Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2007, 20:38   #1
BANNED

Honda relay

The other day my friends car stalled and the mechanic figured out that the fuel pump relay had gone bad. Me and my friend went to Sundaram Honda inorder to get the relay at chennai mount road . The service guy told me that they do not sell parts across the counter. I own a maruti and I have bought parts across the counter and I got into an argument with the delaer and asked him wat was to be done . The dealer informed that the car was either to be bought to their service station or they would attend to the car at a cost .

I called the Honda helpline and they promised me to get back within 24 hrs . Nothing has happend until now and its been more than a week .

The same day i went around in the market and found an equivalent relay and got it for about rs150 .

Do we have to buy cars which dont even have a spare parts dealer ?
Old 31st January 2007, 20:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

This is something that is typical of the monopolistic Sundaram Honda and a lot has been said already in other threads about them. Its high time Honda appoints another dealer for otherwise Honda owners will be at the mercy of these incompetent people who seldom face the threat of competition.
Old 31st January 2007, 20:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have had similar experience with whitefield HOnda when the RHS quarter bumper of our OHC got ripped and I sent my guy to get one.

They refused and asked to bring the car in.
Old 31st January 2007, 21:04   #4
Team-BHP Support

Most of the companies follow the same policy. they are afraid of resellers and inturn fake parts.

Maruti is on much larger scale with their service spread out so widely they can't afford to not have spares available.

I guess we have to live with it.
Old 31st January 2007, 21:07   #5
Team-BHP Support

Am sure, one could sue them for monoplistic practices
Old 31st January 2007, 21:25   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

From a QC point-of-view alone, Honda's stance makes sense. Altho they cant stop a determined forger from removing a part from a Honda car and CNC it, most other categories of normal forgers are dispensed with effectively
Old 31st January 2007, 21:33   #7
BHPian

Ford has the same policy...it sucks.

My a/c cooling coil had conked of and needed replacement. Wasan Ford said that they had the part available and when I reached to pick it up they informed me that they don't sell it over the counter and that I will have to get my car to their workshop. When I mentioned to him that my car was retro fitted with an LPG kit, he said that they won't even accept it as they have a strict policy of not servicing LPG converted cars. Had no choice but to source the part from outside and replace it.
Old 1st February 2007, 04:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

It has nothing to do with reselling or forging. A forger can always get it from an existing car and a reseller who tries to sell it for a price higher than the dealership is not going anywhere in his career.

The dealership dosent want to lose the labor charge that they make and they know that due to the high tech image people are scared of buying from outside.

something needs to be done about this. wonder what is Honda/Fords official policy on this.
Old 1st February 2007, 08:19   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
something needs to be done about this. wonder what is Honda/Fords official policy on this.

What would you do if the car is a non runner in the middle of Chitradurga - they won't go there and vice versa?
Old 1st February 2007, 08:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Its high time Honda appoints another dealer for otherwise Honda owners will be at the mercy of these incompetent people who seldom face the threat of competition.
Your prayers are answered.

Capital Honda is coming up near the airport and have already started taking bookings from the known sources. Showroom will be officially open within a month's time.

Wait, the same group is opening a dealership for BMW, it also coming near the airport.
Old 1st February 2007, 11:43   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Your prayers are answered.

Capital Honda is coming up near the airport and have already started taking bookings from the known sources. Showroom will be officially open within a month's time.

Wait, the same group is opening a dealership for BMW, it also coming near the airport.
I dont think just coz another dealership opens, it would help as such, as the official company policy itself may not allow selling pf parts over the counter.
Old 1st February 2007, 12:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

It depends on your relationship with the dealership. I was well known among Prime Honda service dept so when I needed an ORVM frame & glass once without the painting they gave it to me without any hassles & I had it painted & fitted outside. Similarly I also bought a wiper arm & blades from them.

They gave it to me since I was a known customer & rabble-rouser but normally most companies including Hyundai, Honda, Ford etc. are following the policy of not giving parts over the counter.
Old 1st February 2007, 22:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I dont think just coz another dealership opens, it would help as such, as the official company policy itself may not allow selling pf parts over the counter.
It may not allow selling of parts over the counter as you say but will definitely instill a sense of insecurity in the minds of Sundaram Honda for they will no longer enjoy the monopoly over Honda in Chennai. Hope Prime Honda does a good job in ensuring customer satisfaction. And as somebody said it has also got to do with the rapport that you have with the service people which can make things a lot better for you. I am saying this out of personal experience.
Old 2nd February 2007, 10:54   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...... And as somebody said it has also got to do with the rapport that you have with the service people which can make things a lot better for you. I am saying this out of personal experience.
I agree with rr_zen on that count. One mail to the sales people at Cauvery Ford (mentioning each of the people who assisted me) thanking them for making my purchase experience a pleasure ensures that i get really good treatment each time i go there. Sending the mail from my corporate mail id also contributed to it.
Old 2nd February 2007, 23:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It may not allow selling of parts over the counter as you say but will definitely instill a sense of insecurity in the minds of Sundaram Honda for they will no longer enjoy the monopoly over Honda in Chennai.
Whats the point in having a parts counter if you are not going to sell parts. Better to just have an internal conduit from parts shelf to service bay.

I have a feeling this kind of armtwisting policy is done by dealership without consent from Honda. Even the incident I mentioned was before Deccan HOnda was opened in B'lore. Things may have changed for the better now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks