Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2019, 18:00   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Govt to remove minimum educational qualification requirement for Driving Licence

Reminds me of an incident (we all laughed that day) way back in 2003...

On educational qualifications & the driving licence-indian-rto-office.jpg

Something similar like the above. I was waiting to collect the renewed license for my Uncle & the "agent" was instructing a bunch of folks around him to learn the road signs from a photocopied paper.

So the conversation between the agent & one dark more than middle aged person (MAP) goes in Thamizh like below...
MAP : What is this?
Agent : If at all the inspector asks about the road signs, you need to answer
MAP : But what is this used for?
Agent : You should know all this to drive a vehicle on road
MAP : Isn't it sufficient to know how to drive? Why should I learn all this?

Everyone including the agent were laughing out loud except that middle aged person. He couldn't still understand what was wrong in his question

So, this is the kind of people on the road in present day
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 18:41   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Govt to remove minimum educational qualification requirement for Driving Licence

Let me give you a somewhat different perspective.

There is very little research available showing the effects between educational qualifications (including illiteracy) and driver safety. I have come across a few attempts across the world, but in general there is very little concrete data and facts to come to any conclusions.

But for instance, the USA to date has well over 30 million people who can not read and or lack (almost all) any and all formal education. Still, most of them would be holding a driving license.

If I take my home country the Netherlands, the policy is to try and ensure as many people as possible can obtain a drivers license. Even when you have physical and or other limitations the relevant authorities will ensure you will be helped / supported.

My son is autistic and dyslexic. There is a special driving curriculum, which includes training and a special exam available for him.

People with little education and or physical/mental limitations often find themselves left out in society at large. Personally, I think as a nation, you need find ways to ensure people who are already at a disadvantage are supported, not further excluded from society. Being able to hold a driver license is part of that. Obviously, they need to be able to drive safely, but driving safely should not be connected to something arbitrary as educational qualification.

Again, I have not come across factual evidence that educational qualification has any bearing on one’s ability to drive safely. During all my years of travel all over the world I have driven in places where I do not speak the language and subsequently can’t read the traffic signs when it comes to text.

But, hey, any of you travel to any other part of Europe other than the UK and you will find yourself in the exact same position. If you can’t read Danish, you are not going to be able to make sense of some of the signs with Danish text on it.

Then again, most traffic signage is simple to interpret and doesn’t require reading, although the ability to understand numbers (e.g. speed) is a factor, obviously.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 18:51   #123
Senior - BHPian

The drivers who go crazy near toll plazas on weekends on Hassan Road or those who drive on Mysore Road are well educated and seem to work in good companies. Their education does not reflect in their behavior.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 19:08   #124
Senior - BHPian

I am in support of the decision. Wondering why a brain and literacy is required to drive a mechanical device. I think the decision should be based on number of hands and legs present in an organism to drive the vehicle.

So, I am happy with the decision and will be more happy if we have some animals driving the vehicles rather than 2 legged humans. They will have more control and they will drive more sensibly as compared to few of the current 2 legged humans.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks