Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2019, 14:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Weird feature distribution in the current Maruti-Suzuki car range

I guess its all about price point. They (manufacturers) do their research, and have a fair idea how much customers are ready to pay for a particular product. Accordingly, they add or delete the features in the product.
Old 18th May 2019, 14:55   #17
Bee
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

1. Baleno gets UV Cut glasses, but expensive models like the Vitara Brezza, Ertiga, S Cross and Ciaz don't. In this age of sunfilm ban, solutions like these are God sent in a tropical country like ours.
And after the facelift, they removed the UV cut glass from zeta and now its only available in alpha model. This ruined my buying decision to some extent. With the UV cut glass, baleno zeta would've been the most vfm offering with sufficient creature comforts!
Bee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 15:10   #18
BHPian

Guess it’s all about how you want to spec the vehicle in it’s intended category. Hence, may be within the company’s portfolio though you find difference in the features, things could be different when you pitch it against the nearest competitor in the same segment.
vinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 15:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatia.D17 View Post
There is a mention about the Auto Folding ORVM's in the "Exterior and Interior" Category. I think you may have just missed it.

Attaching a Screenshot of the same for Delta Variant.
Thanks for pointing it out.

I guess they haven't updated the PDF file, which is where I looked. Sorry for the confusion. Also is there any way to install this in older cars without voiding warranty?

Last edited by Abhinav_2502 : 19th May 2019 at 15:24. Reason: Adding a query.
Old 19th May 2019, 17:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

How I wish Maruti had given a better build quality to Baleno! In each of your point, you point out that feature is present in Baleno but not in others. CVT, UV glass, LED lamps etc. Wonder why Maruti gives so much in one car and then makes it all back with thin panels.
ani_meher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 09:33   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Weird feature distribution in the current Maruti-Suzuki car range

What really, really gets my goat is the "rear defogger" which is such an important safety feature.

The base variants of many ~15 lakh rupee cars won't have them. However, the same manufacturer's 7-lakh rupee hatchback / sedan top variant offers that. In such a safety conscious world, how can you leave a 500-rupee rear defogger for the top variant only?
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 11:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What really, really gets my goat is the "rear defogger" which is such an important safety feature.

The base variants of many ~15 lakh rupee cars won't have them. However, the same manufacturer's 7-lakh rupee hatchback / sedan top variant offers that. In such a safety conscious world, how can you leave a 500-rupee rear defogger for the top variant only?
Defogger and rear wiper are two important safety feature for any hatchback. My previous Innova did not have rear wiper and it was scary driving it during monsoon on a highway. Sad part is you cannot get these added aftermarket and even dealers discourage you from adding same.
PrideRed is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 12:04   #23
BHPian

Not to forget, the top end Corolla Altis Diesel that costs North of 20 lacs on road comes WITHOUT an infotainment system. One needs to buy separately at dealership level. Base variants was something still acceptable for once; but TOP variant?

Quote:

Not only that, its a calculated presumption that Auto Headlamps and similar sensor based gimmicky things cost less to implement than regular (manual) ones. If I were to say have only auto headlamp (and no manual) option, I'd need to put in a Rs. 150-300 component, and saving on a sturdy high quality switchlever that needs to handle the abuse over say 5-6 years at least. Price I stated is slightly higher than what my neighborhood electronic component shop sells a decent quality LDR sensor for. Higher grade sensors might cost more, but again they will be purchased in bulk.

Last edited by PrasunBannerjee : 20th May 2019 at 12:08. Reason: added Altis variant goofup
Old 20th May 2019, 12:19   #24
BHPian

Quote:

In such a safety conscious world, how can you leave a 500-rupee rear defogger for the top variant only?
Baleno Delta has the rear defogger but my Dzire VXI, which is priced higher, doesn't. In north Indian foggy winters, the heating system is pretty much useless without it.

I would rather have the rear defogger than the rear AC vent (since I am always on driver's seat).
DaptChatterjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 14:30   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
suzuki is a company who treats every model with its own design.
I agree. A small detail that often goes overlooked is how the new Swift and dzire both have different ACCs to suit the respective car's character, when essentially they're the same car. I haven't seen any other car manufacturer do it. For example, VW has the same climate control panels in Ameo, Polo and vento.
Attached Thumbnails
Weird feature distribution in the current Maruti-Suzuki car range-images-4.jpeg  

Weird feature distribution in the current Maruti-Suzuki car range-40180_maruti_suzuki_swift_interior011.jpg  

Kabeer_ts is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 15:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Defogger and rear wiper are two important safety feature for any hatchback
If your car lacks both, usage of RainX can give some cover for the lost feature during rains. My Brio lacked both and RainX been a saviour during coastal pours.
Old 20th May 2019, 16:59   #27
BHPian

Nice thread! I too was planning to write on the topic but you beat me to it.
Can we have threads for other manufacturers too? It will open up a lot of information. They cannot think that they can get away with anything that they do. I do hope they see the threads and realise their mistakes.

Adding some more points on weird feature redistribution:
-The Brezza gets a cooled glovebox (that too only in the Z+ variant) whereas the S-Cross and Ciaz do not! Come on Maruti! For India at least, this is definitely a useful addition. No dual-tone colours for other cars too.
-Only the cheaper Ignis gets a proper adjustable MID (with a proper button for scrolling) but all others have to make do with fiddly stalks and scrolls.
-If you observe, Maruti now offers front fog lamps (rear fogs were already deleted during the Swift/Dzire/Ertiga facelifts, somewhere in 2014/15 IIRC) only in the top one or two variants (Swift, Dzire, Brezza, Baleno, Ignis, Ertiga, S-Cross....). In earlier cars, they were offered in mid-variants too.
- Inexplicably, only the petrol variants of the Ertiga and Ciaz get the fantastic MID shared with the Baleno, and a temperature gauge. Further, Only the AT gets ESP and hill hold.
-Only the Ignis Alpha looks like a decent buy for the money. The Zeta does not even get automatic climate control or a height adjustable driver’s seat!

About feature deletions and variant rejigs:
-Deleting the temperature gauge and height-adjustable seatbelts from the Swift and Dzire! One of my biggest grouses.
-Removing adjustable headrests from all variants, and providing rear wash/wipe and defogger only on the ZXi variant of the WagonR! It was earlier available on the VXi.
-Maruti no longer offers a full size alloy spare on any model!!! Was this the same company which offered Swift ZXi owners a free alloy swap? The previous generation Swift, Dzire, SX4 and Ertiga got a full sized alloy spare wheel!
-The Baleno Zeta variant loses out on a leather wrapped steering, auto headlamps, driver armrest and UV cut glasses (now only available on the Alpha).
-An auto dimming IRVM was available on the pre facelift S-Cross Zeta. Not so with the facelift.
-The facelifted Alto does not get fog lamps even as an option!
-The earlier Swift V variant had electrically folding ORVMs, fog lamps, 60:40 split seats and rear adjustable headrests. Not in the current model.

Last edited by artemis_fowl : 20th May 2019 at 17:03.
artemis_fowl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 19:53   #28
BANNED

While other car manufacturers go with family face, Maruti goes with family 'power window switches' . It would have been better if they differentiate the different segments with different power window switches.
Old 20th May 2019, 20:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

This is a well thought out thread. Indeed, Maruti gambles a lot with respect to features on the cars they produce. It’s more or less like omitting or adding randomly to see if they are segment first or not. My Brezza ZDI+ has features but I’d like to call them all basic and available in almost all products across range from Maruti stable

1) Auto AC
2) Auto folding mirrors (not when you lock it manually)
3) Armrest
4) Well, not really a fan of multicolor dial outer ring on the odo. Rather I’d have been happy if they’d given the ones from Baleno which are very much intuitive.
5) Button start & keyless entry

These are so common across range and products from my standpoint.

Honestly Brezza commands a premium for its looks and to an extent build quality and not much with respect to features. I’m happy with the car as I’m not much into these features but wouldn’t have felt bad if they were part of the package
Old 20th May 2019, 21:45   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
While other car manufacturers go with family face, Maruti goes with family 'power window switches' . It would have been better if they differentiate the different segments with different power window switches.
I have been seeing this topic of power window switches being discussed in multiple places. What I am curious to know is, how should this be differentiated between segments and cars. From my personal perspective, I can think of providing a backlight to the switches as one difference. Beyond this, I dont understand why this aspect is being harped about all over the place. Do you want bigger switches for bigger cars? Or more chrome for bigger cars? After all, its a switch. And neither have I heard of the switches failing in any of the cars I have had or owned so let's not get to the usual build quality debate. For me, the only functional upgrade would be backlit switches and beyond that, I can't imagine differentiating across segments.
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed