Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2019, 17:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra XUV300 AMT spotted during ad shoot

The Mahindra XUV300 equipped with an automated manual transmission (AMT) has been spotted during an ad shoot, which suggests that its launch could be just around the corner.

Mahindra XUV300 AMT spotted during ad shoot-xuv300amt2.jpg

Mahindra is likely to offer the AMT option on the W8 (O) trim, which comes with dual-tone alloy wheels, roof rails, ORVMs with integrated turn signals, projector headlights, fog lamps and LED tail lights.

Mahindra XUV300 AMT spotted during ad shoot-xuv300amt1.jpg

The XUV300 is available with two engine options including 1.2-litre, petrol engine that produces 110 BHP @ 5,000 rpm and 200 Nm of torque @ 2,000-3,500 rpm and a 1.5-litre, diesel engine that puts out 115 BHP @ 3,750 rpm and 300 Nm @ 1,500-2,500 rpm. Reports suggest that the AMT gearbox is likely to be offered with the diesel engine.

Source: Throttle-Blips

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 18:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV300 AMT spotted during ad shoot

Glad that they still want to make auto diesel. Almost everyone else has given up this combo below 20L mark. If this is available in W8(o) trim, price would be almost 15L on road! Would AMT be a good choice for that price? Not sure. Hope its better than current ones.
Old 3rd June 2019, 19:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Would AMT be a good choice for that price? Not sure. Hope its better than current ones.
+1 to that. AMT could be acceptable in budget CSUV's like Brezza or Nexon but certainly is a misfit for premium CSUV's, that too with diesel. The competition offers better transmissions. For prospective customers in this segment, it's a double blow with EcoSport deleting features in Titanium plus.

I would rather choose the EcoSport Titanium plus and get Sync3 as an accessory. On second thought, get a pre-loved one with all the features
DaptChatterjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 08:23   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I remember reading that the AMT is just a stop-gap until Mahindra figures out a proper AT for the XUV300. But I still don't agree with Mahindra's decision. For one, the jerky AMT simply does not suit the otherwise-premium XUV300. Second, Mahindra's track record with AMTs has been disastrous. Just ask TUV300 AMT owners who suffered innumerable problems. No way I would recommend the XUV300 AMT to anyone.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 08:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I remember reading that the AMT is just a stop-gap until Mahindra figures out a proper AT for the XUV300. But I still don't agree with Mahindra's decision. For one, the jerky AMT simply does not suit the otherwise-premium XUV300.
Totally second that. The whole hooplah about premium-ness just goes for a toss the moment you plonk an AMT. During recent purchase I was fixated on the Nexon, loved it to bits, but the AMT totally killed it for me. The head-nod, no matter how controlled manufacturers claim it to be, is always present and just takes away the premium feel. Yet to test drive the Venue but am sure it will be way smoother. Mahindra has already priced the XUV3OO at a premium, they should simply go all out and get a proper AT box
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 08:33   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I remember reading that the AMT is just a stop-gap until Mahindra figures out a proper AT for the XUV300. But I still don't agree with Mahindra's decision. For one, the jerky AMT simply does not suit the otherwise-premium XUV300. Second, Mahindra's track record with AMTs has been disastrous. Just ask TUV300 AMT owners who suffered innumerable problems. No way I would recommend the XUV300 AMT to anyone.
Add to that the fact that Mahindra recently discontinued TUV AMT. If i am in the market for a new C-SUV, i will definitely stay away from this. Nexon or Brezza AMT make so much more sense. Also, W8(O) is currently priced at 12-ex-showroom and the AMT variant will take it to ~12.5 easily
tarik.arora is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 09:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

If this AMT is a stop gap arrangement , then it is even bigger a problem. After a while Mahindra will discontinue it and the customers will face the same fate as the TUV AMT customers. If they are launching the AMT , I don't think there is any other transmission coming for at least 2 years. It will not make economic sense for Mahindra to launch an AMT only for few months. But Mahindra definitely knows a thing or two about brand/product management. May be they are willing to take some loses to keep the brand in the news.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 4th June 2019 at 09:41.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 14:30   #8
BHPian

Autocar India has published the first drive report of the XUV300 Diesel AMT. You can read it here.

TejasKinger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 07:46   #9
BANNED

The following excerpt from the Autocar first drive review is interesting:-

"Ever since the Mahindra XUV300’s launch, it’s been public knowledge that an automatic version was coming soon. And the said version is now here in the form of the XUV300 AMT. The auto option is only available on the diesel engine version of the SUV and uses a 6-speed automated manual transmission (AMT) sourced from Marelli (previously known as Magneti Marelli). Interestingly, this transmission is completely different from the slow-shifting, clunky, 5-speed AMT unit in TUV300 and the NuvoSport.
We got to sample the XUV300 AMT in the top of the line W8(O) variant, so let’s get right to it.

..... What’s new here is the automatic gear lever that is sturdy, nice to hold and easy to slot into different drive modes from the centre-most position. The gates are laid out in a cross position, with Automatic (A) and Manual (M) on the left, Neutral on the right, Reverse on the right and bottom, and Tiptronic on the top (+) and bottom (-) from the centre position. The lack of a clutch pedal has freed up some space in the footwell and you have a wide and comfortable dead pedal here – something that is sorely missed on the manual XUV.

.....Truth be told, it is comfortable to drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic, as a conventional automatic, but small jerks and some amount of head nod still remain. But there is little doubt, this is one of the best AMTs around. The gearbox is quick enough to respond and drops down a single or couple of gears when you demand more power from it. However, when cruising on the highway, it doesn’t quite drop down three gears, say from sixth to third, where the real punch is. So, for overtakes on the highways, it is best you use the manual Tiptronic mode. Even though the shifts in manual mode aren’t super quick, it gives you good control over the gearbox and helps keep the engine on the boil......"

Its a relief that the AMT on the XUV300 is an improvement on the earlier "clunkier" version - and for manual transmission gearheads like me, that's music!

Last edited by shashanka : 19th June 2019 at 07:49.
Old 19th June 2019, 08:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Its a relief that the AMT on the XUV300 is an improvement on the earlier "clunkier" version - and for manual transmission gearheads like me, that's music!
Mahindra's earlier AMT unit found on the TUV and Nuvosport was from a different vendor and the one on the 300 is from Magneti Marelli which supplies to Maruti and Tata as well. Without a doubt, the MM AMT unit is better than what Mahindra offered earlier.
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 08:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
Mahindra's earlier AMT unit found on the TUV and Nuvosport was from a different vendor and the one on the 300 is from Magneti Marelli which supplies to Maruti and Tata as well.
Yes, Mahindra chose Ricardo for its AMT unit back then when Maruti and Tata were already with Magneti Marelli.

While there are no doubts on MM's AMT unit, Mahindra should hold on to this transmission for 3-5 years at least before bringing a proper automatic.
Old 20th June 2019, 09:34   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
Mahindra's earlier AMT unit found on the TUV and Nuvosport was from a different vendor and the one on the 300 is from Magneti Marelli which supplies to Maruti and Tata as well. Without a doubt, the MM AMT unit is better than what Mahindra offered earlier.
There are several choices currently available when it comes to picking/matching an AMT to the target vehicle. A glimpse at the following link gives an idea of the range adopted by mfrs:

https://x-engineer.org/automotive-en...smissions-amt/

In the end it is the algorithms developed for the TCU which decides the degree of match/mismatch of the AMT with the car.
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks