Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2020, 12:18   #271
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Yes, an i20 turbo petrol mated to the 7-speed DCT is on the prowl.
This is indeed great news, hope they also bring the 1.5D TC auto in the new i20. Either the 7DCT or 1.5D in polar white would be the exact spec I would go for. Wait for the pre-bookings to commence, sources from know dealerships in Chennai reveal that the deliveries would start from 1st week of Nov (most likely launch in mid-Oct).
Striker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 18:52   #272
BHPian

re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker View Post
This is indeed great news, hope they also bring the 1.5D TC auto in the new i20. Either the 7DCT or 1.5D in polar white would be the exact spec I would go for. Wait for the pre-bookings to commence, sources from know dealerships in Chennai reveal that the deliveries would start from 1st week of Nov (most likely launch in mid-Oct).
This is also the spec I am looking at.
However, just like the N-Line, even the 1.5D TC looks a bit difficult that it’ll turn into a reality. For one, there are absolutely NO Diesel automatics in this segment, let alone a proper TC or something. Also, the inclination of customer going for a diesel at first in a premium hatchback is lesser compared to a SC-SUV. Also, the Diesel TC will definitely push the price above the 10L mark which probably would be an overkill for a hatch segment.

Here’s a simple calculation for the Turbo petrol which for sure is confirmed,
Considering (I am being really optimistic here) Hyundai launches the 1.0L DCT in top spec Asta (O) variant:
- Current 1.2L Asta (O) ex-Delhi: 8.30L
- Add 1.0L Turbo: 9.30L
- Add a DCT: 10.30L

And I am not even considering a mandatory price bump that comes with every generation change.
A simple 1L Turbo DCT top spec itself breaks through the 10 lakhs price barrier.
This also makes me think if at all Hyundai will launch the Turbo DCT in Asta (O) variant! Knowing them for their step-motherly treatment that they’ve been giving for the automatic variants, I have my doubts if the Asta (O) DCT will see the light of the day.
Having said that, I am secretly hoping that they do launch the i20 in 1.5D TC guise for us Dieselheads.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 6th October 2020 at 19:02.
ashvek3141 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 23:26   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
The probability of launching the N-Line looks a bit remote IMHO, primarily there isn’t any strong competition for that variant per se. It would probably have been possible if the Tata Altroz JTP was in consideration. It would have definitely made a strong case for Hyundai to launch the N line. But in the current scenario there isn’t any proper ‘performance hatch’ in the segment from the competition; and I feel the 1.0 7DCT would suffice major of the enthusiasts requirement, especially now that the Polo GT TSI DSG is outta picture.
I think the N line i20 comes with the same 1.0 TGDI with 120 ps. The only extras compared to the regular 1.0 7DCT will be tweaked suspension and cosmetic changes. So, in a sense the N line is par for the course with everyone in the segment slowly moving towards turbo charged small capacity engines.
Old 7th October 2020, 00:23   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
I think the N line i20 comes with the same 1.0 TGDI with 120 ps. The only extras compared to the regular 1.0 7DCT will be tweaked suspension and cosmetic changes. So, in a sense the N line is par for the course with everyone in the segment slowly moving towards turbo charged small capacity engines.
Well, there are even rumours that the 1.0L turbo engine in the i20 will be tuned to 100bhp akin to the i10 NIOS and AURA. Internationally too, it is available in 2 different state of tunes:
1. 100bhp, Turbo
2. 120bhp turbo + Mild Hybrid.

The second option for sure is not planned for the Indian market. Also, since the Verna gets the 120bhp turbo petrol, I am having my doubts whether Hyundai will launch the engine with the similar state of tune in a car that is a segment lower.
Pretty sure, the i20 won't be slouch with 100bhp on tap; but a 120bhp will definitely make it fly!
Old 7th October 2020, 11:52   #275
BHPian

While new technologies are always welcome, what I feel is that these automakers should focus more on providing torque convertor gearboxes instead of these DCTs as DCTs do not seem very suitable to our road traffic conditions as they are prone to heating under heavy traffic(considering most of us buy these commuter hatchbacks only for daily commuting!)

Last edited by theAutomaniac : 7th October 2020 at 11:54.
theAutomaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 12:23   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

2021 Hyundai i20 N Teased, Technical Specifications Released:

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-n.png

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-hyundai-i20n-11.jpg

Quote:
The heart and soul of the small sporty hatch will be a 1.6-liter gasoline engine producing 201 horsepower and 203 pound-feet (275 Newton-meters) of torque
Quote:
The smallest of the N models will be offered only with a six-speed manual transmission working together with a limited-slip differential offered as standard or optional, depending on the market. Tipping the scales at just under 1,200 kilograms (2,645 pounds), the i20 N will hit 62 mph (100 km/h) from a standstill in 6.7 seconds and top out at a respectable 143 mph (230 km/h).
Quote:
a Euro-spec Hyundai, the punchy four-pot is said to have little turbo lag and offer the full horsepower at an estimated 6,000 rpm. Torque kicks in at around 2,000 rpm and that do-it-yourself transmission offers silky smooth gear changes. When you need to stop, the 320-mm front discs will do the heavy lifting.

In regards to suspension, the i20 N has a reinforced MacPherson strut setup at the front axle and a beefier torsion beam rear arrangement. Behind the seats, a removable low brace akin to what you’ll find on the larger i30 N runs across the wheel arches
The Hyundai i20 N will go on sale in Europe next spring.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th October 2020 at 12:29.
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 16:41   #277
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai i20 spotted with tail lights in action

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-20201009_163709.jpg

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-20201009_163712.jpg

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-20201009_163714.jpg

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-20201009_163717.jpg

Source : MotorBeam

Last edited by Venkatesh : 9th October 2020 at 16:46.
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 16:46   #278
Senior - BHPian

I saw the i20 an hour ago on Mathura Road, Faridabad. Fortunately, there was a 4th Gen City side by side the i20. In cameo i20 looks wider than last gen City. Moreover, it's ride seemed much more stable than City & 2014 i20 that my brother has. Moreover, the OVRM design is slightly different & looks nicely different.

Rest all observations are in line with my previous observations already posted here.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 18:07   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Hyundai i20 spotted with tail lights in action
Don’t know for how long Hyundai’s gonna keep testing this car!! The festive season is just around the corner and we don’t have any concrete launch dates.
By the looks of it, I doubt if at all it’ll make a public debut anytime in this month.
Old 9th October 2020, 21:17   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
By the looks of it, I doubt if at all it’ll make a public debut anytime in this month.
My city's dealership informed me that the new generation will be released during Diwali. I think they need to sell off the surplus Elite i20 from their yards before introducing the new generation as I saw the dealerships aggressively marketing the Elite i20 to the prospective customers. The 75k additional discount from the company is helping them even further to market it as a lucrative offering.

An observation : The international spec variant seems to have a range of goodies like Bose Audio, Ventilated seats etc which we've already seen Hyundai-Kia providing in their existing range of Indian offerings. But I really doubt if the fully digital 10.25" MID would make it to the Indian version given its elder brother Creta has a hybrid of analog guages and a smaller 7.78 cm Digital Supervision Cluster. Also the wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay coupled with the extensive ambient lighting might be skipped given the trend. Thoughts, team ?
Old 9th October 2020, 23:29   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandatrooper View Post
An observation : The international spec variant seems to have a range of goodies like Bose Audio, Ventilated seats etc which we've already seen Hyundai-Kia providing in their existing range of Indian offerings. But I really doubt if the fully digital 10.25" MID would make it to the Indian version given its elder brother Creta has a hybrid of analog guages and a smaller 7.78 cm Digital Supervision Cluster. Also the wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay coupled with the extensive ambient lighting might be skipped given the trend. Thoughts, team ?
I think the features like Digital Instrument cluster, like the one we have seen on the Verna; possibly an 8” Infotainment system, if not a 10 incher; sunroof, etc will make it to the Indian version. However, what I do doubt are the feature set like the Ventilated seats, a full leather upholstery, ambient lighting and other elite features making their cut.

By & large, I presume majority of the features will be identical to the Venue. I doubt Hyundai will offer anything more then that since the competition doesn’t offer anything substantial to make a compelling case for them. A sunroof itself will be a big draw in the premium hatch segment.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 16:29   #282
BHPian

Just read the news somewhere on internet that Hyundai Brazil's i20 crash test rating was downgraded to 1 star when the authorities decided to randomly check the vehicle.
The same model was awarded 3 star previously.

Are we waiting for 'Crash Test gate' to emerge now similar to 'Dieselgate'?

Yes, Hyundai i20 from India is a different car altogether compared to Brazil but I don't expect Hyundai to be genuinely concerned about Indian lives, looking at their past track record.

I would say better avoid all the flash, bling, luxury, etc. and opt for better, safer car available in the market.

Source of article - Rushlane
DrCar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 16:43   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCar View Post
Just read the news somewhere on internet that Hyundai Brazil's i20 crash test rating was downgraded to 1 star when the authorities decided to randomly check the vehicle.

Just checked the article you are talking about- it's for a Brazil specific car called HB20 and the article clearly states that it is not the same as the global or India spec i20 but a different car.

Nonetheless, Hyundai's lack of focus on the safety related aspects of it's cars and not giving GNCAP ratings for India specced cars is indeed an issue, and a safety conscious buyer will probably feel happier going for an Altroz.
Shreyas_H is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 20:20   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCar View Post

Are we waiting for 'Crash Test gate' to emerge now similar to 'Dieselgate'?

The article was true, but seems like you didn't read the article carefully buddy!

Actually, that HB20 is not related to current or upcoming i20 in any sense whatsoever. The HB20 is a hatchback based on the 1st gen model's PB platform.

What raises my concern though is, if Hyundai Brasil can do such malpractices, why not Hyundai India??
But then, people here do not really care about safety hence they might not make it 4 star rated even for the initial models!
They'll just stick the ICOTY'20 stickering all over the car and our fellow Indians will flock into their showrooms like a herd of sheep even if it is rated just 2 stars!
theAutomaniac is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 12:25   #285
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai i20 spotted again

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-smartselect_20201011121807_chrome.jpg

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-smartselect_20201011121745_chrome.jpg

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-smartselect_20201011121737_chrome.jpg

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-smartselect_20201011121819_chrome.jpg

https://www.rushlane.com/2020-hyunda...-12378768.html
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks