Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2007, 12:49   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Strange question - you may as well ask if the Skoda 1.9 TDi has a 1.9L engine in it.
No reputed company would put a pretend badge indicating clearly an engine spec.

What does happen (and yes is very funny) is people putting pretend badges on their cars.
Maruti 800 ... does not have an 800 CC engine and there are several such instances. like the bmw & MB instance mentioned below ....
Old 1st February 2007, 12:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe View Post
Maruti 800 ... does not have an 800 CC engine and there are several such instances. like the bmw & MB instance mentioned below ....
But....796 = 800 (approx). Nobody would "round off" the name to a turbo badging.
Old 1st February 2007, 13:46   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The '540' does not have to mean anything more than what BMW intends it to be.
Aah yes. Very conveinient

Quote:
BMW's naming is not on the lines of what this thread started off on ...
I agree, but i bring it up as useful information to be shared with the thread starter and other readers, in addendum to what Sam mentioned in his post...

Quote:
Maruti 800 ... does not have an 800 CC engine
Please atleast grant the manufacturers 5-6cc s of grace!

cya
R

EDIT: Heres a nice thread about BMW and the naming of their cars .

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st February 2007 at 13:56.
Old 1st February 2007, 14:27   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Maruti 800 ... does not have an 800 CC engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Please atleast grant the manufacturers 5-6cc s of grace
OT: Standard Practice, so, pls let us not pick hairs on this point atleast. Just that it is easier for every one this way since the cubic capacity of an engine is an odd number [odd as in, not exactly 1L, 2L, or 800cc, 150cc etc. The actual capacities would be close to these figures].
Old 1st February 2007, 14:38   #20
BHPian

On the other hand,NOT badging 'Turbo' can lead to silly arguement's with half-intelligent spicies too!

I know a dozen people owning 'Dicor's' argue that there is no turbo in the vehicle! Infact some claim that sales representive's themselves said so!!!

Only after shoving their noses down the engine bay and (to some) the manual they agree,but ask,"why is there no turbo badge then!!!

I know this may sound like a crazy claim to some,for that i can give you the number's of some who still claim its a crdi and not turbo,and some who have realised the truth.
Old 1st February 2007, 16:43   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert fox View Post
On the other hand,NOT badging 'Turbo' can lead to silly arguement's with half-intelligent spicies too!

I know a dozen people owning 'Dicor's' argue that there is no turbo in the vehicle! Infact some claim that sales representive's themselves said so!!!

Only after shoving their noses down the engine bay and (to some) the manual they agree,but ask,"why is there no turbo badge then!!!

I know this may sound like a crazy claim to some,for that i can give you the number's of some who still claim its a crdi and not turbo,and some who have realised the truth.
Yeah and I've had a hell lot of trouble convincing people that my car , thats Sienna TD60 is infact a turbo one.....
Old 2nd February 2007, 01:16   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert fox View Post
I find this very strange actually...!
Most manufacturers of cars and other completely unrelated items do anything to to put a "turbo" badge on their product - (eg. Mach3Turbo, Turbo Pascal, TurboTax etc etc)...so why on earth did Hyundai, Tata etc decide not to expoit the T word???

cya
R
Old 2nd February 2007, 01:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I find this very strange actually...!
Most manufacturers of cars and other completely unrelated items do anything to to put a "turbo" badge on their product - (eg. Mach3Turbo, Turbo Pascal, TurboTax etc etc)...so why on earth did Hyundai, Tata etc decide not to expoit the T word???

cya
R
Have you seen the markings on their Turbo sumo?

It goes "TATA SUMO VICTA TURBO GX'...Yet some people(my own friend's even) ask "How the hell does a Sumo move like this"!!!

So i guess Turbo pascal is a easier product to explain these Turbo Rascal's!!

Cause i gave up long time ago, nowaday's i completely agree that "Dicor" is a non-Turbo! And say my Sumo is a freak piece.
Old 2nd February 2007, 07:59   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Yeah and I've had a hell lot of trouble convincing people that my car , thats Sienna TD60 is infact a turbo one.....
Yo wont belive how many people in my class argued with me few days back that the accent CRDi didnt have a turbo...

Even the owner of the car wanted to bet that his car didnt have a turbo...

HAd to open the bonnet and show them the intercooler and turbo...

Now, if you guys are thinking what is weird in some guys in class having no knowledge o0f automobiles!!!!! Its a pre-final year automobile engineeing class ...
Old 2nd February 2007, 18:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Yo wont belive how many people in my class argued with me few days back that the accent CRDi didnt have a turbo...
Well I have heard well-known tuners in BLR claim the same thing. This was a few years ago, when the Accent CRDi was first launched.
Old 2nd February 2007, 19:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...so why on earth did Hyundai, Tata etc decide not to expoit the T word???
Probably because a Turbo on a regular car is a performance enhancement while for a Common Rail Diesel is a requirement rather than an enhancement.
Old 2nd February 2007, 22:10   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Probably because a Turbo on a regular car is a performance enhancement while for a Common Rail Diesel is a requirement rather than an enhancement.

Oh - give these companies a cm and they'll take a foot. Still wonder why they havent propped up their cars image with the T badge.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks