Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2020, 11:43   #91
BHPian

re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

I liked the front and side profile of the new i20 but the rear feels way too overdone(and this is coming from a Nexon owner ). I hope Hyundai provides segment best interior which is their strength.

Now till the next gen or facelift of any B2 Hatch is launched, Altroz is the best looking premium hatch for me, and by a big margin.

Last edited by bblost : 18th February 2020 at 23:28. Reason: as requested
Neeraj1903 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 11:55   #92
Senior - BHPian

re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

Apart from the slightly over-the-top tail lamps, the rest of the design looks pretty coherent, especially compared to the Creta and the Aura. Infact, don't totally dislike the tail lamps as well. It's the guys marketing the Altroz, who will have a hard time now!
1100D is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 12:06   #93
BHPian

Some manufacturers are considering the word "Millenials" way too seriously! It all started with the Ignis, if i recall correctly. I wonder why they fail to understand that these so called Millenials themselves drool over the simplistic Polo and the tastefully done current gen i20. Aside the funky bits, the vehicle has a nice silhouette IMO.
Old 18th February 2020, 12:13   #94
BHPian

For me, the design looks more like Skoda/VW than that of Hyundai, which is a good thing if you ask me as they are known to age very well. That being said, even the current-gen i20 has the europian feel to it as it was designed in Germany.
Old 18th February 2020, 12:26   #95
HMV
BHPian

Actually, i love the overall design but what gets my goat is the overdone rear-end and that plastic piece on the C-Pillar which feels like an afterthought design element. However, I feel that this design is much better than the hideous designs of the Aura and the upcoming Creta. I think most people will love it in person than in the pics, just like what happened with the BMW’s new design-language.
Old 18th February 2020, 12:28   #96
BHPian

Spotted the test mule in Delhi this morning. The driver literally slowed down to a crawl after he spotted me clicking
Attached Thumbnails
Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-photo20200218084532.jpg  

ds.raikkonen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 12:29   #97
BHPian

Overall a pleasing design from Hyundai, after the recent polarizers (Aura & New Creta). Hopefully there is no mess up for India with additional chrome treatment.
Old 18th February 2020, 14:46   #98
BHPian

I am not really sold on the front end of the car. The rear section however looks cool and a good change from the current gen Elite i20's rear section.
Old 18th February 2020, 17:14   #99
BHPian

I just remembered that when altroz's studio pictures were revealed after Geneva motor show 2019, people had a very similar reaction. Guess, we need to check it in person to pass on a decisive comment, especially because Hyundai can change the design for Indian version.
One thing's for sure tho, that connected tail lamps are spoiling it for me. There are multiple ways to do that, what Hyundai is doing surely isn't one of them.
Old 18th February 2020, 17:45   #100
BHPian

Hyundai has been blatantly "borrowing" European design ques on it's cars for a long time now and this time, the "inspiration" seems to be from the Seat stable -

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-leon01.jpg

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-leon02.jpg

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-leon03.jpg
Pics Source: Google

Of course, being Hyundai, they had to go overboard with the design!

Last edited by Porschefire : 18th February 2020 at 17:48.
Porschefire is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 18:58   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Hyundai has been blatantly "borrowing" European design ques on it's cars for a long time now and this time, the "inspiration" seems to be from the Seat stable
The new Seat Leon was revealed only on Jan 28 of this year, and the design of the i20 was signed off far before the Leon was revealed. Please get your facts correct. And that extended light bar design was used on the new Sonata too, which was revealed far before the Leon.

That European influence comes from Hyundai hiring designers from the VW Group, BMW etc. That is why the Genesis GV80 looks similar to a Bentley Bentayga, because the designer of the GV80 once worked for VW Group.
BZ25 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 23:26   #102
BHPian

The concerns over the looks seem unnecessary. First, it's a render that we see in posts #79 and #82, and a fairly poor one at that. The color and lighting are too gloomy. Those thin profile tyres make the car look even weirder. This is a global unveil, in Geneva mind you, and i20 is one of stars in Hyundai's presentation. Very unlikely that they will get the looks wrong. The proportions we see in #78 (pg. 6), though under camo, look pretty decent. The question we should be asking instead is to what extent will Hyundai skim the structure and features in the version we are going to get in here?
Old 19th February 2020, 08:30   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

2021 Hyundai i20 Debuts(in Eu), gets a fully digital cockpit and also Mild Hybrid System.

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-2021hyundaii20screenshot.jpg

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-hyundaii20interiorsketch.jpg

Quote:
the new i20 comes in the tech department. Hyundai offers a 10.25-inch digital instrument cluster that combines with another 10.25-inch center touchscreen for a properly digital experience. Features such as wireless cell phone charging, wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and an eight-speaker Bose sound system are among the luxury options, and Hyundai offers all kinds of extras through its Bluelink Connected Car Services.
Quote:
Available systems include a navigation-based intelligent cruise control that can monitor the vehicle’s location and automatically adjust speed. Lane-keep assist and lane-departure warning, blind-spot monitoring and cross-traffic alert, and an upgraded forward-collision warning system that can detect pedestrians are all available on the new car.
Power-trains:
Quote:
the i20 gets a standard-issue 1.2-liter four-cylinder producing 83 horsepower (62 kilowatts) connected to a five-speed manual transmission. Hyundai’s 1.0-liter GDi turbo three-cylinder is optional, producing either 99 hp (74 kW) or 118 hp (88 kW) and it can be had with a 48-volt mild-hybrid powertrain. Shifting duties with the turbo are handled by either a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox or a new six-speed “intelligent” manual that will disconnect the transmission from the engine when the throttle is lifted.
PRESS RELEASE:(... excerpts)

Name:  11.PNG
Views: 4333
Size:  81.5 KB

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th February 2020 at 08:59.
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 09:14   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

I'll just put it simple.. this car isn't cohesive, its modern, it seems a segment above and tech wise it'll be class leading for sure.

But I'll always admire a car with a soulful design, the designs now are reflective of the chief designer Luc Donckerwolke, who spent his time designing Lamborghinis and Bentleys, unfortunately he saved his Bentley-esque luxury and styling for Genesis, and put Lambo roots for Hyundai, with sharp angular headlights, foglamp housings, overdone crystal quartz panelling etc.

It was going to be horribly difficult to come out of the era of legendary designer Peter Schreyer's well balanced, soulful designs but it had to be done (why though?). Design is a perspective and everyone is correct with their perspective so here's mine - I've always hated the boxy, straight line, soulless designs of VW since 2010, and since most of Hyundai designers today come from that same team (it goes into dozens of them if you count assistants to the bosses) Hyundai design is also slowly becoming soulless, less spacious, less family oriented cars and more sporty cars like Europeans tend to prefer. People like Peter Schreyer or Thomas Burkle who maintained a balance and still liked curves are not a key part of the team anymore.

If I've to name all the Hyundai group designers, its a scary list and full of ultra heavy hitters from huge brands like BMW, Audi, Bugatti, Bentley etc, Karim Habib, Sangyup Lee, Sasha Selipanov, Simon Loasby, Pierre Leclercq are a few of them, and each brought their own team of assistant designers, but perhaps too many Michelin star chefs, spoil the broth?

Last edited by dark.knight : 19th February 2020 at 09:16.
dark.knight is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 16:49   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasunBannerjee View Post
Received via whatsapp. Hyundai coming to a full circle of bringing ugly cars to the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
May I ask what you didn’t like about the render? IMO, if this is how the production spec will look like, I’d say it’s a darn good effort by Hyundai after the disappointment the Aura was and the Creta will be.
At this point, I think the expectation is you trash Hyundai design by default

I personally find it to be a very attractive looking car. I sense Hyundai moving away from the fluid designs with all its swoops and curves to a plainer design.

Now the same 'minimalistic' approach is lauded in VAG but clearly doesn't sit well with the enthusiasts in a Hyundai.
Stribog is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks