Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2019, 22:56   #46

Re: May 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Thanks for sharing the charts. Although as per the chart Swift looks to be the highest dispatched car,its the Baleno which ideally is the topper. 15176(NEXA)+2142(Toyota) = 17318

Hyundai :
Venue seems to have affected its own siblings Creta & i20 along with the Brezza. But too early to judge. A few more months would give a better picture if the shortcomings that we discussed to death on the Venue thread actually matters to the market or not.

Grand i10 case seems curious to me. One side its running almost 1L discount & on other hand they have so many shipments month-on month being dispatched. Usually we see discounts on cars which sell less & eventually shipments are controlled as well?

TATA:
Tiago numbers are down by almost 40% . What's happening?
Harrier seems to be doing decent for itself compared to XUV5OO & Compass.
Nexon comes to 3rd spot. Although the numbers remain largely similar to what it was previously, the XUV3OO crossing it is surprising.
The Sales nos of Tata Harrier is also alarming, in May it drops to 1779 from pick of nearly 2500 in March & 2080 from April.

It will be very difficult for Tata's to hold on to this number in coming months, once the buzz around the product settle down and MG Hector & KIA SP hit the Indian roads.

Tata is most trusted name across the India Industry but when it comes to trust of Indian people in Tata Motors, particularly for high end products, the bond was never built

Its sad story for Tata Motors marketing, who can not sell the Nano because of wrong positioning & now a value for money car like Harrier because of lack of trust by consumers

At same time, M&M team is doing wonders with XUV 300, which again a over priced product but still consistently hitting the nos on chart
lmilind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 23:47   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir"CAR" View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but does anyone have an idea of who the customers for the Mahindra Bolero are?
Police, paramilitary, ambulance, other govt agencies constitute a big portion.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 00:50   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but does anyone have an idea of who the customers for the Mahindra Bolero are? Do the sales figures include the pick-up truck variant? Are these predominantly in rural areas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Police, paramilitary, ambulance, other govt agencies constitute a big portion.
Totally agreed. Government agencies are big buyers of the Bolero. Further, in rural areas, lots of (esp agro based) buyers like this car considering the versatility it offers in terms of doubling up as passenger and goods vehicle.
Old 12th June 2019, 02:22   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARAN.CARGURU View Post

This morning I received a quote from one of the Ex-Nissan Dealers.
The attached story by Mr. Akshay Jain was so distressing to read. Even though the story is only from his side, we were all wondering in similar threads how Nissan dealers were even open with falling sales over the months and now we know. These dealers invested so much money on promise of new products from Nissan only to be let down by different strategies by changing leadership and alleged web of lies.
Yieldway17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 07:19   #50
BHPian

So the car industry has started to look towards the govt for help.
homepage=truehttps://www.thehindu.com/business/In...?homepage=true
While generally I would be against any govt intervention in any private industry, I think the high taxes are killing passenger car industry slowly but surely.( I understand the arguments for keeping taxes high for various reasons but our country still does not have a reliable, safe and fast public transport system in big cities for one to completely get rid of personal transport).
A good chunk of passenger car sales are from existing car buyers upgrading or changing their cars but currently it does not make any sense for one to do it due to the high GST and road taxes.
I expect the govt to announce some sops by reducing some taxes temporarily to give sales a boost. Will it make a long term difference? Don't think so. Once consumers realise that they can put off buying new cars or replacing existing cars without much change in their lifestyle, it is unlikely they come back in droves.
etrast75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 09:35   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
So the car industry has started to look towards the govt for help.
And also exploring new interesting options... I for one would surely look at this for my next car. Would love to hear pros and cons of this.

Why buy if you can lease

@Mods: please merge onto relevant thread if this is off topic here. Thanks.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 10:05   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but does anyone have an idea of who the customers for the Mahindra Bolero are? Do the sales figures include the pick-up truck variant? Are these predominantly in rural areas?
Apart from rural folks, Govt agencies, Paramilitary forces and local politicians/Goons, a big chunk also come from Agribusiness companies, particularly MNCs like Bayer/Monsanto, Corteva etc for their sales managers who need to go to far flung villages every day.

Basically, anyone who have to go to rural areas frequently, only go to vehicle is Bolero.
Old 12th June 2019, 10:11   #53
BHPian

Report on new vehicle sales:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/69749043.cms

At the same time, used car sales seems not to be impacted at all and increasing its growth:
https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le27027299.ece

It is a clear indication that buyers are also becoming increasingly savvy and refusing to be taken for a ride.

Last edited by B103 : 12th June 2019 at 10:12.
B103 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 10:39   #54
VVN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilind View Post
The Sales nos of Tata Harrier is also alarming, in May it drops to 1779 from pick of nearly 2500 in March & 2080 from April.

Its sad story for Tata Motors marketing, who can not sell the Nano because of wrong positioning & now a value for money car like Harrier because of lack of trust by consumers

At same time, M&M team is doing wonders with XUV 300, which again a over priced product but still consistently hitting the nos on chart
The Nano was a good product but it also gave rise to the notion that Tata Motors manufactures cheap cars. Maruti is able to sell the Alto and the Ciaz simply because of the hard work and trust it has built over decades. Perseverance is needed from Tata and they should continue to bring out innovative products and improve their A.S.S. The trust has to be built. Maybe they should start something like a Nexa which caters to a niche segment. Operating everything under the TM brand may not work unless they go all out on PR.
Old 12th June 2019, 19:51   #55
BHPian

Sharing a few personal observations:
+The Compass has hit an all time low and will stay there, and will only be worsened by the Hector and Harrier. The AT has come too late as its novelty factor has worn off. The AT will cross 30 lakhs OTR in Bangalore. What was Jeep thinking? Got to sort out its equipment and variants.
+Nice to see the Brezza finally getting some serious competition from the Venue. The XUV300 has stolen the mojo from the VFM Nexon. Ecosport who?
+Omni is about to be discontinued, leading to the massive spike in the Eeco’s sales.
+What’s up with the Alto? Despite the facelift, it has some really low numbers.
+The Tiago has taken a big hit.
+ The Kwid regularly clocks 5000 units in a month (despite Renault doing nothing on their part and the auto industry slowdown). Marvellous, I say! Another consistent player is the Yaris
+The Grand i10 and Xcent are fast losing popularity. Time for a new generation methinks.
Old 12th June 2019, 22:37   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
And also exploring new interesting options... I for one would surely look at this for my next car. Would love to hear pros and cons of this.

Why buy if you can lease

@Mods: please merge onto relevant thread if this is off topic here. Thanks.
This is not leasing as we know in western countries. This is more like extended rental where the manufacturers have tied up with rental companies to offer cars on long term rental. You will be driving a black board vehicle since the car will not be in your name and you will have to pay inter state taxes whenever you cross state boundaries. and as far as I can tell there is no option to buy the vehicle at the end of lease/rental period. There is a market for leasing in india but the current indian rules and laws do not support true leasing. So the manufacturers and rental car companies have resorted to "Jugaad" their way around the existing laws.
etrast75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 01:20   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARAN.CARGURU View Post
Nissan Kicks sales fall to 79 units in May 2019

This morning I received a quote from one of the Ex-Nissan Dealers.
There was an adage in my old company. "If your internal customers aren't happy, external ones will never be in long run". Of course it was in IT industry and it's a different ball game but I guess rule applies more or less everywhere.

Last edited by gupta_chd : 13th June 2019 at 01:23.
gupta_chd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 02:20   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post

Why buy if you can lease
From the first two paragraphs,
"Consumers can now drive home their dream car without making a down payment, enjoy hassle-free maintenance services and upgrade to a new product of their choice, thanks to personal lease programmes from automakers such as Hyundai, Mahindra, Skoda and Fiat.

South Korean auto major Hyundai is offering the base version of the SUV Creta at a monthly rental of Rs 17,642, inclusive of road and goods and services tax (GST), for a period of five years. Buying the same version would entail a down payment of Rs.2.73 Lakh.. "

Do they even proof read?
Old 13th June 2019, 07:07   #59
BHPian

Why is Hexa not selling at all? For several months in a row. Any idea?

At this rate, even the Alturas sales will beat Hexa sales, after some months!

Clearly there's something that Mahindra is doing right, that Tata simply doesn't get.

Last edited by vharihar : 13th June 2019 at 07:10.
Old 13th June 2019, 09:03   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Why is Hexa not selling at all? For several months in a row. Any idea?

At this rate, even the Alturas sales will beat Hexa sales, after some months!

Clearly there's something that Mahindra is doing right, that Tata simply doesn't get.
With the Upcoming BS6 regulation looks like the Varicor will be scrapped. TATA has not communicated any intentions of upgrading the Varicor. Hexa might not see April 2020 and looks like the market is clever in gauging that.

Last edited by hydraulicsteer : 13th June 2019 at 09:30.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks