Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2020, 19:26   #106
BHPian

re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

I personally liked the design. Cleaner lines, less creases, very different from the outgoing version, but most importantly much more modern to my eyes. Yes, the rear is a bit at your face, and the front grill somehow resembles a snake's hissing mouth. . But overall, I like this.

This probably is going to be a bit lower in height than the current version, unless Hyundai tweaks the setup for India.

Ohh, found a glimpse of the actual interior as well. Looks like, somebody did not guard the car enough to hold the interior reveal till the Geneva motor show.

1. The dials are clock-wise, so no concern of unnatural movement on the tacho needle
2. The digital console and the infotainment screen together gel well to create a continuous field of vision with all necessary input.
3. Seems very upmarket, if Hyundai brings this as is to India, prepare for a shocker of a price.
Attached Thumbnails
Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-screen-shot-20200219-6.38.34-pm.png  

Last edited by cuboid : 19th February 2020 at 19:34. Reason: new image
cuboid is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 20:12   #107
Senior - BHPian

re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

Exterior design looks good but why does the dashboard reminds me of a window air conditioner
Old 19th February 2020, 20:30   #108
BHPian

Am I the only one who thinks this looks like a close relative of the Tata Altroz
ZenMaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 20:48   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this looks like a close relative of the Tata Altroz
Precisely my thoughts. That was the first thing that came to my mind. Especially from the side and rear. Though it's different at the front and looks good to my eyes. Kind of sophisticated. I think 'Sharp' is now the in-thing in hatchback designs. Suzuki needs to work on updating the Baleno soon, which looks pretty dated next to the Altroz.
Djay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 21:22   #110
BHPian

I personally liked the design not sure if they have a sunroof coming in as well, will be cool if they have one planned for.

Plonk in a great engine and we should rock !!
Old 19th February 2020, 21:38   #111
BHPian

Hmm...looks more nuanced. Much more subtle than the new i10 and it's disproportionate looking sedan twin, and much better looking than the horrendous SUVs it's been churning out. I think the new design language may have moved past the period of teenage awkwardness... hopefully.

Pretty sure much of the said equipment won't make it to our shores...still, I don't think Hyundai would back down, with the "golden standard" being here now. Will be quite interesting to see how Hyundai will price this competitively, hope it doesn't stop offering a 6-airbag variant like they did initially with the Elite i20.

The new manual transmission sounds interesting. Heard they're planning to use it in the upcoming Kia Sonet as well. Hope it doesn't turn out to be a complicated mess like the DCT, which they should've been discarding by now, following VW and Ford.

My big question is regarding safety. They played us like a damn fiddle, when they "Indianized" the Elite i20 with inferior build that earned a disappointing safety rating from Global-NCAP. Will Hyundai repeat the same thing by launching an inferior version with unstable structure, that is unsuitable for export to "developed" countries? Like the Venue, it's probably going to be a different version , on the Santo platform. That's a genuine cause of worry, with Tata Altroz hopping up and down the news with it's safety ratings.

The BS6 Figo is going to be a hard sell.
Old 19th February 2020, 22:38   #112
BHPian

In case any of you haven't seen it yet!!

Last edited by 2cents : 19th February 2020 at 22:39.
2cents is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 23:37   #113
BHPian

Really good design. Looks low slung in the video above (May be camera effect). It would have been challenging to Hyundai for upgrading the design of i20 as its already one of the best looking hatchbacks in India. But the design team has done a great job. Hope it will look even better in real.

It will dethrone Altroz in looks department and with the features being expected, it becomes a formidable contender in premium hatch back segment in India.

Hope they give multiple engine and transmission options to complete the package.
Old 20th February 2020, 02:22   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
At this point, I think the expectation is you trash Hyundai design by default

I personally find it to be a very attractive looking car. I sense Hyundai moving away from the fluid designs with all its swoops and curves to a plainer design.

Now the same 'minimalistic' approach is lauded in VAG but clearly doesn't sit well with the enthusiasts in a Hyundai.
The difference between VW and a Hyundai (in this case) is the entire design is seamless, not just the body shape. The head/ tail lights blend in seamlessly with the body of a VW car.

A clean body shape with scissor like tail lights is not a minimalistic design.

This car along with the new Creta will not age well. Just like any other car with random cuts, for the sake of being radical and edgy.
omar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 02:37   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
The difference between VW and a Hyundai (in this case) is the entire design is seamless, not just the body shape. The head/ tail lights blend in seamlessly with the body of a VW car.

A clean body shape with scissor like tail lights is not a minimalistic design.

This car along with the new Creta will not age well. Just like any other car with random cuts, for the sake of being radical and edgy.
Agreed! Hyundai doesn't wants it to age as well.
Unlike VW, Hyundai changes it's vehicle's design philosophy every 5 years and the next generation is always better than the predecessor which means they somewhere tempt it's buyer to either buy the newer version or upgrade to a better vehicle. Hence, I feel it's a much better strategy especially in a market like India where people love upgrading their vehicles every 4-5 years.
Old 20th February 2020, 12:28   #116
BHPian

Well, that’s a surprise. After a while the oblique H has put out a pleasing design. Modern, sleek, and minimally quirky. This one reminds me of the A-class from all sides except the rear.
The colour’s fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
If I've to name all the Hyundai group designers, its a scary list and full of ultra heavy hitters from huge brands like BMW, Audi, Bugatti, Bentley etc, Karim Habib, Sangyup Lee, Sasha Selipanov, Simon Loasby, Pierre Leclercq are a few...
Now if any one of them could help H with a new logo. This one is just too bulbous and pudgy, so 90’s.
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 13:43   #117
BHPian

Is this the same Design we are gonna get for India? As i saw in the post, the length of car seems to more than 4meters. I think the back is gonna look more like venue than compared to the pics. We may see some surprises on the front when it makes it to India. Only thing that it will share with Euro version could be engines.
Old 26th February 2020, 06:51   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

New i20, interiors revealed officially!

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-novohyundaii202021-1.jpg

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-novohyundaii202021-2.jpg

Source:Hyundai
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 07:47   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
So Hyundai’s new line of infotainment systems comes to India starting with the i20.

This infotainment system (and design) was recently seen on the new Sonata and the Palisade abroad.
Old 26th February 2020, 09:27   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Thanks for sharing.

Highly unlikely that we get this setup. The max I expect is Venue steering wheel, infotainment system along with the new digital Instrument cluster.

Hopefully, they come out with the 1.0 litre turbo and 7speed DCT. Though, knowing Hyundai they will do it in the sportz variant first and then wait for a few months to introduce the Asta variant.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed