old one so effortlessly provided. It is now outclassed by almost every rival.