Team-BHP - LHD Ford EcoSport AWD spotted in Coimbatore
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   LHD Ford EcoSport AWD spotted in Coimbatore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/209452-lhd-ford-ecosport-awd-spotted-coimbatore.html)

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

LHD Ford EcoSport AWD spotted in Coimbatore-img_20190518_165338.jpg

An all-wheel-drive version of the Ford EcoSport with left-hand drive has been spotted testing in Coimbatore. It could be a locally-built car for export markets. The probability of an all-wheel-drive version being launched in India is low, but you never know.

LHD Ford EcoSport AWD spotted in Coimbatore-img_20190518_165420.jpg

The EcoSport 4WD looks identical to the front-wheel-drive version sold in India. It has the same twin-slat grille with wraparound headlamps that have L-shaped LED daytime running lights. However, it does not have a tailgate-mounted spare wheel. The badging on the rear indicates that this is the SE trim. It has silver alloy wheels and disc brakes on all four wheels. Like the India-spec EcoSport, this car also has the floating touchscreen infotainment system.

LHD Ford EcoSport AWD spotted in Coimbatore-img_20190518_165427.jpg

The EcoSport 4WD is currently sold in countries like Brazil and the UK. In Brazil, it is powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that produces 168 BHP and 202 Nm of torque. When running on Ethanol, the engine puts out 174 BHP and 221 Nm of torque. It comes mated to a 6-speed automatic gearbox. However, the SE trim is offered with a 1.5-litre petrol engine with a choice of a 5-speed manual or 6-speed automatic transmission and does not get all-wheel drive.

LHD Ford EcoSport AWD spotted in Coimbatore-img_20190518_170110.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

The AWD EcoSport is manufactured in India for export purpose. An import is thus not required, though on paper it may be the case.

Ford has been toying the idea of introducing AWD trim in Indian market for quite some time as no major work is required for product testing. Looking the the XUV 300 getting picked up by buyers though it turns out to be the costliest CSUV, Ford may introduce it soon for the Indian masses to maintain the differentiation.

We all know about AWD Duster and its sales over Nissan. EcoSport AWD may happen alongside introduction of Euro VI spec models next year.

Well, this is a sort of music to my ears. In another couple of years time, I may well be upgrading my 2012 Figo Diesel which has done over 1 Lakh KM now. My first preference is always EcoSport. And if they indeed launch the AWD version, it is closer to being a done deal for me. But pricing surely is going to be a worry if it goes over 15 Lakhs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TusharK (Post 4591561)
An all-wheel-drive version of the Ford EcoSport with left-hand drive has been spotted testing in Coimbatore.

Well Well! Someone has managed to take a pic of these mules. I spotted a blue coloured LHD Ecosport with SE and 4WD badging while driving down to Bangalore from Coimbatore on 17th night. It zoomed past me around the Avinashi stretch and it was comfortably doing 140+ speeds. Because of rain and truck traffic, he had to slow down once in a while and I could catch up with him. Didn't attempt to take any pic as it was dark and I was the only person inside the car. So, what is cooking in Ford's kitchen?

One more difference is the wiper pattern. It is the Honda Civic clap hands type as opposed to them having a similar sweep direction

Mostly this car is for export.

In today's date in India a petrol AWD crossover will be apt.

At-least Ford can sell some limited number of the 2L petrol AWD like VW did with the GTI and Skoda did with the VRS.

Plus the main advantage of Ford is, this car is made in their Chennai plant. So they can keep a competitive pricing too! Once the initial stock is over, they can keep this car for made to order bookings only.

Ford, you have given us awesome cars like the Ikon 1.6, Fiesta 1.6, old gen Figo, you have started the sub 4 meter crossover segment with the Ecosport and it's still one of the best in the market. The current gen Figo/Aspire are one of the most fun to drive cars available in the market in today's date. The Ford Endeavour 3.2 as a whole is an excellent package.

After all these we can at-least expect an Ecosport 2L petrol AWD from you! :D

There appears to be a dashcam connected. I guess they're recording the tests for analysis. If this is actually going to launch in India at a reasonable price this is great because as told in a post above a petrol AWD compact SUV is something that appeals to many in the current situation.

Bottom line to Ford: Surprise many (including me) who still think all of this is too good to be true, by launching the car without robbing it of essential gear!:)

+1 to Samba's post and if Ford gets the pricing right(under 15L on-road), then the EcoSport 4WD will be the only compact SUV which will have actual relevance in the segment and I'd be going for this car happily even if it is made to order. 4WD and Diesel would be a proper combination. The same thing happened before EcoSport Signature and EcoSport S variants were launched.
The rear disc brake is also present in the last two pictures.

On the contrary, Ford keeps juggling features on the EcoSport almost every alternate month. This is a major deterrent towards good sales of Ford cars. I hope this time they maintain a consistent and useful feature set so that buyers do not get confused.

It's most likely a US spec EcoSport. You can have SE with 4WD in US. Notice the alloys are same as the one's available in the US.

Here is a customized link for the same:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TusharK (Post 4591561)
The EcoSport 4WD looks identical to the front-wheel-drive version sold in India.

It looks identical, but if it's really US spec, then there must be some difference at least in bumper because the length is different. To me, the bottom part of front bumper (where the grill bottom part meets the bumper) looks little more pronounced, may be it's just my eyes.

US spec EcoSport length is 161.3in = 4097.02mm vs 3998mm here.

EDIT: look closely - rear bumper and rear quarter panel bottom is different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentEngine (Post 4591840)
It's most likely a US spec EcoSport..

Yes it is US spec Ecosport. There is a orange part on the corner of a headlight. It is mandatory in US to have orange lights on the corner of headlights.

Ford India understands the value & branding benefits that are offered by low-volume editions catering to the enthusiast market. Case in point = Fiesta 1.6S, Figo Sports, EcoSport S & more.

It would be awesome to see Ford experiment with an AWD here. Currently, the best choice is the woefully outdated yet surprisingly competent Duster AWD.

No harm in hoping :).

Yup, this is definitely the US spec export model. I've seen these roll on the production line. At first I didn't like them, but then this style started to grow on me and now I like it better than the Indian version with the rear mounted spare wheel.
It's not just the outer body, there are differences in the inner trim also.
Inner trim is almost identical to ecosport S(of course there is the LHD toRHD conv.) With the silver rings around the meters in the instrument cluster and bronze inserts in the door pad. I think all The export models had them from the beginning. The smoky headlamps and the dark-silver alloy wheels have all been borrowed from the export models.
The export models also have a 2.0L petrol engine option esp. for the AWD version. I don't remember if it was an Ecoboost engine or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4591952)
......It would be awesome to see Ford experiment with an AWD here. Currently, the best choice is the woefully outdated yet surprisingly competent Duster AWD.
No harm in hoping :).

Just so I would say - no harm in hoping! But baffling all the same. M&M have been offering the 4wd option (albeit an archaic system!) on their models forever and selling to our forces too forever.

So its not as though the market (& buyers) are unaware of the benefits of the system. So why haven't other players joined the fray? Is it just in-built inertia on the part of mfrs - that these don't fly off the shelves like their 2WD counterparts? Same old, same old, with bean counters calling the shots and forget about risk-taking and development:)

Like you said, it would be awesome to see Ford experiment.......

In 2023 our Santro AT will be 15 years old. In 2022 our Grand Vitara will be 15 years old. I foresee delays in getting spares for the Grand Vitara and to a lesser extent for the Santro also.
Ideally I would love to have a car that is compact and powerful and has AWD with an AT gearbox. Full safety kit will also be a must.

I hope that Ford launches the Ecosport AWD AT model by then. Or Hyundai surprises me with an AWD AT version of the new Creta.

Needless to say if Maruti re-launches the Grand Vitara I will buy it with my eyes closed.

This is the US/Brazil spec 4WD Ecosport indeed. Have seen this (left hand drive , all wheel drive) being tested mostly between Coimbatore and Krishnagiri stretch at least from 2 years. :) I heard from the Ford official that this model will not be introduced to Indian market. The price factor owing to the added features and heavier configuration tagged with a lesser demand seems to be the major deterrent.