Team-BHP - May 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   May 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/210043-may-2019-indian-car-sales-figures-analysis-2.html)

The million dollar question is whether Maruti Suzuki India has also claimed the dispatches for Glanza as they have threatened to:D

I just noticed that the Omni has had just ~1300 factory dispatches in April and only 6 last month. Does this hint at the early demise and discontinuation of this venerable model? It was anyway going to be discontinued by early 2020 with the coming of new safety norms. Or is it that dealers are sitting on a huge stockpile of unsold Omnis?

The auto sector bloodath continues in May.
Major obervations:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee (Post 4602349)
The million dollar question is whether Maruti Suzuki India has also claimed the dispatches for Glanza as they have threatened to:D

The numbers shown in here does not include Toyota Glanza . See the Total Domestic Passenger Vehicle sales numbers.

May 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg

They have shown it as ‘Sales to other OEM’ and added an additional row as Total Domestic Sales (Domestic + OEM).

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiloAlpha (Post 4602384)
I just noticed that the Omni has had just ~1300 factory dispatches in April and only 6 last month. Does this hint at the early demise and discontinuation of this venerable model? It was anyway going to be discontinued by early 2020 with the coming of new safety norms. Or is it that dealers are sitting on a huge stockpile of unsold Omnis?

Maruti Omni seem to have been discontinued.

This is perhaps the most baffling chart I've seen. If there is 'really' a low consumer sentiment, all cars should have taken a beating, but consistent figures of XUV3OO, Alturas G4, Ertiga, Wagon R and some others seem pretty reasonable. But then, some others have taken a hit very badly.

Brezza seems to have affected by Venue and XUV3OO. Santro is probably not getting sold because there is a better car in the very same showroom : Grand i10. Alto is a clear indicator of rural market, which seems low on cash and loans. Very much interested to know what is going on in detail, high time for a moderator's/ expert's analysis here please:

And the saga continues. As expected, off late there has been lot of red in the charts and it only worsens more this month. Whatever the reasons might be, it's sad to see these numbers. Many manufacturers expect the same trend to continue in the coming month as they would be shutting down production for 4-13 days in June to clear the existing stock. Tough times for manufacturers but probably a good time to re-work on their shortcomings and strategies maybe?

IMO this might also delay the newbies arrival like KIA and MG. They wouldn't want to start off on the wrong foot and it is advisable to wait for the market to settle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdiSolEn (Post 4602296)
Also, the Tiago numbers are surprising. Are people moving away from the Tiago to other models or to other brands?Or maybe the impending facelift is the reason?

Not really, the competition doesn't do any better. Santro, hit its lowest since the launch in Oct 2018, falling below 5K level for the first time. Celerio registered its second lowest sales in the last 20 months. Only the new generation WagonR seems to be selling in this segment and seems unaffected.

In my humble opinion, cars have gotten really really expensive. Even the so called entry level models nudge 5 Lakhs On the Road for a decent variant. Premium hatchbacks are within sniffing distance of 10L for top variants, Compact SUV's are upward of 10L, C Segment sedans are 15L.

Way too much money for the cars on offer. Adding the popularity of shared mobility and the economic challenges, I think there has to be some major shakeup to break out of this slumber. What that needs to be, I have no clue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 4602492)
In my humble opinion, cars have gotten really really expensive.

Absolutely. My neighbour bought the all new uglier wagon r at 6+ lakhs and this is for the 1 litre mid variant. A colleague at office was looking at booking an XUV 300 of which the petrol top end costed a whopping 13.8 lakhs. And the dealer was pretty stubborn on discounts.

The top end auto petrol Venue teases 13 plus OTR.

On the other hand my friend bought a well maintained 8 yr old Skoda Yeti at 4.7 lakhs. To buy a new car either it has to be someone else paying for it or a lot of money lying around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 400notout (Post 4602497)
booking an XUV 300 of which the petrol top end costed a whopping 13.8 lakhs.

The top end auto petrol Venue teases 13 plus OTR.

I have concluded that the sub-4m SUV segment is where the customers are being milked the most, not that other segments are far behind. The Ertiga top end petrol costs ~11.05 OTR (excluding extended warranty) 6 months back when I booked it, I did a 'price-to-use-able area' comparison and realized that paying 12-14 lakhs for such small cars wasn't really making any sense. But the fact that people still go and buy them means they aren't exactly thinking that much. I mean, why would someone pay 12 lakhs for Brezza when there is a much bigger car available at lesser price is beyond me. Even the Ciaz petrol top end manual costs less than the top end Brezza.

The mid and top-end versions of hatchbacks like Tiago and Santro too are getting way beyond reach of common people as most are breaching the 5.5-6 lakh INR limit. Is the car industry on the verge of a major price correction ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KARAN.CARGURU (Post 4602347)
Failed promises and delivery of inferior products no wonder they currently reside second from bottom in sales...

seeks to close dealers who question intent based on factors such as these and appoint alternate smaller set up dealers so that questioning stops ! This is known as the Project Phoenix.

Renault wants the Indians market for itself

If what you say is true, this is no less than a con man act, it has all aspects of expert confidence tricks. I wish our legal system supports you. This is certainly not pleasant for brand Nissan. A complete failure of arrogant management, wonder where does the accountability stands, is it like India specific Management ?

Instead of the stupid badge engineering, if Nissan had launched just three or four products of their own (Altima, 307Z, GT-R, Armada), they would have made better margin of initial low numbers.

In July 2018 McKinsey published an article where they predicted India was expected to emerge as the world’s third-largest passenger-vehicle market by 2021. It was also mentioned that it took India around seven years to increase annual production to four million vehicles from three million. The next milestone—five million—is expected in less than five years.

However current market scenario is not encouraging and may prove that prediction wrong as Auto sector is showing signs of degrowth. There is definite headwind hammering Auto Industries and there are several reasons for that.

In my opinion, so far the market was mainly dominated by entry level cars and next upgrades in B segment; and that segment is showing degrowth.
There is consistent increase in prices – ex-showroom and related cost like insurance, road tax etc. These are affecting affordability of cars. A decent B segment hatchback will cost more than 6 lakhs on road and any premium hatchback will land you at more than 10 lakhs.

Easy availability of transportation in shared platform and self-driven rented vehicles.

Prospective customers are playing safe and may be waiting for BS VI complied vehicles.

Urban population is facing a difficult job market along with insecurities and postponing any high value purchase which often demand long term commitment to pay off loans. Similar sentiment can be witnessed in two-wheeler market also.

Not sure about prospect of EVs – to me, EV means, instead of burning hydrocarbon on road, you are burning somewhere else. Coal fired power plants generation and transmission efficiency is anyway less than modern engines.

Overall it is not a good sign; Auto makers are definitely going to face bumpy ride ahead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subby (Post 4602703)
Not sure about prospect of EVs – to me, EV means, instead of burning hydrocarbon on road, you are burning somewhere else. Coal fired power plants generation and transmission efficiency is anyway less than modern engines.

EVs also mean that you can use hydroelectricity, wind power, solar power, and nuclear power etc to drive your car - now we can't carry any of those in a car right?

I was wondering why all of a sudden there is a sudden spurt in calls from Maruti and Hyundai ASS centers in the last few months. The calls do not stop even after complaining and they are just desperate to get some money out of existing customers through regular and non regular service apparently.

After seeing the sales chart, now it is obvious why.

While lean times are always good for the customers, this time after reading other posts it seems manufacturers are reducing features from cars and then reducing the price and fooling us.
May be not in all cases but in some.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiInJa (Post 4602578)
I have concluded that the sub-4m SUV segment is where the customers are being milked the most, not that other segments are far behind. The Ertiga top end petrol costs ~11.05 OTR (excluding extended warranty) 6 months back when I booked it, I did a 'price-to-use-able area' comparison and realized that paying 12-14 lakhs for such small cars wasn't really making any sense. But the fact that people still go and buy them means they aren't exactly thinking that much. I mean, why would someone pay 12 lakhs for Brezza when there is a much bigger car available at lesser price is beyond me. Even the Ciaz petrol top end manual costs less than the top end Brezza.

The mid and top-end versions of hatchbacks like Tiago and Santro too are getting way beyond reach of common people as most are breaching the 5.5-6 lakh INR limit. Is the car industry on the verge of a major price correction ?

The primary consideration of the buyer is looks and popularity, this is where compact SUVs score over the never popular minivan and estate cars. Price to usable area doesn't matter because the SUV body style brings lots of benefits- easy step in height, good ground clearance and better visibility.

The reason for the Ertiga being cheaper is because the company has minimal pricing power, the body style is simply a hard sell. C segment sedans are seeing better kit as their popularity has waned, the premium paid on the compact SUV can be easily recouped at resale, there's demand for the used cars, people obviously are thinking of everything that matters.

The inflation rate over the last decade has meant that we are getting better deals on some cars, obviously not where demand outstrips supply. We will have to adjust to higher prices because inflation has reduced the value of our money and regulations have increased prices. I can't see any reason why someone would pick the Ciaz over the Brezza, loaded up with passengers and luggage, the Ciaz / any sedan will be crawling when you encounter a speed bump or a bad road, Brezza meanwhile would breeze over such imperfections. The tall step in height means that the brezza is better for your hip bone in the long term.