Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2019, 09:26   #16
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 owner coats his car with cow dung to beat the heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The quite literal and highly appropriate response given the nature of this coating is that earthy English expletive "[male bovine] [excrement]". However I am afraid they'd react by pointing out that this coating was carefully selected from indigenous breeds of female bovine.
Reminds me of the gender discrimination joke: Cowdung and bull sh*t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
What is the purpose of this when there will be other ways to counter heat. Strange but true
There are more such examples in our country:

five46 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 09:30   #17
BHPian

Let us not get unduly exasperated about this ('which way the country is going' etc). This is just another example of non-enthusiasts being clueless on how to properly treat their vehicles, nothing more.

This example is similar to people putting the wrong oil in their engines, coating the underbody with diesel, installing hazardous accessories etc.

Last edited by vipul_singh : 4th June 2019 at 09:36.
vipul_singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 09:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
He is not a doctor as far as I can check. He quotes himself as a ex-senior scientist at Tata Memorial Hospital. He is a proclaimed "gaurakshak" and this is just a PR stunt. I just wish and hope that they don't malign the image of doctors by leveraging the credibility of that profession. And media should also be careful in branding these people as "DOCTOR".

The link to his website.
https://www.gaumaan.com/Team
That explains. Dr. "gaurakshak".
The other incident with the altis and now this. These are no cheap cars with average ACs, why would anyone cover their 15+ lac rupee cars with cowdung when they have perfectly good air conditioners? Besides it is not really going to help anyway, unless they cover the glass areas too.
Maybe they want the sunfilm ban revoked?
pyrodrive is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 09:49   #19
BHPian

I can understand for houses as cow dung actually helps, but the car is heated much due to the greenhouse effect of the glass area, mainly the windshield. Ideally covering the windshield and the rear glass area will reduce the heat way more.

Our country is taking Juggad to another level
aniyo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 09:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

On lighter sense:
Few days from now, we will start seeing a new innovative product to beat the heat in Amazon. There will be 3000 reviews with averaged 3.5 stars.

Comments may be
Three star comment: Does the job but, smells dirty
Five star comment: Excellent product. But It looks like some goat or sheep Dung. Do not know if its Truly Cow-Dung. Hopefully, its really Cow Dung.
Good Packaging.. All safe. But, two cakes were broken out of 25
gkveda is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 09:56   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
I can understand for houses as cow dung actually helps, --
Here is how this is viewed in international auto press:

Quote:
Indian Woman Coats Her Corolla In Cow Poop To Keep It Cool
Quote:
While this may all sound rather bizarre to most readers, it is quite a common practice in parts of rural India for cow dung to be applied to the floors and walls of a house to keep it cool in the summer and warm in winter. Additionally, cow dung is regarded as a mosquito repellent and a natural disinfectant. We can’t imagine it smelling very nice, however…
Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 10:30   #22
Team-BHP Support

I would be interested in the potential resale value of that car and potentially the cost of detailing it prior to resale!
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 10:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I would be interested in the potential resale value of that car and potentially the cost of detailing it prior to resale!
Now that this has become a fad and a way for instant social media fame, you never know when an even bigger moron will pay big money to snap it up with cowdung only.

And detailing before selling? What detailing? It's already detailed with natural wax coating to protect it from everything. Hope they don't sell it as bulletproof.
wanderer4x4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 11:24   #24
BHPian

The way things are moving, I won't be surprised if in coming years a special type of car coating is launched with some portion of soluble cow-dung in it.
Companies will market it as having both detailing and cooling affects.
SamitMukherjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 11:30   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamitMukherjee View Post
The way things are moving...
The way things are moving??
2 cases out of 1.5 billion! How do you even see a trend or even a whiff of a trend? These are outliers and people who just do things "their" way without any rationale. There are always such people everywhere!
Let's not paint an entire nation with broad strokes.
ValarMorghulis is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 11:43   #26
BHPian

I agree it is just 2 cases. But these 2 cases were enough to grab social attention. Leave us, I find even non-automobile enthusiasts at office talking about these incidents.
May not be in long run, but at least for now, these incidents have grabbed attention.
SamitMukherjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 11:54   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
The way things are moving??
2 cases out of 1.5 billion! How do you even see a trend or even a whiff of a trend? These are outliers and people who just do things "their" way without any rationale. There are always such people everywhere!
Let's not paint an entire nation with broad strokes.
While coating a car is a sort of new thing, three years back some chaps who coated their smartphone with cow dung hit the news. Apparently it protected them from harmful radiation emitted by the phone.

And the idea caught on so that people are selling "anti cellphone radiation cowdung chips" online.

https://www.firstpost.com/india/worr...e-2941148.html

https://m.indiamart.com/proddetail/c...781491555.html

So I am sure we will find at least detailing products which have cowdung mixed into the carnauba wax.

Similar to how after people stopped stripping all the enamel on their teeth by brushing with charcoal and salt, and switched to toothpaste for decades, some rumour about this stuff being healthier than toothpaste cropped up and now you have "kya aapke toothpaste mein namak hai" ads.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 12:13   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
So I am sure we will find at least detailing products which have cowdung mixed into the carnauba wax.
There are always buyers for all sorts of things! Below is a sample of products sold:

1. There was chewing gum being sold on E-Bay 'cos it was apparently one chewed by Britney Spears.
2. I'm sure you know about Goop's Jade Egg (not going to elaborate that. You can Google but beware NSFW) or Goop's Body Vibes (wearable stickers that "re-balance the energy frequency in our bodies") or basically most of Goop's products and they are expensive!

3. Magic chips which were magnetic stickers attached to the fuel tank which claimed to improve fuel economy by aligning fuel molecules. And these were seriously sold!
4. The "I am Rich" app on iOS which was sold for $1000 and did nothing except show "I am rich; I deserv it; I am good, ;healthy & successful" on a screen!

So there are always wacky gullible people, and sellers interested in selling stuff. Does not speak anything collectively about any set of people. So take this news with a pinch of salt, laugh at the vapidity of the benign buyer and move on. All is well
ValarMorghulis is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 12:23   #29
BHPian

Senior doctor coats his Mahindra XUV500 with cow dung to beat the heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamitMukherjee View Post
I agree it is just 2 cases. But these 2 cases were enough to grab social attention. Leave us, I find even non-automobile enthusiasts at office talking about these incidents.
May not be in long run, but at least for now, these incidents have grabbed attention.

This is a trend and it is catching fast.

Years back, in villages the dai ( or birth attendants ) responsible for home delivery of children used to apply cow dung at the umbilical cord. It took years and years for the medical community to educate them regarding problems such as sepsis, tetanus, EHPVO and infant mortality. Now we are back in those dark ages.
Wonder what is next ! To prevent sunstroke, wear a total body mask made of cow dung? Hygiene and health be damned.
D4d-maniac is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 12:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Wow, an article from a medical study conducted in Hindu Kush mountain valley of Pakistan in 1990 finds a place in this thread. Cow dung and its uses will be the most searched word in Google today.
SV Santosh, the doctor thought that engine may collapse because of heat stroke and bumper may melt because of heat.

Last edited by deehunk : 4th June 2019 at 12:49.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks