Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2020, 19:05   #496
BHPian

re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsav3010 View Post
So based on some leaked images, searched the VIN, and voila, found everything that people need to know.

1.0 TGDi engine is called Kappa 10, the car is an Asta/Asta (O) variant and gets LED tail lights, ESP/Traction Control, Hill Start Assist/Hill Hold Control, Wireless Charging, Sunroof (everyone's darling nowadays), Cruise Control, 6 Airbags, Automatic Climate Control with Eco Coating, Tilt and Telescopic Steering Wheel, etc.

Apparently, the production date is shown as October 07, 2020, which is well before anyone had speculated, apart from some industry insiders.

Attachment 2070664

Attachment 2070665

Attachment 2070663

This particular car is mated to a 7-Speed DCT, and inexplicably, misses out on Auto-Dimming IRVM and Paddle Shifters. Unavailability of the former was expected, since the Venue doesn't get it either, however, the lack of paddle shifters is baffling. Maybe, both these features are reserved for an update next year?

The car is loaded to the gills with features, and I will reiterate what I said in my earlier post, all of this will be a big draw for the masses. Eagerly waiting to check the car out in person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo_17 View Post
Can anybody confirm if it will come with cruise control or not? . Also I'm curious whether it'll get Blue Link or not .
It does come with cruise control as is evident from the above quoted post and blue link will also most likely make it because with the 10.25 inch touchscreen blue-link is standard I suppose.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 00:14   #497
BHPian

re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo_17 View Post
Can anybody confirm if it will come with cruise control or not? . Also I'm curious whether it'll get Blue Link or not . I'm waiting for 5 Nov eagerly. It surely looks like bang for buck car with all these features in this price range
The answer is yes to both!
Dexter_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 17:58   #498
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Comprehensive interior look of the all new i20 (Asta O variant):

Striker is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 00:34   #499
BHPian

No auto dimming IRVM seems to be a big miss here. Can this be upgraded at the dealer level or is an aftermarket fitting recommended?
Dexter_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 21:48   #500
BHPian

2020 Hyundai i20 complete reveal

Looks great, but I like the current i20 elite.

This 2020 version is loaded with sunroof and 10 inch touchscreen display. Features wise I think no one can beat Hyundai.
WhiteSierra is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 01:28   #501
BHPian

Just came across a new video of the new Hyundai i20 for India parked at a dealership stockyard. This video confirms that the 1.2L (Petrol) CVT Asta variant of the car does not have cruise control and ESP. This is a huge bummer, at least for me. The top variant of the i20 (Asta Optional) has these features. However, the automatic transmission in Asta Optional variant is available only with a 3-cylinder engine.

While 3-cylinder engines have come a long way, I don't prefer them over 4-cylinder engines. Especially because they have uneven number of cylinders making them unbalanced, which not only creates more vibrations compared to a 4-cylinder engine (generally speaking) but also has less smoother power delivery. These engines also have lower low-end torque compared to a 1.2L 4-cylinder engine (in most cases) and they are less reliable in the long run compared to a 4-cylinder unit (at least in my opinion; other people might say differently). Plus, I have OCD, which means that I prefer even numbers over odd ones. Which is why, I was eyeing the 1.2L 4-cylinder (Petrol) CVT variant of the car. Unfortunately, that variant of the car is a no-go for me as it lacks cruise control and ESP, which, for me, are extremely important.

ESP, in my opinion, is a life-saving feature. I would prefer a car that has less airbags but comes equipped with ESP rather than a car that has more airbags but lacks ESP. Airbag is a passive life-saving feature in a car accident; it deploys when the car crashes. ESP, on the other hand, intelligently brakes each wheel to reduce your chances of a crash (by a huge margin in most cases). If you don't crash in the first place, you won't need airbags. After all, prevention is better than cure (I know this phrase doesn't go perfectly in this case but you get what I am trying to say).

I am disappointed with Hyundai skipping on such a life-saving feature on the new i20. What do you guys think about it?
AbidIqbalShaik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:49   #502

Got a chance to take a very good look at the new i20 yesterday when I visited the dealer's stockyard for the PDI of my new Creta 1.5 SX.

The new i20 looks best in person when compared to the pictures and videos seen, the interiors looked like a segment above. The dealer had around 15 new i20 lined up in different color shades and variants (the majority of them being Sportz).
Old 3rd November 2020, 14:40   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbidIqbalShaik View Post
I am disappointed with Hyundai skipping on such a life-saving feature on the new i20. What do you guys think about it?
More than ESP, I am more concerned about omissions of cheap and simple thing like adjustable rear head restraint in lower variants.

Still it is better than Jazz which do not offer adjustable head restraint on any variant. And where the less safety conscious maruti provides the same in 3 out of 4 variants
sreejithkk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 19:49   #504
BANNED

From the videos circulating on the internet, seems like the lower variants of the all new i20 is shod with Bridgestone tyres whilst the higher variants are equipped with Ceat SecuraDrive.

Are these premium offerings from Ceat any good? Please share your experiences.
Striker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 17:38   #505
Team-BHP Support

Watch the launch live here, tomorrow at 12 PM -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 17:48   #506
Distinguished - BHPian

No price estimation/leak, wow Hyundai has kept everything under tight wraps!
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 18:32   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
No price estimation/leak, wow Hyundai has kept everything under tight wraps!
True. Everything under tight wraps except the car itself!

However, it will be interesting to see the introductory pricing. I believe the ASTA (O) DCT and Diesel both will be in the CSUV mid-variant pricing. Will be pleasantly surprised if they prove me wrong.

Last edited by SansGT : 4th November 2020 at 18:34.
Old 4th November 2020, 18:37   #508
Distinguished - BHPian

One has to commend the Hyundai Motor Group for what they've done this year, just when I thought they are almost cornered when it came to squeezing tech and well-rounded packaging in one affordable mass-market car, KIA came out with the Sonet which not only looks gorgeous but is the absolute leader in tech and practical features, Hyundai pulled out their own card with the latest i20 and both come with a laundry list of engine+transmission options!

If people are still complaining of missing stuff here and there, I get it, but man, never in my wildest imagination did I think that cars under 15 lakhs budget will have everything but the toilet sink thrown in, lets just flashback to the days of Fiat and Maruti and you'll know what I mean. We are a privileged lot now, still being able to focus on the missing bits on such cars when luxury automobiles at 3x the price do not have them (relating to the thread on seat-ventilation).

This still won't beat the Baleno (including Glanza) in sales but it'll settle at a comfortable number 2 like the Elite and continue holding the spot till the next facelift. If the interior build is as good as the Elite i20, this is really a bargain.
dark.knight is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 19:48   #509
BANNED

Had the chance to check out the all new i20 in person today, Asta O variant of the 1.2 NA and 1.0 turbo DCT.

No photos were allowed. Most of the points were already covered by Ashvek (refer to post 397). Few additional points to add:

- Full leather seats only in the 1.0 turbo Asta O variant. The 1.2 NA Asta O misses it, has the part leather part fabric treatment (It's going to be a nightmare shortlisting a variant. Rear that brochure carefully before finalising the model!)

- Interior space is excellent. I am 6.2 tall and with the front seats adjusted to my height, I could comfortable sit behind. The previous gen Elite i20 was terrible with rear space and this comes as a huge improvement in this regard. Easily matches (if not better) the rear legroom offered in the Baleno and the Altroz

- Wider than the outgoing Elite i20, still best to seat 2 adults plus a child

- Ingress and egress were surprisingly easy, considering the low slung sporty stance of the car. No complaints here

- Auto-wipers are given a miss

- Rear chrome strip on a white car is well masked and doesn't look gaudy.

- Starry night color looks more like the forest green offered in the venue (has a deep green tint). Note - car was parked in a poorly lit space and was dark outside

- Sound clarity and quality from the BOSE speaker was excellent. Good amount of bass from the dedicated sub-woofer placed in the boot

- HID projector headlight (white color) with LED DRLs in the front. Full LED lights at the rear

- Similar to the i10 Nios, air curtains are provided near the fog lamp housing to reduce drag and improve the aerodynamics

- Sunroof is of decent size and provides a premium plushness to the car

- 16 inch alloys on the top variants look nice, shod with CEAT SecuraDrive tyres

- No sun shade provided for the rear windows

- Arm rest provided for the rear passengers, but no cup-holders

- Recline angle for the rear bench is spot on. Under-thigh support could have been slightly better

- Nifty feature: the fuel lid can be pressed and opened when the car is unlocked. No need to pull the lever that is found commonly in other cars

- All black interior color treatment does enhance to the overall sportiness, but feels a bit claustrophobic sitting in the back. Having said that, large rear windows and a well-sized sunroof do make things better

- Annoying lock/unlock sound from the i10 Nios makes its way to the all new i20 as well

- Front and rear door pockets are of good size, can easily accommodate those 1 litre bottles

- Didn't quite like the air purifier placement, occupies one cup holder permanently

- Sliding armrest along with tilt + telescopic steering are retained from the previous generation

- No soft fabric or leather treatment offered in the door panel where we usually rest our hands

- Addition of the blue ambient lighting is a nice touch, adds to the overall premiumness

- Turbo variant didn't have any red or green inserts, as shown in some sketches revealed by Hyundai

- Looking at how well kitted the car is and the sporty look with cuts and creases, sales guys at the dealer were overly excited about comfortably meeting their year-end sales targets

Overall a very nice looking car, multiple engine + transmission options, features that is usually found in a segment or two above = surely Hyundai has a winner in its hand. Hoping they price it aggressively to give Baleno and Altroz a run for its money.
Striker is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 20:06   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbidIqbalShaik View Post
Just came across a new video of the new Hyundai i20 for India parked at a dealership stockyard. This video confirms that the 1.2L (Petrol) CVT Asta variant of the car does not have cruise control and ESP. This is a huge bummer, at least for me. The top variant of the i20 (Asta Optional) has these features. However, the automatic transmission in Asta Optional variant is available only with a 3-cylinder engine.

https://Youtu.be/DxAon-_sWl0

While 3-cylinder engines have come a long way, I don't prefer them over 4-cylinder engines. Especially because they have uneven number of cylinders making them unbalanced, which not only creates more vibrations compared to a 4-cylinder engine (generally speaking) but also has less smoother power delivery. These engines also have lower low-end torque compared to a 1.2L 4-cylinder engine (in most cases) and they are less reliable in the long run compared to a 4-cylinder unit (at least in my opinion; other people might say differently). Plus, I have OCD, which means that I prefer even numbers over odd ones. Which is why, I was eyeing the 1.2L 4-cylinder (Petrol) CVT variant of the car. Unfortunately, that variant of the car is a no-go for me as it lacks cruise control and ESP, which, for me, are extremely important.

ESP, in my opinion, is a life-saving feature. I would prefer a car that has less airbags but comes equipped with ESP rather than a car that has more airbags but lacks ESP. Airbag is a passive life-saving feature in a car accident; it deploys when the car crashes. ESP, on the other hand, intelligently brakes each wheel to reduce your chances of a crash (by a huge margin in most cases). If you don't crash in the first place, you won't need airbags. After all, prevention is better than cure (I know this phrase doesn't go perfectly in this case but you get what I am trying to say).

Hyundai as expected does not provide ESP, even the new Honda city does not have ESP. People in India love Sunroof, ventillated seats to cool the behinds but dont prioritise ESP. What can we say lack of education? lack of awareness, I bet most automotive journalists can't explain how ESP works. Forget the media even TeamBHP Seltos review missed to point out the fact that Seltos diesel variants lack ESP.

"India, ranks 1st in the number of road accident deaths across the 199 countries reported in the World Road Statistics, 2018 followed by China and US."

Read more at:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...campaign=cppst

ESP is mandatory in EU from 2014. I really hope India as planned should make ESP and autonomous braking mandatory by 2023.

Between the new i20 ad "Unstoppable" just reminded me of the Kia/Hyundai brake issues.

Last edited by Godzilla : 4th November 2020 at 20:18.
Godzilla is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks