Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2019, 23:32   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Weird feature distribution in the current Maruti-Suzuki car range

Prologue: When Suzuki started introducing its global products in India, beginning with the Swift in 2005, we saw a progressive distribution of features as we moved up the chain. For example, the cheaper Ritz lacked an Automatic Climate Control, but all models after that got. Also this meant that there was no omission of feature if say you upgraded from a Swift to SX4.

Of late, MSIL has picked up a very bad trait, which I'll try to highlight in this thread.

1. Baleno gets UV Cut glasses, but expensive models like the Vitara Brezza, Ertiga, S Cross and Ciaz don't. In this age of sunfilm ban, solutions like these are God sent in a tropical country like ours.

Weird feature distribution in the current Maruti-Suzuki car range-marutibaleno12.jpg

2. Cheaper cars like the Swift and Dzire get LED Projector Headlamps, but Vitara Brezza and the recently launched Ertiga doesn't!

Weird feature distribution in the current Maruti-Suzuki car range-2018marutiertiga08.jpg

3. What's more, the Ciaz lacks the Auto-Headlamp associated functions(like follow me home etc) which cheaper cars like the Swift, Baleno and Dzire get. Go figure!

Weird feature distribution in the current Maruti-Suzuki car range-marutibaleno09.jpg

4. Vitara Brezza and S Cross get an adjustable armrest, but cars like Ciaz and Baleno don't.

Weird feature distribution in the current Maruti-Suzuki car range-marutivitarabrezza41.jpg

5. Ciaz gets a rear AC vent, but the Flagship S Cross doesn't.

Weird feature distribution in the current Maruti-Suzuki car range-marutiscross15.jpg

6. Ignis and Baleno get puddle lamps, but more expensive cars like the S Cross, Brezza and Ciaz(IIRC) don't.

Weird feature distribution in the current Maruti-Suzuki car range-2017marutiignis19.jpg

7. Much cheaper Baleno gets a nice colour MID, but S Cross and Brezza lack it.

Weird feature distribution in the current Maruti-Suzuki car range-03.jpg

8. Ciaz gets LED fog lamps, which the flagship S Cross lacks.

Weird feature distribution in the current Maruti-Suzuki car range-15.jpg

9. Baleno gets an Auto-dimming IRVM, but the more expensive Vitara Brezza doesn't.

Weird feature distribution in the current Maruti-Suzuki car range-marutivitarabrezza34.jpg

10. Baleno gets reach and rake adjustable steering, but the more expensive Brezza and Ciaz doesn't!

Weird feature distribution in the current Maruti-Suzuki car range-marutivitarabrezza07.jpg

11. The cheaper normal Baleno gets mirrors and lamps on both sunshades. The much more expensive, Baleno RS doesn't.

Weird feature distribution in the current Maruti-Suzuki car range-sun-visor-1.jpg

There are umpteen other features which are weirdly distributed across the MSIL lineup. The owner of a more expensive Maruti would definitely feel shortchanged. Specially after the introduction of NEXA, the Maruti management looks super confused.

Request the members to point out similar anomalies in features.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st June 2019 at 15:45. Reason: Correcting small typo :)
Leoshashi is offline   (109) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 23:59   #2
BHPian

re: Weird feature distribution in the current Maruti-Suzuki car range

Auto Folding Wing Mirrors available in the Baleno but not present in any other model.

Was driving my cousin's Brezza today and had to go back, switch on the car to fold the mirrors.
Bhatia.D17 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 00:30   #3
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Completely agree with all the points mentioned. While some are definitely illogical, I think we can try to make some sense about some of the weird feature distributions done by Maruti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

1. Baleno gets UV Cut glasses, but expensive models like the Vitara Brezza, Ertiga, S Cross and Ciaz don't. In this age of sunfilm ban, solutions like these are God sent in a tropical country like ours.
Absolutely agree.

In fact the UV cut glasses should be adopted by more and more manufacturers.

Quote:
2. Cheaper cars like the Swift and Dzire get LED Projector Headlamps, but Vitara Brezza and the recently launched Ertiga doesn't!
I think this is mainly due to the fact that the Brezza when launched had a competitor in the form of 'Ford' Ecosport and not 'Hyundai' Ecosport. I am pretty sure that the facelift will fix this though.

Ditto with Ertiga. Lack of competition means that they can afford to skimp out on some features and add them at a alter stage. Just how the previous gen Ertiga never got ACC, while the Swift and Dzire had it.

Quote:
3. What's more, the Ciaz lacks the Auto-Headlamp associated functions(like follow me home etc) which cheaper cars like the Swift, Baleno and Dzire get. Go figure!
Truly weird.

Quote:
4. Vitara Brezza and S Cross get an adjustable armrest, but cars like Ciaz and Baleno don't.
While this does not make much sense, but I have observed this goof up with multiple brands.

Quote:
5. Ciaz gets a rear AC vent, but the Flagship S Cross doesn't.
I guess this can be attributed to the target audiences for these cars. The Ciaz/Alivio is a car marketed for mainly the emerging markets whereas the S-Cross is marketed in Europe as well where the cars of its size don't generally have a rear AC vent. I am in no way justifying this though.

Quote:
6. Ignis and Baleno get puddle lamps, but more expensive cars like the S Cross, Brezza and Ciaz(IIRC) don't.
Definitely could have been provided.

Quote:
7. Much cheaper Baleno gets a nice colour MID, but S Cross and Brezza lack it.
I guess this has got to do with the extent of competition which the Baleno is facing. Hyundai heavyweights being the major ones. The coloured MID quickly became one of the Baleno's USP.

The Brezza has got it easy in its segment. They could have provided it in the S-Cross though.

Quote:
8. Ciaz gets LED fog lamps, which the flagship S Cross lacks.
We may give the Ciaz the benefit of doubt as it is the newer car here.

Quote:
9. Baleno gets an Auto-dimming IRVM, but the more expensive Vitara Brezza doesn't.
Maybe attributed to Maruti being able to get away even without offering certain features, especially in a segment where Hyundai is not present.

Quote:
10. Baleno gets reach and rake adjustable steering, but the more expensive Brezza and Ciaz doesn't!
Truly weird. Even if the Baleno didn't have the reach setting, it wouldn't have affected the sales much. But a prospective Ciaz customer may not be happy with the same.

Quote:
11. The cheaper normal Baleno gets mirrors and lamps on both sunshades. The much more expensive, Baleno RS doesn't.
Cost cutting at best.

Quote:

Request the members to point out similar anomalies in features.
1. While this may not be very relevant now, I can still remember the times when the Jetta did not have automatic climate control while the Vento used to have it. While the Jetta's interiors have always been staid, the lack of ACC robbed it of opulence as well. This became even more visible if the car was either the Trendline or the Comfortline.

Weird feature distribution in the current Maruti-Suzuki car range-vwjettatsi06.jpg

2. One recent example can be given of the Creta vis-vis the Elite i20. The list of goof ups can be observed in the official review of the Creta-

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

Allow me to touch upon some of the goof-ups:

• Rear disc brakes were offered on the i20 & Verna at one time. Today, even the premium-priced Creta makes do with lame drum brakes at the back.
• No auto-headlamps, steering reach adjustment or cooled glovebox, all of which the substantially cheaper i20 gets. The Elite i20 also has 2 more speakers & an electrochromatic mirror. In the Creta, you have to manually select day / night mode on the IRVM. How irritating.
• Walk up to the Elite i20 and its mirrors fold out (sensing the smartkey). Lock the i20 and the ORVMs fold in. Creta? Nope, no auto-folding mirrors.
• You'll pay 1.5 million on-the-road for the Creta petrol or diesel automatic SX+. At that price, you get merely 2 airbags. Your doors won't auto-lock as you drive away, and the steering feels hard because it isn't leather-wrapped!! Your seatbelts aren't height-adjustable and neither can you adjust the meter console's illumination level. Look up and you'll see fixed grab handles staring back at you.
• Features we'd expect for this $$$: An adjustable driver armrest, FE & DTE readings on the MID, vanity lights (sunvisor), illuminated power window buttons, cruise control, sunroof, gas struts to hold the bonnet up etc. All absent.
• Oddly, the automatic variant gets a 60:40 splitting rear seat & ISOFIX child seat mounts, but the top-end SX(O) MT doesn't. The SX(O) owner buys a higher variant with less kit?
• Whoever decided that the Petrol MT & Diesel AT shouldn't be made available in the top-end SX(O) trim really didn't have a clue about market trends.

While the facelift Creta with the updated tail lamps and ventilated seats has addressed many of the above short comings, weird feature distribution still holds true for the Creta.
AYP is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 00:34   #4
BHPian

I see this hyundai too.

Elite i20 gets steering reach adjustment, Verna doesn't.

Verna gets Automatic in top end variant, Creta doesn't.
pseudo_coder is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 10:05   #5
BANNED

Suzuki do a lot of parts sharing between their models, but is a company who treats every model with its own design. For other manufacturers, you can see the cars from A segment to D segment having the same "face'. But Suzuki don't generally use a common design language which is a good thing. The issue pointed out here can be considered as an outcome of that policy. An independent team may be working on a model's design and features. (Once it is finalised, they may think of how many parts can be shared between their models and that is why you are seeing the same window switches from A segment to C segment! )

Last edited by romeomidhun : 18th May 2019 at 10:32.
Old 18th May 2019, 10:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

OT - if you want features in your Maruti, seems like Baleno is the car to get then.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 11:08   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I think Maruti Suzuki has never been worried about which car you buy in thier range. As long as you purchase a Maruti car, they are happy.

I believe when they look at features for a car , they don't look at what other cars in their stable have, they look at what the chief competitors have and then decide accordingly. This might explain this uneven spread of features. They won't mind you buying the Swift over say the Brezza( just as an example) because it had auto head lamps. But they don't want you to go buy a Ecosport instead of a Brezza.
Rajeevraj is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 11:08   #8
Team-BHP Support

Rear fog lamps in Xylo but not in Scorpio, what would you say...they all act weird.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 11:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatia.D17 View Post
Auto Folding Wing Mirrors available in the Baleno but not present in any other model.
Sorry for going Off-Topic but is the auto folding feature part of the facelift? I don't seem to have it in my 2015 unit.
Old 18th May 2019, 12:04   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking at the models discussed above, there could be only one probable cause.

Models like the Baleno, Ignis and S-cross are more like international models that are sold in Japan and Europe.

Whereas Ertiga, Brezza and Ciaz are more like developing market cars, especially Brezza which is an Indian specific model.

Reach adjustable steering wheel, puddle lamps are a given for developed markets, whereas rear A/c vents in small cars are more like an Asian market thing.
DicKy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 12:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav_2502 View Post
is the auto folding feature part of the facelift? I don't seem to have it in my 2015 unit.
Yes, it is part of the facelift and available from Delta Model.
Bhatia.D17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 13:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I think Maruti Suzuki has never been worried about which car you buy in thier range. As long as you purchase a Maruti car, they are happy.

I believe when they look at features for a car , they don't look at what other cars in their stable have, they look at what the chief competitors have and then decide accordingly. This might explain this uneven spread of features. They won't mind you buying the Swift over say the Brezza( just as an example) because it had auto head lamps. But they don't want you to go buy a Ecosport instead of a Brezza.
Couldn't have put it better!

The truth is they don't have much to worry about by putting a few features in the next car in the lineup,because the cars being all priced very close,Maruti isn't losing a lot if the customer buys a cheaper car, but gains more if they upgrade. Customers can be adamant for a certain feature and may end up paying more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatia.D17 View Post
Yes, it is part of the facelift and available from Delta Model.
OT- I couldn't find any mention of it on the Nexa website. Is it sure whether the feature was added by the dealer or it came from the factory?
Abhinav_2502 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 13:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

1. Ciaz and S-Cross from Nexa get Cruise Control from Delta model onwards, but Ignis and Baleno don't, even after the MY2019 updates.

2. Ertiga Petrol gets a Colored MID in all variants but only in the top most model in Baleno.

3. IIRC, the S-Cross, Baleno etc. get Rear Washer-Wiper-Defogger from Delta onwards, while Ignis and cars from Arena range get it only in Top-1 and Top-most models.

4. Also, our Baleno Delta gets Auto Climate Control, Power Folding and Adjustable ORVMs, while ACC is only available in Ignis Alpha and Auto Folding Mirrors are lacking in most Arena cars (Celerio, WagonR etc.).

I just wish Maruti Suzuki made a few features standard on all variants from above the base model.
AdityaDeane is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 13:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav_2502 View Post
OT- I couldn't find any mention of it on the Nexa website. Is it sure whether the feature was added by the dealer or it came from the factory?
There is a mention about the Auto Folding ORVM's in the "Exterior and Interior" Category. I think you may have just missed it.

Attaching a Screenshot of the same for Delta Variant.
Attached Thumbnails
Weird feature distribution in the current Maruti-Suzuki car range-screenshot_20190518132916.jpg  

Bhatia.D17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 13:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
1. Ciaz and S-Cross from Nexa get Cruise Control from Delta model onwards, but Ignis and Baleno don't, even after the MY2019 updates.

3. IIRC, the S-Cross, Baleno etc. get Rear Washer-Wiper-Defogger from Delta onwards, while Ignis and cars from Arena range get it only in Top-1 and Top-most models.

4. Also, our Baleno Delta gets Auto Climate Control, Power Folding and Adjustable ORVMs, while ACC is only available in Ignis Alpha and Auto Folding Mirrors are lacking in most Arena cars (Celerio, WagonR etc.).
S-Cross Delta did not get cruise control, rear wash wipe in the pre-facelift model.

Delta Baleno was so well loaded as compared to pre-facelift Delta S-Cross! They could have at least given the rear wash wipe!
sinharishi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks