Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2020, 21:29   #451
BHPian

re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Architect View Post

Will this horizontal frame be added with the bumper or is it supposed to welded with the frame as shown in the video ?
Very good observation. Image 2(car in white) is not definitely the new i20. But 3rd image seems like i20 and the horizontal bar is not present. Possibility that first image is of international version and got here in Indian marketing video by mistake. As manufacturers are known to skip features(including safety features) in Indian version
Old 27th October 2020, 21:34   #452
BHPian

re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

We need to see how this variant of i20 will get sold, given so much of negative trend in the latest Hyundai designs. 69% of the voting in this thread (What do you think of Hyundai's new design language?)is against this and this new iteration has to be a disaster given the voting trend.
Old 27th October 2020, 22:38   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
We need to see how this variant of i20 will get sold, given so much of negative trend in the latest Hyundai designs. 69% of the voting in this thread (What do you think of Hyundai's new design language?)is against this and this new iteration has to be a disaster given the voting trend.
Does it matter to the buyer? Creta has the most polarising design in their lineup and see how it is selling. The i20 will sell like hotcakes.
SansGT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 23:28   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by velan View Post
Autocar India says that the 1.0 turbo petrol will be 120hp engine. Source autocarindia.
Please take the news by ACI of any upcoming launch with a pinch of salt. They have a history of being absolutely unreliable.

If the i20 comes in the 120 hp tune, great. But if it doesn’t, don’t be surprised either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansGT View Post
Does it matter to the buyer? Creta has the most polarising design in their lineup and see how it is selling. The i20 will sell like hotcakes.
The fact that the outgoing gen. was selling close to 7k - 8k a month, even in the last month when the launch of new generation was just around the corner is a proof in itself what this car means to the masses.

There is absolutely no doubt that the newer car will be a hit! Dare I say, even bigger than the outgoing model.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 00:44   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Architect View Post
Noticed some differences with regard to the structure shown when describing about high strength steel and the actual production version.

Will this horizontal frame be added with the bumper or is it supposed to welded with the frame as shown in the video ?
That's the FR bumper cross member / crash member (different OEM's have different terminologies). It's usually a bolt on part. It takes a frontal impact and dissipates the crash load down one or both the side/long members.
In some cars, some parts , maybe some assorted wiring harness / fasteners etc is clipped behind the bumper crash member.
As you can see in the picture, the powertrain is yet to be installed on the vehicle. Since Hyundai's follow a "bottom-up" powertrain integration, the crash member will be fitted after the engine is installed in the engine compartment.

One of the best bumper crash member design of a car sold in India belonged to that of the earstwhile Daewoo Cielo followed closely by the Opel Astra.
arjab is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 01:15   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
... this new iteration has to be a disaster given the voting trend.
The new i20 will sell in huge numbers. But for me it is difficult to digest these kind of designs, hence new i20 will be my last choice based on exterior design.
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 01:53   #457

Walk around of Asta (O)
GoSpeedRacerGo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 08:19   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSpeedRacerGo View Post
https://Youtu.be/Cksof8UAPZ8

Walk around of Asta (O)
This is probably the most comprehensive spy shot till date.
jacob.thomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 09:09   #459
BHPian

Bookings open on Hyundai's portal.

Petrol Variants:
Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-petrol.png

Diesel Variants:
Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-diesel.png
  • DCT available with ASTA and ASTA (O) while SPORTZ misses out.
  • iMT is given a miss for the top of the line ASTA(O).
  • No ASTA for Diesel. ASTA(O) directly after SPORTZ.
  • All trims above MAGNA get a dual tone offering.

Last edited by SansGT : 28th October 2020 at 09:16.
SansGT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 09:10   #460
BHPian

Can't figure what's left for an official launch, except for price reveal. By Nov 5 when Hyundai honchos revel the i20, silk drapes and all, dozens of TD reviews will be out on youtube. Poor things, Autocar, Overdrive, and their ilk.
Old 28th October 2020, 10:45   #461
Senior - BHPian

If we try to declutter the above list:

PETROL
Magna - MT
Sportz - MT, CVT
Asta - MT, CVT
Asta O - MT

TURBO
Sportz - iMT
Asta - iMT, DCT
Asta O - DCT

DIESEL
Magna - MT
Sportz - MT
Asta O - MT

What surprises me is that there's no Asta O CVT (1.2) trim on offer. Given that Asta O Turbo DCT will be the most expensive variant, there was no sticker shock to be avoided here.

Last edited by self_driven : 28th October 2020 at 10:46.
self_driven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 11:26   #462
BHPian

Saw this in a walk around video of the i20.
The top end variant comes with ventilated seats, which is I guess segment first.
Attached Thumbnails
Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-screenshot_20201028112311__01.jpg  

jigar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 11:40   #463
BANNED

With the variants starting from Magna, it seems the new i20 shall start from > 6L ex showroom, this shall push it in the higher RTO slab, which in turn shall make the OTR price no less than 7.5.

The elite i20 few years back started with an ex showroom of 4.89 which over the years went up to 5.5+.

Now with the Baleno Sigma starting at 5.63 ex showroom and 6.2 on road, this shall leave a huge gap between the starting variants of the i20 and the Baleno/Altroz and others in the fray.

I think they should have come out with an Era variant or have the Magna starting at < 6L ex showroom.
Old 28th October 2020, 11:41   #464
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai has discontinued the second-gen Elite i20 ahead of the new model launch. It has been dropped from the official website. Third-gen i20 is likely to be priced from Rs 6 lakh. Hyundai has dropped the ‘Elite’ tag and it will be called just the i20.

https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...-launch/40176/
Old 28th October 2020, 11:51   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar View Post
Saw this in a walk around video of the i20.
The top end variant comes with ventilated seats, which is I guess segment first.
Would really appreciate it if you could share the video that you saw.
Thanks.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed