Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2019, 11:27   #1
BHPian

Mahindra TUV300 AMT discontinued

Has Mahindra discontinued the AMT version of the TUV? Saw it on a FB post and then checked their site quickly and couldn't find the AMT in their variants.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 11:43   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Has Mahindra discontinued the AMT version of the TUV? Saw it on a FB post and then checked their site quickly and couldn't find the AMT in their variants.
Yes, it has been discontinued. One of the usual automotive sites even mentioned explicitly that the AMT proved too troublesome for Mahindra to handle and that's why it was discontinued in the facelift.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 13:25   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Yes, it has been discontinued.
I feel like a Guinea pig now. My purchases are usually on reputed and proven models, and this time I made a mistake. Wonder if we will have an option to convert to a manual transmission, albeit a paid one for longevity of our cars. I won't be surprised if we hear no clutch plate available etc in a few years from now.
diyguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 21:58   #4
BHPian

AMT stopped? So, going forward, they are least bothered to update the software. That means, the already low resale value dropped further.
Is there any option of retrofitting it with manual gearshift and a clutch?
Old 16th May 2019, 10:28   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I feel like a Guinea pig now. My purchases are usually on reputed and proven models, and this time I made a mistake. Wonder if we will have an option to convert to a manual transmission, albeit a paid one for longevity of our cars. I won't be surprised if we hear no clutch plate available etc in a few years from now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu13uk View Post
AMT stopped? So, going forward, they are least bothered to update the software. That means, the already low resale value dropped further.
Is there any option of retrofitting it with manual gearshift and a clutch?
I don't know what to say except that I feel so bad for AMT version owners. I was chatting with a professional driver recently and he told me that Mahindra has a track record of abruptly stopping models/versions but one could always find 3rd party supplier-made spares after Mahindra stops supplying those.

Regarding conversion of AMT to MT, I found a thread on this forum from 3 years ago where a Santro AT (Torque Converter type) was converted to Manual Transmission after the AT box was fried. He found the right FNG mechanic to do it in Pune.

Likewise, I know of one mechanic in Chennai who has done MT to AMT conversions on assorted Marutis and Nanos. I assume he could do the inverse if asked...
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 15:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can understand your plight. At times our decisions can go wrong. But rest assured, each supplier has to make a provision for spare parts for at least 5 years from the date the model is discontinued. So for the next 5 years you need not be bothered about the clutch plate.

4 years back when I first took the test drive of TUV3OO, I was offered only the AMT on two occasions. I was quite impressed with the ease of driving an automatic. However at the back of my mind, I was always apprehensive about its longevity and reliability as this was the first time M&M was venturing into the AMT area, so I had my own doubts. So the third time I insisted on a test drive of a manual TUV3OO and when I found the manual to my liking, only then did I cut the cheque.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th May 2019 at 13:08. Reason: Typo.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 16:43   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding conversion of AMT to MT, I found a thread on this forum from 3 years ago where a Santro AT (Torque Converter type) was converted to Manual Transmission after the AT box was fried. He found the right FNG mechanic to do it in Pune.
Even if I find someone to convert the AMT to manual, I have to wait for 3 more years to ensure I do not invalidate the warranty.
Lookes like, this extended warranty is going to work both good and bad side.
Old 19th May 2019, 06:22   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, it has been discontinued. One of the usual automotive sites even mentioned explicitly that the AMT proved too troublesome for Mahindra to handle and that's why it was discontinued in the facelift.

That's a pity really. I had assumed that M&M would have the R&D depth to sort out the AMT teething problems. Its a perfectly robust system, and Lancia and Ferrari have used versions of the mechanism for their rallying/racing examples (the best proving grounds apparently) with success. Unfortunate that M&M could not get around the issues and had to scrap the feature.
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 07:21   #9
Team-BHP Support

Just a guess and I don't know how much sense it makes, but maybe AMT would come up with BS-VI engines? I know transmission and engines are two different things, but this is what I can think of. Are stocks available?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 09:25   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Unfortunate that M&M could not get around the issues and had to scrap the feature.
Lack of demand due to initial teething issues plus the general lethargy of M&M is what killed the goose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Just a guess and I don't know how much sense it makes, but maybe AMT would come up with BS-VI engines?
I doubt this as AMT is typically meant to be paired with small sized engines. BS-VI will make small diesel engine cars a lot more expensive than its petrol counterparts, which could mean lower investment in R&D. My guess is that M&M might just plonk in the AISIN auto gearbox in the petrol versions of their small cars and let the diesels run the 5/6 speed Manual transmissions. Now that M&M has the new 1.5L 4 cyl diesel doing the job on the XUV300 and the Marazzo, I doubt they will spend the time and effort to pair and fine tune the AMT box to the new engine. This would also mean that the mHawk 100 doing duty on the TUV is a one trick pony and has seen its last passenger car launch.

I am surprised that they are launching the new TUV with the same old engine and not with the new 1.5 4 cyl. Doesn't it make more sense to consolidate and deliver a product that will have greater support over longer time period as compared to just launching a cosmetic facelift? Again highlights the short term thinking of a company that is just trying to hold onto market share and not really push/expand its boundaries.
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 18:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Now that M&M has the new 1.5L 4 cyl diesel doing the job on the XUV300 and the Marazzo, I doubt they will spend the time and effort to pair and fine tune the AMT box to the new engine.
Wasn't there some news recently that Marazzo will get the conventional Automatic Transmission next year (2020) along with BS6 Diesel and Petrol variants, and till then they will launch an AMT model as a stop gap mechanism sometime to his year along with the current BS4 engine compliance? And XUV300 was also spotted with an AMT and the same was informed during the launch that AMT variants will be launched later on this year!
AdityaDeane is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 16:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I am surprised that they are launching the new TUV with the same old engine and not with the new 1.5 4 cyl. Doesn't it make more sense to consolidate and deliver a product that will have greater support over longer time period as compared to just launching a cosmetic facelift? Again highlights the short term thinking of a company that is just trying to hold onto market share and not really push/expand its boundaries.
Right, I was also expecting the new TUV 300 to launch with the new 4 cyl 1.5 engine after seeing the numerous TUV 300 test mules in and around Chennai in the last 6 months. But I guess M&M might continue the 3-pot mill for the RWD vehicles like the Bolero (power+ has it now) and TUV-300 considering they both bring in about 5K+ units per month while using the newer 4cyl one for the FWD vehicles (Marazzo and XUV 300). I think eventually the consolidation might happen after the BSVI fuel regulation kicks in and they have fair idea of how the market demands shape up for diesel compact UVs.
sathyasuri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 22:38   #13
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra TUV300 AMT discontinued

Mahindra TUV300 AMT discontinued - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 10:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

Good riddance, it was a con job anyway, it was Theon Greyjoy trying to be Jon Snow.

Mahindra as a company I feel has very short term plans with no long term vision, first the TUV300 with different engine tunes in a short span leaving a bad taste for the owners of the older engine tune, continuous problems with the AMT of the TUV and now this.
humyum is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 10:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Discontinuing as such is not a bad step. If you are not able to make it work , it is better not to sell it at all . But they have to protect the ones who have already trusted them to buy the product. Frequent clutch kit changes are the problem with Mahindra AMTs . They have to find a way to discount it to the customers or keep improving the AMTs that are already sold. If the initial AMT customers are abandoned , none of them and their friends and family , will ever set foot in a Mahindra showroom again.
padmrajravi is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks