Team-BHP - The most timeless car designs ever...
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   The most timeless car designs ever... (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/210055-most-timeless-car-designs-ever-7.html)

I might draw brickbats for saying this, but I will stick my neck out all the same. Yes, it has been a big disaster, sales wise and perception wise. The 2-cylinder engine is a sore. However, I find the Nano design to be timeless. It has always been a head-turner for many. Even today, when I take it on the highways and overtake any car, it catches attention.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4602661)
Will also add the beautiful E39 to this list:

The E39 would have to be the most elegant car I have seen in the flesh here in India :thumbs up

I have owned Honda City Type II, VW Jetta and Honda Civic all of which I consider as cars with timeless design. Some other mentions:

1. Mitsubishi Lancer
2. Maruti Suzuki Zen Carbon edition (3 door) - remember anyone?
3. Mahindra Classic and Thar. Hope they keep the classic look intact with the 2020 Thar.
4. Chevy Cruze. Probably the first affordable modern muscle car in India! With an apt body kit the car looks absolutely stunning.
5. Skoda Octavia (2013- present)
6. VW Polo
7. Ford Figo Second Gen (Pre-facelift)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4602326)
There are cars, and there are timeless cars. ...]

Agree with most of them except Swift and the Beetle. Not only are they ugly looking, their claim to fame is sheer numbers (Swift) and a movie (Beetle). While the Porche is no head-turner in the looks department, it has carved a unique identity for itself as a complete package and hence is timeless design (not timeless beauty).

Some cars I would buy even today with that same design...
Original Golf
Dodge Challenger
Lancer (of course)

2 timeless beauties next to a timeless beast that Land Rover has recklessly decided to infuse with technology and make less of a beast, regardless of which I will still buy when it launches here in India for the first time ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 4603022)
well folks we are on Page 5. But where is the timeless queen of all The Bugatti Royale I cannot imagine this group without it. Can someone agree, and post it.

Page 7 now Sir.

We have everything in here that has been on sale so far, WagonR is missing I suppose.

The Queen then is on its ninth and probably final one yet. This one is not as eye catchy as the personal car of Mr. Bugatti himself but significant nevertheless. (Link : http://theoldmotor.com/?p=158522)

The most timeless car designs ever...-bugattiprototypereplica.jpg

Here's my list-
1- Dodge Challenger
2- Contessa Classic
3- Toyota AE86- (One of the very few RWD Hatch)
4- Landmaster
5- Palio S10
6- Golf MK1
7- Zen- 3 and 5 door
9- Esteem
10- Baleno 1.6
11- Lancer Evo
12- Swift- G13B and Diesel
13- Ford Fiesta 1.6S
14- Scorpio 2.6
15- Bolero
16- Chevy Cruze
17- Octavia Vrs
18- Premier Padmini
19- Honda Accord (old)
20- Tata Safari Dicor
21- LR Defender
22- Pajero SFX
23- Datsun 240Z
24- Plymouth Barracuda

As GTO said, the definition for timeless may differ for different persons. My definition would be sometime like this: If the mechanicals and drive-train of the car were updated to today's standard without absolutely any modification to the exteriors, would I buy it today? If yes, then I would consider the design as timeless. Also, I have included only the cars that are/were available for sale in India. With the preliminaries out of the way, here is my list, albeit a short one:

1. VW Polo: Well proof of the pudding is in the eating. It was mentioned in another thread that this version had seen the maximum number of drive trains of any car in India. Yet, it still looks wonderful and does decent numbers even today after being around for about 10 years. I had the sedan version Vento (which is also good, but Polo looks better) for more than 6 years and I actually considered replacing it with another one in the automatic form. If this isn't timeless, I don't know what is.

2. Fiat Linea: Absolutely gorgeous, without being too flashy. Even today, I take a second look when a well maintained Linea passes by. Really sad that Fiat did not do well here.

3. Honda Civic: This is still one of the best lookers on the road today. If this was put besides the new version, there is absolutely no doubt about which one I would choose; absolutely no comparison.

VW Jetta, Mitsubishi Lancer, MS Zen are the few others that come to mind, but the above three are a cut above the rest for me. Apologies to SUV lovers, nothing comes to my mind as I was never enamoured with that body form.

Speaking of timeless designs both these ladies are the best ones that I've ever owned.

Punto 2014: Turned heads in Red where ever I went.
Jeep Compass: As the time passes it'll only become iconic.

Lancia Stratos
Suzuki Swift first generation
Citroen DS 19/20/21 series from the 60's
Lamborghini Miura
Porsche 911

Iconic, path breaking designs by people passionately in love with automobiles

My Fav is the Polo which still looks fresh and timeless. The paint is one area which never fades and that keeps the car looking fresh even after 10 years. I think the European designs be it with any product is always more master class than any other nations products.

Our 2009 Polo and 2018 Polo

For me it's the first generation XC60 post facelift. Turns heads everywhere it goes

I know that she has got her well deserved mention multiple times in this thread already, but I just had to. Arguably one of the most timeless designs that came to our shores and didn't break the bank of the patrons, in the most eye catching colour after the Aquaris Blue.
The most timeless car designs ever...-lrm_export_2634688679761429_20190612_221045217.jpeg

She completed 4 years this May, and has more than 55k kms on the clock now. So lucky to have been charmed by this beauty. This picture was clicked just a couple of days back.

The other timeless design for me has earned a feature here as well, but had to post it again owing to this underrated colour combination, which is my favourite. The humble, soulful and easy going Jap that could take you anywhere. A lot of dreams, including mine, were shattered earlier this year when this went out of production. The legendary MG413W, ladies and gentlemen. The most timeless car designs ever...-img_789001.jpeg

Long live the King! clap:

Posting on Team-BHP after a long time, might have gone overboard with the emotions. :)

Neel

I would like to add 2 cars which I think has timeless design... Honda Civic and HM Contessa Classic. I was fortunate to own the latter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PNTLovesNano (Post 4603459)
Even today, when I take it on the highways and overtake any car, it catches attention.

That's because it wasn't designed to overtake other cars.

The Honda City Third Generation beyond the shadows of doubt!

One of the most phenomenal and eliven mark.