Team-BHP - When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/209262-when-previous-gen-car-bike-better-than-newer-generation-model-7.html)

https://media.zigcdn.com/media/model...ht_600x300.jpg
https://media.zigcdn.com/media/model...ic_600x300.jpg

The new Fiesta was a tragedy both in the way it looked and the numbers it sold while the old Fiesta was a hit. The headlamps on the new one looked horrendous and i better not talk about the tail lamps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 4591454)
You have done an incorrect comparison

Thanks for the correction :thumbs up However, the corrected comparisons are also apt for this thread :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by cool_dube (Post 4591828)
Thanks for the correction :thumbs up However, the corrected comparisons are also apt for this thread :D

Hehe, i agree that holds good for the Pajero Sport, and probably for the Pajero from Gen 2 to Gen3. However, Gen 4 of the Pajero is more toned down and stays true to the original styling cues. :)

As few have already commented, for me it has to be the Fiesta (now Classic) and the new Fiesta. The new one was a disaster, the engine was downsized, and tuned for a better fuel economy, killing the fun factor for which it was known for. They added many features in the new one, not realizing that the Fiesta is known for its ride, handling and driving dynamics. Ford just klilled the new Fiesta. I was involved in a comparo for an online portal and I immediately let them know my feedback that "I am NOT going to upgrade". Here is the link of that article, and the car used for the photoshoot is actually my car :uncontrol
https://www.india.com/car-and-bike/c...e-off-3312288/

Some pics:

Soon EcoSport Titanium+ will be here :|

The upcoming Hyundai Creta/ix25 showcased recently looks absolutely horrendous from the outside. The current gen looks handsome IMO.

I think, all missed Xcent and Accent. I think Accent is a much better looker than Xcent:

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-hyundaixcent04.jpg

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-img_0362_qq.jpg

Mod Note : It is imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here to view our pictorial help article on uploading pics.

Please ONLY submit images via the Team-BHP Attachment System.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawarsw (Post 4604064)
I think, all missed Xcent and Accent. I think Accent is much good looker that Xcent

Nex-gen Accent is Verna, not Xcent. Xcent is a boot-pasted version of Grand I10. And Verna definately look much better than the Accent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawarsw (Post 4604064)
I think, all missed Xcent and Accent. I think Accent is much good looker that Xcent

No one missed it, it wasn't there to begin with. The Accent was later renamed to Verna (It was sold under Verna name in Korea and Accent in ROW if i'm not wrong) and the Xcent is a Grand i10 with a boot!!:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator (Post 4604077)
Nex-gen Accent is Verna, not Xcent. Xcent is a boot-pasted version of Grand I10. And Verna definately look much better than the Accent.

And the current gen drives much better than the earlier gens as well.

How can one neglect the fact that Hyundai messed up the rear of i20 in its latest iteration! Cruelty to that classy rear.

The Honda seems to have mastered this. The CRV, the Civic(arguably?!), the City, the Jazz. Alas, they missed the trick with the Amaze.

The first thing to come to my mind reading the thread was the CBZ, and an earlier post with the pic comparing it to the Extreme happens to be the CBZ Star, which IMHO was a bad bad successor to the original CBZ. Splendor anyone?

And to my utter surprise the Fortuner makes such late entry to the post!

Being a hardcore fan of Tata Safari and Civic, their new models were a terrible disappointment.. The majestic 2.2 dicor turned into a pussycat with storme.. Also the civic, when launched in India in 2006, I was sold in one look at it.. Now having one too and when I went to service station they told me to test drive new civic.. but just by looking at it, I want to run away.. The car lost its identity inside and outside.. Interior is same as their low end cars and exterior looked like someone sat on amaze.. don't know why all brands are now going after same design and interiors for all models.. cars are loosing their uniqueness now..

oh and that new WagonR and Santro :deadhorse

Lots of Fords on this thread, and here is yet another one (although not a generation change).

The Ford Endeavour 3.2L vs its replacement, the 2.0L BS6 (related thread). Based on whatever I've read so far, the 3.2 is indisputably the superior & a casualty of the BS6 norms. All dealer stocks are sold out. I would happily buy a used 3.2 over a new 2.0.

How about Yamaha RD350 HT vs LT?
The original RD can keep up with the sportsbikes of today while the Low Torque version came with worse build quality, worse performance for slightly better fuel economy. Still it guzzled fuel and no longer made that sweet, sonorous noise of the beloved H.T.

Maruti Suzuki not only bungled by replacing the Zen with Estilo but also ruined the original Zen throughout its 13 year span first by downgrading from 13 inch to 12 inch wheels and then by replacing the "honeycomb grille" 16 valve version with the "Tiger nose" 8 valve bodystyle.

Each and every generation of Ambassador was progressively worse, while the Landmaster had classy design, the Mark 2 was garish, though the Mark 3 looked best (I.M.O.) it was followed by a horrid Mark 4. Rest were a rehash of Mark 4 styling with the powerful Isuzu engine.

Even its arch rival Fiat 1100 got worse from the timeless 1954 version right till the 1995 S1.

I particularly hated the Ferrari 360 Modena replacing the gorgeous F355 and the 612 Scaglietti following the beautiful 456GT.

Subaru Legacy right till 2009 model year matched anything in its segment but the one that followed was a bland barge. It continues that way even now. Similarly the first 2 generations of Subaru Forester were brilliant to drive and were followed by inferior replacements.

If one wants progressive degradation in single generation, the C3 Corvette could be the textbook definition. What started as a trendsetting sports car with supercar matching performance ended up with half the horsepowers by the end of its 16 year span. It could not be as desirable as the C4 that followed and certainly not as revered as the preceding C2 Stingray.

If that seems to be all, we have for future a very unfortunate development of Psuedo-SUVs (PSUVs as I like to call them) littered with unnecessary gizmos, sometimes sharing nameplate with well renowned cars- the Ford Puma and Mitsubishi Eclipse being case in point.

Recent facelifts of Hyundais have ruined the look of their otherwise good lookings cars.

Hyundai Verna
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-img_20200710_085427.jpg

Hyundai i20
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-img_20200710_085341.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-img_20200710_090127.jpg

The new Santro looks ugly compared to the design of old Santro Xing and other offerings in the same segment. Seems like Hyundai is going backwards in their design language. Looks are personal preference though.