Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2019, 16:11   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model

Ever liked the older version of a car or bike more than the newer version? I have...could be because of my conservative tastes, or just that some new models miss the soul of the older one. For EACH of the models below, I'd own the predecessor in a heartbeat...but would say "meh" to the successor.

Some examples below. Do you have any?

For whatever reason, the newer RX135 never quite struck a chord in the same way that the legendary RX100 did. Even the market agreed, and the RX135 was a shadow of its predecessor:
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-1.jpeg

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-2.jpg

Where the 1st-gen City Vtec was a mad car that was built around its insane redline-loving engine, the weirdly-shaped "Dolphin" replacement was all about practicality. It even got a Vtec engine later, but never captured the soul of the original car. Was a sales success though & owners swear by their ugly ducklings:
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-3.jpg

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-4.jpg

The W124 remains among the most iconic Mercedes' ever made, along with the W123, W126 & W140. It's from an era when every Mercedes came out over-engineered from the factory and was truly like no other. The W210, sadly, epitomizes all that was wrong with the Jürgen Schrempp-rule and his ridiculous cost-cutting which made the 3-pointed star's cars feel cheap & unreliable. I'm glad the man eventually got fired before he caused even more damage:
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-5.jpg

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-6.jpg

While the G30 5-Series is the better & newer sedan, I h-a-t-e BMW's current design language. Could never own the Bangled-E60 & certainly could never own a car with such a strange face. The F10, on the other hand, has such a timeless & classy design:
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-7.jpg

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-8.jpg

Don't get me wrong, the new Civic is the superior car in most areas. However, I still think the 8th-gen is the enthusiast's choice. Main reason = Petrol + MT combination. With the new Civic, you either get a petrol + rubberband CVT, or an "adequate" 1.6L diesel + MT. Nothing that matches the character, fun & high-revving nature of the 8th gen @ 7,100 rpm in 2nd gear:
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-9.jpg

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-10.jpg

Here's one for the offroaders who will always prefer the MM550's solid axle suspension over the Thar's independent front which can break, is expensive to fix and offers lesser articulation. Two threads on the same topic are here & here:
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-11.jpg

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-12.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2019 at 08:57.
GTO is offline   (79) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 16:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model

The first car that came to my mind was the Figo. I have driven both the older and new models extensively and I'll pick the pervious gen any day. Yes, the new one has a stonker of an engine, but as an overall package, I'll give preference to the steering feel and handling.

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-red-figo-2.jpg

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-2017fordfigos01.jpg

One more car that I can think of is the Swift. Even today, driving the older one is very rewarding.

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-dsc01942.jpg

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-2017marutiswift01.jpg

The old Linea had a low GC which made it a fantastic handler. Combine it with features like folding rear seats, 3 headrests for rear occupants etc. it was a great car. Sadly the new one has SUV-like GC making it a bit of a let down. Oh, and the design. The former was timeless, can't say the same for the facelift.

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-bot5optimized.jpg

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-img_4757.jpg

Last edited by blackwasp : 13th May 2019 at 16:31.
blackwasp is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 16:31   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I liked the old gen Figo over the new Figo. Though the new Figo has a more powerful engine but i miss the characteristics of the old Figo in the new one.

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-img_2168.jpg

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-fordfigosportsedition.jpg

Old gen Karizma vs the new gen Karizma. The 1st gen karizma had a timeless design, later Hero just killed it.

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-new_hero_honda_karizma_r_15.jpg

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-herokarizma.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 13th May 2019 at 16:36.
Samba is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 16:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

1. Swift - Maruti is hell bent on messing something or the other over the years with the Swift.
2. Corolla - 9th gen was the best looking (2005-8). From there it was downhill. The current edgy looks aren't to my liking.
3. City - 4th gen City has its own thread (Honda City (4th gen) niggles: A compilation. Are Honda cars niggle-free anymore?).
4. Wagon-R - The current gen facelift looks horrendous
5. Figo - Improved looks and everything. Messed up the one thing Fords were famous for (handling).
narayans80 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 17:00   #5

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-2002mitsubishipajero.jpg

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-mitsubishipajerosportrivals.jpg

Need I say more?
wr10forever is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 17:01   #6
BHPian

The first generation Pulsars were a class apart! It captured the Young Indian's fancy like no other motorcycle could!

Definitely Male, indeed!
Attached Thumbnails
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-screenshot_20190513170009.jpg  

Geo_Ipe is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 17:04   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The Zen was I think a top example of a next gen messed up. Although it was technically a different model- Maruti still used the Zen nomenclature on the Estilo due to the brand recall the Zen had. What a disappointment that turned out to be.

In general I think a lot of models have come out whose new generations compromised on the USP's of previous generations. They might have improved on features and bling, but some core characteristics were compromised. Figo is one that comes to mind. Honda City is another.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 13th May 2019 at 17:08.
Rajeevraj is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 17:11   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The first gen Jazz was a class act. A truly world class hatchback that was immensely spacious and practical with top notch quality. It was Honda at it's best. The current car is only a shadow of the original.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 17:14   #9
BHPian

How can we not Mention Hyundai Santro?

I would also add Honda Jazz here. Older one was much better looking. And Alto too, previous one was more Zen like, while the new one is Celerio type.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 17:31   #10
MSC
BHPian

Hyundai Santro must be on the top of this list. The old generation Hyundai Santro was an ugly duckling which evolved into a much better Xing version.
But the latest Santro has failed to ignite the same fire as the original one. The opinions on the looks are subjective but still, most will agree (if not all) that new Santro is no match in comparison to Santro Xing version.
MSC is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 17:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Most of my list is already covered.

Two more from my end is the Palio vs Palio Stile. Horrible transition of a timeless design.

Also, Safari Dicor vs Storme in my view (Storme is not bad, but doesnt have the elegance of the Dicor!)

On the biking side, The First Gen CBZ vs CBZ Xtreme.
2000rpm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 17:51   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

For me it has to be the Zen. The first gen Jellybean was such a nice looking car. Maruti spoilt it with subsequent facelifts and then Estilo sporting the Zen badge was a cardinal sin!

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-e5fab17d13143257c1bda5e585586696.jpg

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-images-8.jpeg

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-estilo1443570443.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 17:56   #13
BHPian

2nd gen dzire was much better than the 3rd gen one. The 3rd gen feels like a go kart, hasn't got any weight to it plus it comes with a smaller fuel tank. I am not a fan of the dashboard and speedo gauge layout as well.

Looks can be deceiving sometimes tbh.
Rshrey22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 18:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr10forever View Post
Damn! You beat me to it

The first thought that came to mind after seeing the thread was the Pajero and what have they done to it with the Pajero Sport (no offence whatsoever to PS owners).

Few more classic examples below (again, with no offence to any owners of any of these cars, please )

The original Bolero was matchless when it came to neat, boxy, and classic design:
Name:  B1.png
Views: 22441
Size:  1.01 MBName:  B2.png
Views: 22245
Size:  527.3 KB

The Safari and then the Storme:
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-s1.jpgWhen the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-s2.jpg
cool_dube is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 18:59   #15
BHPian

Previous gen Audi Q7 was much much better than the current gen & I am not even considering the 4.2L TDi (with 800Nm torque IIRC) which was available with the previous gen.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks