Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2019, 11:18   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 AMT discontinued

I'd recommend AMT owners to contact Mahindra about a paid conversion to Manual Transmission once their warranty periods are done with. No matter how much the company promises to support the AMT version, there will inevitably be an end-point to the promised support.

If not for the AMT imbroglio (with all its attendant clutch issues), the TUV 300 as a product has stabilized by now. It is niggle-free at this point and can serve its owners very well for a long time to come.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 08:37   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

No offence to the AMT owners, but it had no business being offered in a 10-lakh vehicle. Sure, a jerky & slow transmission is alright in a 4 - 5 lakh rupee hatchback, but not in a million-rupee car.

Also, we must never forget the golden rule with Tata & Mahindra. If they ever launch any new technology (or car for that matter), give them 2 years to sort all the niggles out before buying it. Else, you are a tester for the company without being on their payroll .

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I won't be surprised if we hear no clutch plate available etc in a few years from now.
Your clutch plate is the same as the MT version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Its a perfectly robust system
Hardly robust. Everyone from Maruti to Tata to Mahindra has suffered AMT issues. Sharing a related post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Have heard of multiple problems & failures in Maruti's AMT too. I think overall, while an AMT is a cheap & effective Automatic, it is still an imperfect solution.

Would never buy an AMT. Might be a simpler technology, but its problems are even more diverse than the DSG which basically breaks down. AMTs have a variety of issues, in addition to the jerkiness & slow response. Related threads:

Celerio AMT failure (AMT Failure in my Maruti Celerio! EDIT: Issue resolved)

Maruti's AMT woes

TUV300 AMT Problems (TUV300 AMT problems & Mahindra's inability to solve them)

Alto AMT problem (Alto K10 AMT problem: Gearbox moving to 'N' unexpectedly)

Tata AMT issues (Tata Tiago/Tigor AMT: Driveability issues)

AMT makes car jump ahead (Maruti Alto: AMT makes the car suddenly "jump" ahead)
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 09:31   #18
BHPian

When Mahindra launched its AMT, i was in a state of disbelief. Mahindra AMT's are supplied by Ricardo while Maruti and Tata buy it from Magneti. I thought it was an unnecessary move from Mahindra. They could have adopted Magneti systems instead of re-inventing the wheel.

I know that even Maruti owners (particularly Celerio) are facing issues with AMT but i think the issues are far less pronounced there. Mahindra should have taken Magneti's unit for the TUV.

However, i salute Hyundai for developing its own AMT unit which has been praised by almost all. I think they have the technical capability, which Mahindra lacks (This is just perception based, no offence to anyone).
tarik.arora is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 22:56   #19
BHPian

Came across this while searching for converting AMT to MT. Different country and different car. But, the parts required seems simpler (at least to my non-automobile mind). I could be completely wrong.
Any views?

https://m.alibaba.com/product/606766...n-Kit-For.html
Old 6th June 2019, 11:16   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
....Hardly robust. Everyone from Maruti to Tata to Mahindra has suffered AMT issues. Sharing a related post:.....
While I am tempted to agree with you where our own mfrs (domestic majors as well as those who have set up shop here) are concerned, I concur with the view expressed earlier (by procrj) that it was probably M&M's casual & laid-back attitude (shared by other mfrs too I should add) that did the AMT in. As the history of the mechanism indicates, it's a robust system and is quite capable of handling shaft torque upto a 1000 n-m. And its various derivatives (including the popular DCT version used by high-end cars) are still popular worldwide - their niggles not-withstanding!

Perhaps the same tired old story, with the bean counters holding the purse strings & curtailing R&D funding - not wanting to pour good money down with the bad.

Last edited by shashanka : 6th June 2019 at 11:23.
Old 14th June 2019, 20:27   #21
BHPian

Considering the silent recall of AMT to flash the latest software, are they intending to reintroduce the AMT?

They are even taking customer feedback, that was absent in the previous 2 services, also aims at that step.
Old 14th June 2019, 22:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu13uk View Post
Considering the silent recall of AMT to flash the latest software, are they intending to reintroduce the AMT?

They are even taking customer feedback, that was absent in the previous 2 services, also aims at that step.
I guess they might reintroduce it for sure, XUV300 is going to have it soon, and so is the Marazzo, even though only as a Stop-Gap Arrangement till next year, as we've heard till now. Also, M&M knows that there is a huge demand for Diesel Automatics and automatic cars in general now due to the increasing vehicular traffic in the cities and even smaller towns on some days.
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 10:41   #23
BHPian

https://gaadiwaadi.com/mahindra-tuv3...mt-launch/amp/

My worst nightmare came true, AMT discontinued for TUV. Good thing I took 2 years extended warranty. I hope AMT spares will be available for TUV even after it being discontinued.
Old 25th June 2019, 11:04   #24
BHPian

Is it possible to convert an AMT vehicle to a manual transmission? If yes, how complicated is the process?

If conversion is relatively easy, some people might consider that option if availability of spare parts dry up.

Most Viewed