Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2020, 15:40   #421
BHPian

re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
This car is sure to sell like hot cakes, of course tailing the Baleno. I don't have any doubts about that.
That's a great piece of information, especially for those who are planning on buying the new i20. Thanks!

Did you get a chance to check out if the IRVM has an auto-dimming feature or if the day/night adjustment has to be done manually?

Also, do you have any info if the infotainment system has wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay? The international variant has it.
AbidIqbalShaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 17:29   #422
BHPian

re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
The primary reason why the DSG was sacked for a torque converter was because of its inherent unreliability. Dual Clutch Transmissions, especially the dry ones, are still not reliable across manufacturers.

DCT does not always mean fun. It's all about the tuning. The Jeep Compass DCT is a prime example of why tuning the gearbox properly matters.
Both, the DQ200 and DQ250 have been historically unreliable, true. I'm no engineer, just a petrol head but from my limited understanding of the issues that have been discussed at length on this very website by people who are infact engineers and do know what they're talking about, if you subject gearboxes with maximum torque ratings of 200Nm and 250Nm to engines that produce a maximum of 200Nm and 250Nm respectively, it'll cause them to run at their very limits every time the vehicle is used- which is far too much stress for the mechanicals of the gearbox, especially factoring in the abysmal weather and traffic conditions of our country.

I believe Hyundai would be aware of these issues too and would've factored them into the design and manufacturing of their DCTs. Hopefully the initial few niggles are just that- and firmly in the past!

The DCT in the Venue feels extremely well tuned and well matched to the scrappy little turbo-petrol. Hopefully it's more of the same in the i20.
Singh101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 18:15   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
The primary reason why the DSG was sacked for a torque converter was because of its inherent unreliability. Dual Clutch Transmissions, especially the dry ones, are still not reliable across manufacturers.

DCT does not always mean fun. It's all about the tuning. The Jeep Compass DCT is a prime example of why tuning the gearbox properly matters.
The DSG was sacked mainly because of cost. VW/Skoda is still continuing with the same gearbox in their more premium offering like the TROC/Karoq. Reliability might be a second consideration as well.

I agree with the statement that DCT does not mean fun. The Compass DCT is such a lousy performer and was the main reason why I had to drop the Compass from my list though my heart was set on it. I have driven the Seltos DCT which is good but I still rate the 1.2 TSI-DSG as a better combination when it comes to responsiveness and super quick shifts.

On the topic of the I20, I just hate the looks of it. There's something terribly wrong with the design language of the new Hyundais. The last generation of Hyundais were so beautifully designed, these ones are just too funky and garish for my taste.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 18:29   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

There are two things different in the what the sketches show and what has been seen in the form of spy shots.
1. Volume knob for the touchscreen which was not seen on the spy shot. (If they offer one excellent!)
2. Dual zone climate control will surely not be there on the Indian car as seen in the sketches released by Hyundai.
Old 26th October 2020, 19:12   #425
Senior - BHPian

The firt gen i20 in India (and i10) had a sunroof and that went away .. haven't brought it back yet, I see.
Old 26th October 2020, 19:18   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The firt gen i20 in India (and i10) had a sunroof and that went away .. haven't brought it back yet, I see.
I think the new gen i20 sports a sunroof in its highest end variant. I have seen some images to prove the same.
Old 26th October 2020, 19:27   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid__kaps View Post
I think the new gen i20 sports a sunroof in its highest end variant. I have seen some images to prove the same.
Wonderful so they are back to where they were about a decade back in time.
Old 26th October 2020, 23:26   #428
BHPian

Some walk around videos compilation:

Asta (o) [video]:

Asta/Asta(o) (While/Red color):

Asta /Asta (o) [Images]:

Magna [Video]:
Old 26th October 2020, 23:29   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbidIqbalShaik View Post
Did you get a chance to check out if the IRVM has an auto-dimming feature or if the day/night adjustment has to be done manually?

Also, do you have any info if the infotainment system has wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay? The international variant has it.
Sadly, the IRVM has a regular manual adjuster. Too bad, Hyundai is counting pennies here.

The infotainment system available on the top spec variant is a direct lift from the Sonet. Exactly the same, except the UI which is typical Hyundai-blue. Hence, there is no wireless projection in that particular system.
However, the lower variants (8” systems) should be sporting one. Just like the Sonet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
There are two things different in the what the sketches show and what has been seen in the form of spy shots.
1. Volume knob for the touchscreen which was not seen on the spy shot. (If they offer one excellent!)
2. Dual zone climate control will surely not be there on the Indian car as seen in the sketches released by Hyundai.
1. No volume knobs in the 10.25” screen. Maybe present in the lower variants.
2. No dual-zone climate control either.

Quote:
Quote:
Wonderful so they are back to where they were about a decade back in time.
Yes, the sunroof is offered ONLY in the turbo DCT Asta (O).

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 26th October 2020 at 23:30.
ashvek3141 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 06:49   #430
Senior - BHPian

Coming back to 1st gen i20 features - all 4 disc brakes. What do we have in this one?

Look at this extract from the tbhp review

Quote:
What you’ll like:

• Top notch quality inside out. New Fluidic styling works
• Class-leading equipment list (auto headlamps & wipers, keyless entry & go, reverse camera, electric folding ORVMs etc.)
• Fast, fuel-efficient diesel engine mated to a smooth 6 speed gearbox
• Amongst the more spacious hatchbacks. Comfortable for 4, or even the occasional 5
• Big, practical 295 liter boot
• 5 star safety equipment & rating. Upto 6 airbags, all-wheel disc brakes, ABS & EBD
If you pick up a diesel i20 top end from that generation it is a treasure. Narrowly missed out on one when I was last shopping for a car.

Last edited by hserus : 27th October 2020 at 06:52.
hserus is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 09:06   #431
BHPian

Seems like Hyundai has postponed the launch of the i20 to the 1st week of Nov.
As per my SA, it is now scheduled somewhere between 3rd or 4th Nov. I don’t understand why Hyundai is delaying the launch of an already delayed car!

If it’s something to do with generating a market hype, then I guess it has already done enough & Hyundai shouldn’t test the patience of their perspective buyers anymore.

Can anybody please confirm this news, if at all it is true? I was eagerly waiting to see this car in all it’s glory tomorrow. Alas!
Old 27th October 2020, 09:13   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Coming back to 1st gen i20 features - all 4 disc brakes. What do we have in this one?
One more bit, IIRC the Sportz and Asta trims also had alloy spare wheel - just adding to your list, not that I'm any hopeful in these days of space savers.
Old 27th October 2020, 09:43   #433
BHPian

Quote:
One more bit, IIRC the Sportz and Asta trims also had alloy spare wheel - just adding to your list, not that I'm any hopeful in these days of space savers.
I happend to own the Y-gen i20 sportz diesel. Spare was a steel full size, not an alloy. But feature list was fantastic
  • 4 wheel disc
  • auto dimming irvm
  • auto wipers
  • abs + ebd
  • rear view camera
  • rear parking sensors
  • cooled glove box
  • dead pedal
  • steering - reach and rake adjust
  • LED drls
  • rear ac vents (below the seats)
  • rear parcel tray
  • Airbag
I know many of the features are now taken for granted, but back in 2012, many of these features were not offered in any car in the category
dgogold is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 10:12   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgogold View Post
I know many of the features are now taken for granted, but back in 2012, many of these features were not offered in any car in the category
Hyundai had really set the benchmark for the premium hatch segment in terms of the sheer amount of the features offered. Sad, they chose to follow the masses with their newer generation launches.
But even then, it still gives way more kit in comparison to it’s direct competitors.

But I am glad that they got the 6 airbags back with this generation i20, along with the other safety tech. Kudos to that!
Old 27th October 2020, 10:32   #435
BHPian

Glad to see there are no gloss black plastics inside the interior, everything is either matt or brushed finish. I'm happy they went with an all black/dark interior, this suits the handsome exterior.
TaurusSHO is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks