Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2019, 19:12   #16
BHPian

Re: When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model

May I mention the Baleno? Though the rear tailights of the first gen Baleno were not to my liking, the engine was nice and I dreamt of having a modded one someday. Current one though a hot seller is a tin can.
Avinash_R is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 21:01   #17
BHPian

Right off the top of my head:

1. Santro- The Santro Xing still doesn't look out of place among today's cars. Not a great performer, but if I base my judgement purely on looks, the new Santro is no match for the Xing.

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-img_20190208_064704.jpg

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-images-2.jpg

2. Zen- Don't need to say anything about this. D-BHPian Leoshashi has elaborated it really well.

3. Baleno- No clue why they kept the name. The hatchback is not even close to the sedan in terms of looks or performance, and is easily one of the worst looking cars on our roads today. In fact when it first came out, for a long time I thought it was the new Swift (atleast then it would've sold more). Why they'd name it the Baleno is simply beyond me.

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-images-3.jpg

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-images-4.jpg

4. BMW 3 Series- The e46 was undoubtedly the best BMW 3 Series generation ever, and when they could've risen upwards from that point, they brought the e90 and ruined it. Like one BHPian said on another thread, looking at the current generation BMWs, "They are simply going from "Bimmer to Bummer".

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-images-6.jpg

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-images-5.jpg

5. Tata Safari- Back when Safari was sold as the Safari Dicor, I dreamt of owning it one day. Won't say the same about the Storme though.

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-tata_safari.jpg

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-images-8.jpg

Source of photographs: Google

Last edited by boniver : 13th May 2019 at 21:22. Reason: adding source
boniver is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 21:50   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post

The original Bolero was matchless when it came to neat, boxy, and classic design:
Attachment 1875846
The Armada looked better than the Bolero

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-1995mahindraarmada6.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 22:17   #19
BHPian

Pulsar 220. The original version with the DTS-Fi engine was such a pleasure to ride. Great in gear acceleration and a lip smacking torque curve. They later killed it with going backwards in time with a carb setup. Although it had 1ps more power but the meaty powerband just wasn't there.

I am going to hold on to my DTS-Fi for as long as I can.
niteshbids is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 22:18   #20
BHPian

Figo is it for me..

The Ist gen figo was an excellent package lacking only in power. I have the Figo Diesel for the last 9yrs. And then I test drove the new Figo and Aspire 2-3 times. I was disappointed. Gone is the low seating, the steering feel. The handling was good but not upto the old Figo's level. The steering feel and handling combo of the old Figo is tough to recreate. It simply didnt feel like a Ford car. I wish they had got the Ford Fiesta hatch instead.
Deep Blue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 22:28   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
2nd gen dzire was much better than the 3rd gen one. The 3rd gen feels like a go kart, hasn't got any weight to it plus it comes with a smaller fuel tank. I am not a fan of the dashboard and speedo gauge layout as well.

Looks can be deceiving sometimes tbh.
For me the 1st generation dzire looks the best. Maybe because of the proportionate dimensions.
Dhruba_Nazira is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 23:20   #22
BHPian

SS80 DX, 1985
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-m800_ss80_dx.jpg
from BhPian royamrit (Restored! 1985 Maruti 800 (SS80), A/C Deluxe)

Versus Alto 800, 2019
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-alto-800-2019.jpg

Honda Accord: sixth generation v6 had all the power available to tap while the subsequent generations got heavily programmed for fuel economy.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 13th May 2019 at 23:22.
Thermodynamics is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 02:45   #23
BHPian

While this may seem like an unpopular opinion and may be influenced more by the memories, it has to be the Esteem for me!

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-i815.jpg

It was just downhill after this model. Even the facelift was a disappoint. The Swift Dzire was the successor of this car and while I own that too, and absolutely love it, it never matched soul of the good old Esteem!
bansal.sushant is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 05:20   #24
BHPian

How could we leave Q7 from this list, previous generation Q7 was a legend with it's majestic looks & imposing road presence. In fact, it became first choice for movie stars & big wig politicos. I recently drove this petrol Q7 in US, although it's no scorcher, still it's amazing to drive.
Current generation Q7 is no match for it & it reflects in sales.
Acharya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 06:21   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

1. Hyundai Santro! How on earth did they manage to screw the design of the car to such an extent is beyond my comprehension. Especially when they have otherwise always been quite futuristic and spot on with their design language.

2. Toyota Fortuner: The new car is good too and is certainly better loaded than the 1st generation model. But I still love the masculine design of the 1st generation model. The new car looks like a Chinese rip off to me, confusing from all angles.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 07:37   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

1. Early 1990s M800 > Face-lifted M800 and Alto

I felt that the earlier batches of M800 felt better built and more fun to drive. May be the Alto K10 had more power but something was missing still and I'm not able to pin point what it was.

2. Ford
Ikon 1.3L Petrol > 2010 Figo 1.2L Petrol
Fiesta 1.6L Petrol > Global Fiesta 1.5L Petrol
2010 Figo > 2015 Figo / Aspire

3. Esteem > Dzire
Again a personal choice and I'm going against the market here. I liked the M1000 and Esteem but hated the Dzire. The sleek design and rev happy engine of the Esteem was much desirable than the ugly duckling commuter the Dzire was.
kiku007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 08:52   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
How could we leave Q7 from this list, previous generation Q7 was a legend with it's majestic looks & imposing road presence. In fact, it became first choice for movie stars & big wig politicos.
Totally agreed on the Q7 . Old one was gangster, while the new one looks like a staid station-wagon .

Here's one more for the offroaders who will always prefer the MM550's solid axle suspension over the Thar's independent front which can break, is expensive to fix and offers lesser articulation. Two threads on the same topic are here & here:
When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-11.jpg

When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model-12.jpg
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 09:42   #28
BHPian

1. Oh and i guess everyone forgot the Ford Fiesta.
The Fiesta classic used to sell like hot cakes and when ford introduced the dragon eye themed fiesta, Killed it.

2. Hero Honda CBZ to Hero Xtreme - though complete design was different, it was carried over in same lineage.

3. Tata Indigo to Manza (Only the lights didn't suit as per me),

4. Bajaj pulsar - both the generations were good looking, but i liked better the original "Definitely male" design with the round headlamp.

5. Yamaha R15 V1 vs V2: it was an evolution but V1 was far better looking.

Last edited by saikarthik : 14th May 2019 at 10:03.
saikarthik is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 09:56   #29
Team-BHP Support

I am sorry, but I can't stand the current gen WagonR. The Stingray or VXi+ wasn't a beauty queen but it looked like a car but this one is just like sheet of metals framed together without any design or any emotion.
Sheel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 09:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
Oh and i guess everyone forgot the Ford Fiesta.
The Fiesta classic used to sell like hot cakes and when ford introduced the dragon eye themed fiesta, Killed it.
Both the Fiesta's for me were good. The Fiesta Classic had cracker petrol engine and chassis to go with it and the new one looked good as well as had the 1.5 tdci and handling to go with it.
Looks wise, both looked good for their times.

The reason the new one didn't sell as much was because of the price.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed