Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2020, 12:36   #286
BHPian

re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Hyundai i20 spotted again
Oh dear! Another testing leak. However, this looks to be closer to the production ready model.
The car definitely looks grown up here.
ashvek3141 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 12:41   #287
Senior - BHPian

re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCar View Post

Yes, Hyundai i20 from India is a different car altogether compared to Brazil but I don't expect Hyundai to be genuinely concerned about Indian lives, looking at their past track record.

I would say better avoid all the flash, bling, luxury, etc. and opt for better, safer car available in the market.
It's a known fact that our market leaders Maruti and Hyundai use different sheet metal for india specific & export models. But our market is feature driven rather than safety. As long as people keep buying them in hordes why would the manufacturer bother? They are here to make money and whatever helps them keep costs down and earn maximum ROI, they would resort to that. The better quality sheet metal for export models are not out of love of lives there, rather stringent laws by respective governments. Unless our government sets a similar benchmark for safety nothing's gonna change, which again is anybody's guess

It's upto the individual to do their homework before finalizing the purchase.

Last edited by SoumenD : 11th October 2020 at 12:44.
SoumenD is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 22:02   #288
BHPian

Hope they can offer i20 with 1.4L Diesel + 6AT in both Magna and Sportz trim and price it correctly. The new i20 looks stunning from the front.
Old 11th October 2020, 22:09   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Here's an exclusive scoop, team:

Yes, an i20 turbo petrol mated to the 7-speed DCT is on the prowl.

Tell you what, in my opinion, it could very well be the N Line.
I sincerely hope they bring it with a manual option as well and I am not talking about an IMT.

I doubt the N-Line may make it here as chances that the extra trims would push the prices above 10 lakhs is very high and it's very hard to get people to buy hatches in India at that price. Their best bet would be to introduce the turbo below 10 lakhs.

Drive on,
Shibu
Old 12th October 2020, 15:56   #290
Senior - BHPian

All new Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Delhi

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-fb_img_16024980307029299.jpg

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-fb_img_16024980369736185.jpg

Source : MotorBeam
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 18:33   #291
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
This is also the spec I am looking at.
However, just like the N-Line, even the 1.5D TC looks a bit difficult that it’ll turn into a reality. For one, there are absolutely NO Diesel automatics in this segment, let alone a proper TC or something. Also, the inclination of customer going for a diesel at first in a premium hatchback is lesser compared to a SC-SUV. Also, the Diesel TC will definitely push the price above the 10L mark which probably would be an overkill for a hatch segment.

Here’s a simple calculation for the Turbo petrol which for sure is confirmed,
Considering (I am being really optimistic here) Hyundai launches the 1.0L DCT in top spec Asta (O) variant:
- Current 1.2L Asta (O) ex-Delhi: 8.30L
- Add 1.0L Turbo: 9.30L
- Add a DCT: 10.30L

And I am not even considering a mandatory price bump that comes with every generation change.
A simple 1L Turbo DCT top spec itself breaks through the 10 lakhs price barrier.
This also makes me think if at all Hyundai will launch the Turbo DCT in Asta (O) variant! Knowing them for their step-motherly treatment that they’ve been giving for the automatic variants, I have my doubts if the Asta (O) DCT will see the light of the day.
Having said that, I am secretly hoping that they do launch the i20 in 1.5D TC guise for us Dieselheads.
Makes sense but I secretly hope that Hyundai throws in a surprise with the new launch. Having said that, when CSUVs can push their range upto 16 lacs (in the range of Seltos/Creta mid variants), I think there will be a market for premium hatchbacks in the range of 10-13 lacs if they offer superior performance, feature rich and top of the line safety kit.

Appreciate the approach taken by Kia, let the customer have the option to choose top of the line GTX+ on the Sonet for both petrol with 7DCT and diesel with 6AT, pushing their sticker price to 16 lacs.

Interesting couple of days ahead with the launch round the corner, sources within the dealership community in Chennai all confirm 28th Oct as the D day.
Striker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 22:06   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker View Post
Makes sense but I secretly hope that Hyundai throws in a surprise with the new launch. Having said that, when CSUVs can push their range upto 16 lacs (in the range of Seltos/Creta mid variants), I think there will be a market for premium hatchbacks in the range of 10-13 lacs if they offer superior performance, feature rich and top of the line safety kit.

Appreciate the approach taken by Kia, let the customer have the option to choose top of the line GTX+ on the Sonet for both petrol with 7DCT and diesel with 6AT, pushing their sticker price to 16 lacs.

Interesting couple of days ahead with the launch round the corner, sources within the dealership community in Chennai all confirm 28th Oct as the D day.
Agreed! The overall market is seeing a shift in the pricing across the segments. It wont be surprising if the latest crop pf premium hatches cross the 10 L barrier.

I feel Kia has done a fantastic job in favour of customers to eliminate the ‘confusion’ about the advantage of Diesel over Petrol.
It’s simple with Kia, just pick the engine you love.

Well, with the launch date of 28th Oct, Hyundai will lose a big chunk of the initial festive season sales, and hopefully if things go as planned then they might be able to capitalise on the remaining half of it.
I was really optimistic about Hyundai launching the car somewhere mid-Oct. Alas!

As a matter of fact, we have almost narrowed down on the Sonet as our next purchase. But heart still awaits the elite i20.
ashvek3141 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 10:28   #293
BANNED

Quote:
As a matter of fact, we have almost narrowed down on the Sonet as our next purchase. But heart still awaits the elite i20.
That makes two of us buddy! I saw the Sonet as a product which is almost 80% of Seltos (terms of premium features, engine+transmission) and cheaper by 4-5 lacs. I am going with the same mindset with the i20 now, i.e. if the top end turbo petrol DCT comes upto 12-13 lacs on road (cheaper by 3 lacs compared to Sonet with same engine+transmission).

On a separate note, Kun Hyundai Chennai started their pre-bookings today. Official launch set for 28th October (confirmed by dealer sources)!
Striker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 12:11   #294
BANNED

Quote:
On a separate note, Kun Hyundai Chennai started their pre-bookings today. Official launch set for 28th October (confirmed by dealer sources)!
Made a pre-booking with Kun Hyundai by cutting a cheque of Rs 20k for the upcoming i20. Now the wait begins
Striker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 14:34   #295
BANNED

Exclusive scoop: Insider information from a tippee within dealer sources reveal the potential variant-wise engine + transmission options in the upcoming i20.

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-1.jpg
Striker is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 14:46   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

What’s up with only getting the iMT in the Turbo variants even Sonet made the same mistake! Atleast Venue gets all three gearboxes. Turbo needs the regular MT more than the iMT!
CEF_Beasts is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 20:16   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Made a pre-booking with Kun Hyundai by cutting a cheque of Rs 20k for the upcoming i20. Now the wait begins
I believe this is like an un-official booking right? As I spoke to my dealer about a week ago and he didn't reveal any details to me. They are not even taking any bookings as of now. He only mentioned to me that the car is stated to launch around the month end.

Quote:
Exclusive scoop: Insider information from a tippee within dealer sources reveal the potential variant-wise engine + transmission options in the upcoming i20.

Attachment 2067671
This is nice, if true. 1.0L DCT in top-spec Asta (O) variant. What is surprising however, is that the DCT isn't offered in either Magna or even Sportz for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
What’s up with only getting the iMT in the Turbo variants even Sonet made the same mistake! At least Venue gets all three gearboxes. Turbo needs the regular MT more than the iMT!
Looks like this is the new trend that we will be seeing more and more going forward, at least with Hyundai / Kia vehicles. Sadly, the MT is on the verge of dying a slow death.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 14th October 2020 at 21:08. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
Old 14th October 2020, 20:40   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They are not even taking any bookings as of now. He only mentioned to me that the car is stated to launch around the month end.
Any idea if this is going to be just an unveiling or full launch with the price list?

Last edited by Aditya : 15th October 2020 at 07:41. Reason: Quoted text edited
Old 14th October 2020, 20:59   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Any idea if this is going to be just an unveiling or full launch with the price list?
Hyundai is being very tight-lipped about the i20 for some reason!

I hope it’s the full launch with prices because this new trend of unveiling the car and then announcing prices after a few weeks is something I don’t like!
CEF_Beasts is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 21:32   #300
NTO
BHPian

If Hyundai launches the i20 with the diesel AT, I don't think any other hatchback/ even the C2 sedans stand a chance. If it is there in the Sonet, why not in i20?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks