Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2020, 14:25   #361
BHPian

re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
The rear has a confusing design and looks almost similar to the Brio.
I completely agree. These were my immediate thoughts.
Pkumarblore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 15:47   #362

re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob.thomas View Post
If the information on the variants is true, I am not sure what logic Hyundai is following by providing the 1.2 L NA MT in Asta (O) and not the 1.0 L Turbo IMT.
That's the usual course followed by Hyundai and Kia. They don't provide the turbo petrol + DCT combination on the top-end variants at introduction. But it always turns up a couple of months later. I believe it's what they did with the Seltos. All we can do is hope that it DOES turn up.
Claws is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 16:16   #363
BHPian

This generation surely has polarizing design even with the international variant specially at the rear. But what's more worrying is the new instrument cluster. These semi digital clusters are not only ugly but also difficult to look at while driving. I guess with the invent of EV, we'll see more of these weird looking clusters in the future. No place for people who love traditional design like me.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 18:11   #364
BHPian

As a current i20 owner, I am definitely excited, but not impressed with the newer gen. Firstly, I simply cannot digest that digital instrument cluster. Call me old fashioned, but I love the cleaner look of the analog instrument clusters. Not the plain jane ones like we see in the entry-level cars, but I simply love the cluster in my i20, and those seen in the MS and Kia cars. This is a personal preference.

Secondly, what has happened to Hyundai? Why such an adventurous alloy wheel design? Of late, this has been a pattern with all their cars, right from Verna facelift to Creta to this. Regarding overall design, I am pretty sure this will grow over time, just like the Creta.

Thirdly, if rumors are to go by, Hyundai won't offer a manual tranny with the Turbo Petrol, which seems inexplicable. Agreed, the iMT is a new tech and Hyundai/Kia really want customers to experience this, but giving the option of iMT ONLY seems like a step-motherly treatment to the Manual gearbox. Back of my mind, I still hope Hyundai offers an MT with the Turbo Petrol engine.

Lastly, this doesn't look as well packaged as an Altroz or Baleno, in terms of space at least!

All these aside, Hyundai will stuff the i20 with truckload of features and interior quality *should* be terrific as usual, which will be a big draw for the masses. The sunroof alone will seal the deal for many people.

I will look to replace my current ride sometime next year, and I am playing a wait and watch game. Have high hopes from the Turbo Petrol DCT, but if Hyundai brings in the Diesel AT sometime later, I will be the first in queue with my cheque book. If not, might look for pre-owned options in the market, which anyways seems like a better bet than buying a new one in the current market scenario.

Overall, seems like a product that the masses will rush to. I hope Hyundai doesn't go overboard with the pricing.
Utsav3010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 18:19   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

While the opinions may incline towards a lot of people not liking the newer model of the i20, the reality in the near future is going to be drastically different.

Remember how hideous the creta looked in pics and how we have started to accept it as a market? For me, I like the looks of the new gen i20. It packs that modernistic design language that Altroz proudly wears. This car will look much much better on roads.

Personally, if I were to buy one, I will buy one in red and mask that ugly rear chrome strip with gloss black wrap. The car will exceed every other competitor in features set, their engines are reliable and modern hyundais are dynamically sorted too. Hyundai A.S.S advantage is a no brainer.

Achilles heel will be the safety rating, but then, I am just assuming. Altroz definitely will lose a chunk of sales to the i20. Another sore point about the newer hyundais (creta, Verna and the new i20) is that their doorpad/dashboard plastics seem to be extra hard everywhere.

My dilemma will be, if I were to buy a 4 seater Hyundai at a 10 lakh ex showroom budget, which makes more sense, the Venue or the Elite i20? In my scales, the i20 tips to the favour. Looks better, you get superior variant for the same cost, better performance with the same powertrain and obviously better fuel efficiency.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 20th October 2020 at 18:24.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 18:25   #366
BHPian

Odd that they haven't fitted this with all LED lamps but I'm sure the aftermarket is already well stocked with those, and all the famous Hyundai "car shringaar" accessories!
Old 20th October 2020, 23:08   #367
BHPian

Is it only me or did anyone else notice the speedometer console of these cars - Hector, Nexon, new i20 and one more car, they look almost the same.

Same company designing speedometer for all these cars?
SS80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 07:44   #368
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Wow, entry level cars are really getting equipped these days. It looks really nice too. But I can't digest the rear design.
Old 21st October 2020, 08:14   #369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
Same company designing speedometer for all these cars?
The company is called - BMW. Others are inspired.

The Hyundai implementation, especially, is almost like a direct copy. Tech trickles down to budget cars fast these days!

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-images.jpeg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 08:27   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

The Indian car should've also come with lower half beige and upper half black like the car above, in that combination the interior looks sophisticated and luxurious, the all-black is a bit boring.

Too sporty to look at, should've infused bits and pieces of beige, aluminium and
highlight colors to brighten up the interiors.

Other than that the car is nice to look at, although it doesn't feel like a family car anymore, it feels too youthful and futuristic for now. The Venue, Creta and Tucson are about the only family-esque looking cars today, rest are edgy, sporty and high-tech.

Love the steering and dash design though, its an Audi A0.5 at 15 odd lacs (with the 1.0 turbo, sunroof, DCT, connected tech, BOSE speakers etc), great buy for those looking for a good city runabout.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 08:34   #371
BHPian

I see a lot of posts complaining about the all dark interiors. I believe I read somewhere that only the Turbo version will come with all black, while the NA petrol and diesel will have the beige dual tone just like the Sonet. Let's wait and see if this is true.

Last edited by SansGT : 21st October 2020 at 08:50.
SansGT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 13:31   #372
BHPian

Some new images of the 2020 Hyundai i20 have surfaced, I found these on the Instagram handle of AutoTechPortal. It seems the chrome strip on the rear isn't just an optional fitment, and another disappointing attribute is the smoked projector headlamps. I will continue to hope that there is a top end Asta (O) which might sport the all LED headlamps.
The red i20 sports a 'Turbo' tag on the grille, it is sans a sunroof though. The white one can be seen using a sunroof.
I cannot complain enough how much I dislike the chrome inclusion and the headlamps, but on the brighter side I do very much like the side silhouette, looks very sporty. The black skirts on the front and rear further accentuate the sporty look.
Attached Thumbnails
Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-20201021_122844.jpg  

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-20201021_122855.jpg  

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-20201021_122906.jpg  

sid__kaps is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 13:58   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
Powerdrift has put up a video on Instagram with this car almost completely undisguised!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEZCKYOKV56/

Attachment 2048734

Attachment 2048735

Looks really good from the front.
It is interesting how during the tests the chrome strip was not present on the car, and now when the car has begun to hit the dealerships, we have seen it on the rear. It feels like an afterthought imo.
Old 21st October 2020, 15:14   #374
BHPian

Spotted one on my way to Ajmer today. This one is parked right beside the McDonalds on the way to Neemrana.

Here's a walkaround video.
Attached Thumbnails
Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-img_20201021_133209.jpg  

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-img_20201021_133220.jpg  

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-img_20201021_133221.jpg  

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-img_20201021_133207.jpg  

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-img_20201021_133211.jpg  

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-img_20201021_133214.jpg  

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-img_20201021_133333.jpg  

Last edited by Vijayraj1890 : 21st October 2020 at 15:21.
Vijayraj1890 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 15:34   #375
AYP
Senior - BHPian

So, the above post pretty much confirms that we won't be getting the LED headlight treatment. Ah, such a disappointment.

I guess LED headlights and ventilated seats are being reserved for the face-lift or being reserved as a weapon which shall be displayed only when the next-gen Baleno gets launched.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks