Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2019, 11:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Hyundai to launch Genesis luxury brand in India

According to a media report, Hyundai is planning to introduce its Genesis luxury brand in India after 2020.

Rumour: Hyundai to launch Genesis luxury brand in India-gen-g70.jpg

Reports suggest that the company has been evaluating the possibility of introducing its luxury brand in India for some time now. Hyundai is likely to open company-owned experience centres and small showrooms in select cities across India.

Rumour: Hyundai to launch Genesis luxury brand in India-2018genesisg8033tsport_100607537_h.jpg

In the international market, Hyundai offers three sedans under the Genesis brand. The G70 is the entry-level model which comes with a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that makes 249 BHP and a 3.3-litre, twin-turbo V6 that puts out 360 BHP. The G80 is the mid-range model that is available with a V6 engine with 307 BHP, a 360 BHP 3.3-litre engine and a 5.0-litre V8 that makes 414 BHP. The top of the range is the G90 that comes with a 360 BHP twin-turbo V6 and a 5.0-litre V8 that puts out 414 BHP and 519 Nm of torque.

Rumour: Hyundai to launch Genesis luxury brand in India-c03galleryexteriorg901024x768bottomright.jpg

Hyundai is expected to showcase its Genesis branded cars at the 2020 Auto Expo.

Source: LiveMint

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 11:28   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Hyundai to launch Genesis luxury brand in India

Ooooohhhhh... these are amazing cars! Have been to their headquarters in Seoul and the cars exude luxury!
ValarMorghulis is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 11:42   #3

Reading the specs, the G series indeed looks powerful. No doubt, Hyundai, as per past few product offerings, is leaving no stone upturned to upgrade itself to a Premium Brand. But with the likes of established luxury makers (BMW, Mercedes, Audi), it would be difficult to crack such segment. Even if we see Toyota is trying with Lexus, but still people know this is coming from an OEM which sells Rs. 7L product too. So positioning & marketing of Genesis as all together a different brand will be a key to success in this game. (eg. Only few customers in general are aware that brands like Audi/Porsche/Lamborghini/Bugatti/Bentley comes from a VW family)
kaps619 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 11:53   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

India is still not ready for the Genesis brand.

Hyundai should concentrate and focus on Kia instead
karan561 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 12:07   #5
BHPian

If Toyota could not make Lexus move enough , I seriously doubt Hyundai will be able to sell Genesis Branded Cars. They should concentrate getting in Kia first and right. And then probably in the future get Gensis branded cars when the market is matured enough (my opinion would be get Gensis are an electric only / hybrid brand at a later stage) to create a niche and differentiation. Its really hard for Indian Luxury Car Buyers to look beyond the European's (JLR, Mercedes, BMW, Audi and now Volvo).

Last edited by Y@SH : 31st May 2019 at 12:09.
Y@SH is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 14:27   #6
BHPian

I suspect even if they bring in the cars, they will take the CBU route making them extremely expensive to own. And at such a high price point, buyers have access to cars in more premium brands. I would second the opinion that they should make Kia successful first before they embark on this journey of bringing Genesis to India. If Kia gets off to a flyer, maybe there is scope for a Kia-Genesis with an established after sales network rather than trying to set up another premium brand in India from scratch?
akunchala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 14:56   #7
BHPian

A lot of the common folk still don’t know that Hyundai and Kia are sister companies. If genesis launches in India, as a separate brand (which I think it will) and will have separate showrooms (again, which I think it will), it wouldn’t make a big difference. The only bit that’ll matter is the pricing. Provide an e-class like car at c-class price and s-class like at e. That’s where it’ll be able to win an audience as I have seen plenty of people try out new brands. There should be incentive to do that. I know that the genesis cars are luxurious and loaded, and they look good too. The branding is also posh and the logo looks sweet too (although reminiscent of other luxury brands, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing). So if they price it well, I think it’ll be a success as I trust the mechanicals.
bled_soul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:15   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

All depends on how committed Hyundai India is. Historically, they have never supported cars costing over 20 lakhs. The Sonata & Santa Fe bombed more due to step-motherly treatment from Hyundai than anything else. Heck, even a big city like Mumbai didn't have test-drive cars available. They had ZERO support. Like abandoned children.

On the other hand, if Hyundai carves out a dedicated team which has a sniper-like focus, I think bringing Genesis here might be worth their time. First & foremost, it MUST be via the CKD route. CBU = overpricing = disaster like Lexus. Brand Genesis actually has some really sweet luxury cars and if they significantly undercut the Germans, Hyundai might be onto something here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
In the international market, Hyundai offers three sedans under the Genesis brand.
IMHO, they must also play the hybrid & electric card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
If Toyota could not make Lexus move enough , I seriously doubt Hyundai will be able to sell Genesis Branded Cars.
Lexus India's way of doing things was doomed to fail. Grossly overpriced cars + UGLY designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akunchala View Post
I would second the opinion that they should make Kia successful first before they embark on this journey of bringing Genesis to India.
Hyundai India has nothing to do with Kia India. Internationally, they might be part of the same group. Here, they will be fighting tooth & nail. Kia India will have its own management, offices, factories etc. Hence, it's not like Hyundai India's team is going to be busy with setting up Kia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bled_soul View Post
A lot of the common folk still don’t know that Hyundai and Kia are sister companies.
So true. 90% of the people I've met don't know that Kia is part of Hyundai.
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

If Genesis does not have a range of SUVs, then this is a non-starter! All segments including the luxury end is full of SUVs now. For someone like Audi, im sure the Q series outsells the sedans. And even for a niche player like Volvo, its the XC60 and XC90 that seem to be working more than the sedans.

So if Genesis does not have a strong SUV line up, then its not worth the effort. Rather Hyundai could be better off creating Nexa kind of showrooms to push the Tucson, Santa Fe, Elantra and the likes.
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
If Toyota could not make Lexus move enough, I seriously doubt Hyundai will be able to sell Genesis Branded Cars.....
I think Hyundai has the best chance to reasonably crack the luxury segment. Lexus had the cars, but they just botched up in pricing them right.

Hyundai is a large company that has the capital and the cars to pull this off and challenge the European marquees. If they can avoid the mistakes Lexus made, I think they can have fair to good success in the market.
Old 16th July 2019, 08:09   #11
BHPian

Hyundai to launch its Genesis brand in India with an SUV

Rumour: Hyundai to launch Genesis luxury brand in India-0_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20190715044615_genesisgv80_concept.jpg
Concept

Rumour: Hyundai to launch Genesis luxury brand in India-images-1.jpeg
Rumour: Hyundai to launch Genesis luxury brand in India-images.jpeg
G70 Spy shots

The current global Genesis line-up consists of sedans only – however, they will soon be joined by two SUVs. The first one is slated to be the GV80, a sister to the G80 sedan based on the Kia Telluride / Hyundai Palisade; and the second, smaller GV70 shall share its underpinnings with the next-gen Tucson (likely to be introduced in India first). The company is also keen to bring Genesis products to India via the CKD route to avoid the hefty import taxes on fully imported units.

Autocar India

Last edited by jailbird_fynix : 16th July 2019 at 08:12.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 16:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

As much as I love the Hyundai Brand ( I am on my 3rd Sonata) and really admire what Hyundai is doing with the Genesis brand overseas specially in North America, I really dont see them selling anything here in India.
In a highly brand conscious market where your packaging is more important than the contents inside no one is looking to get a 75,000 USD Hyundai. They had trouble moving the 20 lakh Sonata and the 30 lakh Santa Fe out the showroom floors and look at the sales for very competent Tucson.
As good and competent the bigger expensive models are, image sadly will be a tall order to climb.
Old 16th February 2021, 07:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

New Genesis G80 luxury sedan spotted undisguised on the road in Mumbai.

Rumour: Hyundai to launch Genesis luxury brand in India-20210215063831_genesis_g80_main.jpg

Rumour: Hyundai to launch Genesis luxury brand in India-20210215063847_genesis_g80.jpg

Quote:
Indian market under consideration for Genesis brand launch. Not known if the G80 sedan will be sold in India

with regards to the model spied, we cannot confirm at this time if it has been brought to India for testing purpose.

There is no word yet on the company’s plans to bring its sedan line-up to India, though the G80 could be on the cards at a later stage.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 16th February 2021 at 07:54.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks